Bullnose Forums

Alternator replace, advice please

I have one, and I use it. It does save time and keeps you cleaner, but I still get messy. So the gloves get used a lot when I do that.

Gary, I figure that between the nasty cleaner I used to use at Preston, the stuff I worked around in the shipyard, asbestos dust from Mercedes-Benz brakes etc., if I haven't died from it by now I am probably not going to. My biggest risk is colon cancer that my mother died from in 1970 at age 51. As a result I get to drink crap and get probed every two - three years.

Gary, I figure that between the nasty cleaner I used to use at Preston, the stuff I worked around in the shipyard, asbestos dust from Mercedes-Benz brakes etc., if I haven't died from it by now I am probably not going to. My biggest risk is colon cancer that my mother died from in 1970 at age 51. As a result I get to drink crap and get probed every two - three years.

Whatever was in that old formula Hydro Seal dip was absolutely evil 👿

Remember when Gumout used to crackle coming out of the can?

I worked in several laboratories for a well known company's refinery and chemical plant. I remember reaching into the cabinet for Oleum with all safety personal protective equipment on. The bottle was heavy [very dense] and when the top was removed, vapor [sulfuric acid] immediately came out.

Industrial work can be dangerous as has already been pointed out.

I worked in several laboratories for a well known company's refinery and chemical plant. I remember reaching into the cabinet for Oleum with all safety personal protective equipment on. The bottle was heavy [very dense] and when the top was removed, vapor [sulfuric acid] immediately came out.

Industrial work can be dangerous as has already been pointed out.

Liquid rather than solid?

We're you making explosives? :nabble_smiley_what:

H2SO4 + trioxides is very dense.

Not mercury dense, but almost twice the SG of water.

Liquid rather than solid?

We're you making explosives? :nabble_smiley_what:

H2SO4 + trioxides is very dense.

Not mercury dense, but almost twice the SG of water.

It was used in the refining process. It was handled in a fume box. It was very slippery, so if any got on the glass bottles, it made for a dangerous situation.

It was used in the refining process. It was handled in a fume box. It was very slippery, so if any got on the glass bottles, it made for a dangerous situation.

Petroleum refining?

Alkane catalyst?

Hence the name Oleum (oil)

**** It's ok. Most of us know (most of) what's going on at Oak Ridge. LOL :nabble_smiley_tongue:

The stuff we used made Hydro Seal look tame. Any plastic pieces like an Autolite fast idle lever left in longer than a couple of minutes came out as mush. One of my employees left an AFB in overnight (forgot about it while we were pulling customers cars inside that were left overnight) next day the brass tubes were brittle and crumbled and the carb body and cover were copper colored (plated).

Fortunately I was able to get a new one for the customer.

The stuff we used made Hydro Seal look tame. Any plastic pieces like an Autolite fast idle lever left in longer than a couple of minutes came out as mush. One of my employees left an AFB in overnight (forgot about it while we were pulling customers cars inside that were left overnight) next day the brass tubes were brittle and crumbled and the carb body and cover were copper colored (plated).

Fortunately I was able to get a new one for the customer.

The old Hydro Seal would eat all the brass out of a carb overnight.

This new stuff.... ha!

Why bother?

We used to get an ELF race gas in a turquoise can that we had to blow and then rinse out of the bikes every day.

It would eat the bowls of the carbs and completely dissolve the bottoms of aluminum tanks otherwise.

That stuff smelt like nothing else before or since (but it did pass tech back then)

I just noticed you removed your AIR pump entirely.

I'd suggested getting that belt out of the way.

Did you find you needed more access?

Was it that you couldn't see what was going on?

At any rate I'm going to make the suggestion that you thoroughly grease the alternator pivot bolt and the pivot hole of the alternator so it cannot seize in the future.

Ounce of prevention and all that.....

Yeah there was no room really to finnagle around between the air pump and fan shroud. It was easy to take off. Still had to reach up from the bottom to reinstall alternator. Amazon delayed my wires till today so i just finished putting everything back together. Truck runs.

Now, how the help do i get the alternator belt tight enough to make it stop screaming? :nabble_smiley_scared:

Yeah there was no room really to finnagle around between the air pump and fan shroud. It was easy to take off. Still had to reach up from the bottom to reinstall alternator. Amazon delayed my wires till today so i just finished putting everything back together. Truck runs.

Now, how the help do i get the alternator belt tight enough to make it stop screaming? :nabble_smiley_scared:

It screams all the time, or it just chirps on startup?

Don't tighten the belt too much.

It will kill the bearings in the alternator.

How big a pry bar are you using to tension it?

How much deflection do you get midspan?

Is your old belt glazed, or did you replace it?

What is the state of charge of your battery?

If you charge the battery fully does the squeal stop then?

Sorry for all the questions.

Just trying to think it through.