Bullnose Forums

Alternator replace, advice please

One thing that was partly brought up was the single belt and the belt slipping making noise.

I here most of the time this happens at start up when you just pulled a lot out of the battery and the ALT is trying to charge it back up.

You can install a slow start regulator into the ALT. This will bring the ALT on slowly and keeps the belt from slipping and making noise.

When my 1G ALT goes out and I go with the 3G ALT because I only have a single belt this is the way I am going to go, slow start up.

Dave ----

Dave,

LRC (load response control) regulators are white instead of grey and are common in luxobarges like big Lincoln's.

They were designed to eliminate hunting idle when power accessories like heated adjusting seats and limos with two AC systems kick on.

Not really any more expensive in the aftermarket.

They are available with different ramp times.

This has been discussed in the other thread.

Dave,

LRC (load response control) regulators are white instead of grey and are common in luxobarges like big Lincoln's.

They were designed to eliminate hunting idle when power accessories like heated adjusting seats and limos with two AC systems kick on.

Not really any more expensive in the aftermarket.

They are available with different ramp times.

This has been discussed in the other thread.

I had belt slippage on Darth even with the polygroove belt and no Thermactor pump (more pulley wrap), I installed a slightly larger pulley, and no more problem.

After careful consideration, im just ordering the 130 amp from DB electric as this seems like the smart and financially prudent option. After digging deeper, oreily was only selling reman 1g. And any 2 or 3g were also reman and cost considerably more than DBs $78 new alternator.

Will be visiting a yard tomorrow or the day after in search of wiring harness, charge cable, and fuse. Ideally all in one shot like the one on the write up. I believe i am looking for a mid 90s ford? Truck, tarus, or aerostar correct?

After careful consideration, im just ordering the 130 amp from DB electric as this seems like the smart and financially prudent option. After digging deeper, oreily was only selling reman 1g. And any 2 or 3g were also reman and cost considerably more than DBs $78 new alternator.

Will be visiting a yard tomorrow or the day after in search of wiring harness, charge cable, and fuse. Ideally all in one shot like the one on the write up. I believe i am looking for a mid 90s ford? Truck, tarus, or aerostar correct?

Yes, that should do.

In another recent thread I listed all the items needed with part numbers and cost.

It came to $35 to have everything new, compared to the $80 cost of the Painless 3G wiring conversion kit.

Yes, that should do.

In another recent thread I listed all the items needed with part numbers and cost.

It came to $35 to have everything new, compared to the $80 cost of the Painless 3G wiring conversion kit.

Thank you! For ease of reference i found the post i think.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/1982-Bronco-Alternator-wiring-mess-tp28361p28708.html

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/1982-Bronco-Alternator-wiring-mess-tp28361p28817.html

Yes, that should do.

Thank you! For ease of reference i found the post i think.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/1982-Bronco-Alternator-wiring-mess-tp28361p28708.html

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/1982-Bronco-Alternator-wiring-mess-tp28361p28817.html

I understand how it is to be in a tight spot and needing the truck as a DD. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

If you are going this route and the parts list was helpful, perhaps Gary could include it in the resource page.

I can make every item a clickable link but over time URL's become dead so maybe that's not a great idea..

I wish you luck and hope BuggTruck is back to charging better than ever soon.

I understand how it is to be in a tight spot and needing the truck as a DD. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

If you are going this route and the parts list was helpful, perhaps Gary could include it in the resource page.

I can make every item a clickable link but over time URL's become dead so maybe that's not a great idea..

I wish you luck and hope BuggTruck is back to charging better than ever soon.

Jim - If you make the items hot-links I'll copy all that over. But you said the Resource page and I was thinking the 3G swap page. So, how 'bout both?

And while the links will break over time, perhaps if we choose wisely they'll last for quite a while.

I hope to get some quiet time on Wednesday or Thursday when I can work on this.

Jim - If you make the items hot-links I'll copy all that over. But you said the Resource page and I was thinking the 3G swap page. So, how 'bout both?

And while the links will break over time, perhaps if we choose wisely they'll last for quite a while.

I hope to get some quiet time on Wednesday or Thursday when I can work on this.

I'm sorry for my vernacular Gary...

I meant to differentiate a static page here at the garagemahal from an ongoing thread.

I see that as a resource, rather than banter or Q&A

I'll see if I can find some time to tether my tablet, as using nabble on my phone is a 'challenge'.

I found the recommended db electric alternator on amazon with guaranteed 2 day prime shiping with delivery on Wednesday. Was only a few dollars more ($82.80 + tax) but i trust Amazon to get it here very quickly and easier to return if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007XUIF52/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_kpCeDbJWY79KT

On the hotlink note, do you have an amazon referral account? Its not much return but you would get a tiny amount $$$ anytime someone were to click through and buy from your amazon referral links.

I am a bit lost though on your $35 price list, i dont see the actual plug that snaps on the alternator. Will this work?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HSILIR6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_CKDeDb8S9KV40

I found the recommended db electric alternator on amazon with guaranteed 2 day prime shiping with delivery on Wednesday. Was only a few dollars more ($82.80 + tax) but i trust Amazon to get it here very quickly and easier to return if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007XUIF52/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_kpCeDbJWY79KT

On the hotlink note, do you have an amazon referral account? Its not much return but you would get a tiny amount $$$ anytime someone were to click through and buy from your amazon referral links.

I am a bit lost though on your $35 price list, i dont see the actual plug that snaps on the alternator. Will this work?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HSILIR6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_CKDeDb8S9KV40

There are two plugs that connect to the alternator. The regulator plug and the stator plug.

So you need the Pico 5747PT as well.

In that thread you linked I posted an eBay 'buy it now' that is selling the plugs as a set for less than either.

I don't have an Amazon referral account. But if you use Amazon Smile, I would much rather the pennies (or tenths) go to a charity of your choosing.