Bullnose Forums

Alternator replace, advice please

Okay so ive been away a while but BuggTruck's alternator has been on the fritz and finally went out in the freeway with a puff of smoke. Literally. Luckily i got off the road and got the battery unhooked before flames.

Now easy would be to get a 70 amp reman from oreily. But i wouldn't mind upgrading to a 3g. I see the alternator page has much more info on it than before and yet i still am lost. Theres almost no info regarding the 90amp (which should fit with no grinding, and no change to belt layout).

Now i wouldnt mind considering an upgrade to the 130 amp, but with a CA smog pump, i have no idea what i would do to the belts. 🤷‍♂️

I have one empty groove but that is for the compressor as soon as i fix the seized clutch pulley.

While we're all here, any tips to make getting the alternator out easier? :nabble_anim_confused:

20190623_200757.jpg.c69ab3e60021706a1755b25f6192f19e.jpg

20190623_200808.jpg.ae0b7027132de75bc7c1eae8216e5068.jpg

20190624_000350.jpg.c36e7097d80cf59060e5cc6ab5ecdb62.jpg

You have V-belts so there's no need to grind anything, that's for serpentine brackets.

You will still need to flatten the adjuster arm because the 3G mount ears are thicker.

You will also need the 8.25" mounting ears because the 7" will not allow the alternator to adjust.

My truck had dual smog pumps and no belt layout change was needed.

The stock belt fits fine, that's what I used until I went to an L&L swap bracket.

Back off the AIR pump adjuster and get that belt out of the way first.

If the pivot bolt is seized in the alternator there is no easy way to remove the alternator.

Either cut the casting along the length of the bolt in two places and remove the alternator sideways, or drill a hole in the high side and drop some hydrochloric acid in there to eat away the corrosion.

(be careful of eyes and lungs if you go this route)

If you really want a 90A 3G alternator you will have to find one in a '93-'95 pickup....

F1PU-10346-DA

F3HT-10300-GB

You have V-belts so there's no need to grind anything, that's for serpentine brackets.

You will still need to flatten the adjuster arm because the 3G mount ears are thicker.

You will also need the 8.25" mounting ears because the 7" will not allow the alternator to adjust.

The stock belt fits fine, that's what I used until I went to an L&L swap bracket.

If the pivot bolt is seized in the alternator there is no easy way to remove the alternator.

Either cut the casting along the length of the bolt in two places and remove the alternator sideways, or drill a hole in the high side and drop some hydrochloric acid in there to eat away the corrosion.

If you really want a 90A 3G alternator you will have to find one in a '93-'95 pickup....

F1PU-10346-DA

F3HT-10300-GB

An additional note to Gary about the alternator interchange...

The Lester #'s for 130A 8.25" alternator are: 7771 for non-threaded and 7765 for the 8x1.25.

F1PU-10346-DA

F3HT-10300-GB

Jim - I have some questions that I'm hoping will help me get my head around this so I can upgrade the write-up"

Can you say more about that? Why won't the alternator adjust with the 7" ear-to-ear spacing?

F1PU-10346-DA

F3HT-10300-GB

You mentioned the 7" e2e spacing in the first quote but said "90A" in the second quote. However both were talking about the small case alternator, which has 7" e2e spacing and originally was rated at 90 amps. Right? I just want to make sure I am following. Perhaps we should refer to these as the small-case and large-case alternators in the write-up as people are selling the small case with other output ratings than 90A?

And, then you gave the part numbers for a small-case alternator that was used in certain '93 - '95 F-Series pickups. Do you happen to know more specifics about the pickups, like the engine and Lester # for those part #'s? Just thinking about updating that spreadsheet.

The Lester #'s for 130A 8.25" alternator are: 7771 for non-threaded and 7765 for the 8x1.25.

Do you know the applications for the 7765? I've googled it and find bits and pieces of info, but it would sure be nice to find a good table that shows applications by Lester #. Then we could just refer people to that or copy that and put it on the page instead of having our own.

Jim - I have some questions that I'm hoping will help me get my head around this so I can upgrade the write-up"

Can you say more about that? Why won't the alternator adjust with the 7" ear-to-ear spacing?

F1PU-10346-DA

F3HT-10300-GB

You mentioned the 7" e2e spacing in the first quote but said "90A" in the second quote. However both were talking about the small case alternator, which has 7" e2e spacing and originally was rated at 90 amps. Right? I just want to make sure I am following. Perhaps we should refer to these as the small-case and large-case alternators in the write-up as people are selling the small case with other output ratings than 90A?

And, then you gave the part numbers for a small-case alternator that was used in certain '93 - '95 F-Series pickups. Do you happen to know more specifics about the pickups, like the engine and Lester # for those part #'s? Just thinking about updating that spreadsheet.

Do you know the applications for the 7765? I've googled it and find bits and pieces of info, but it would sure be nice to find a good table that shows applications by Lester #. Then we could just refer people to that or copy that and put it on the page instead of having our own.

Gary,

The slightly smaller body of the 90A (four hole) 7"mount will allow the pivot bolt to be inserted and a small amount of swing.

We have to make a distinction between BODY size (135mm v/s 148 mm) which is about 1/4" radially, and MOUNTING distance (7" v/s 8.25")

8.25" seems to work with all V-belt setups.

The 90A alternators found in some pickups are 8.25" for 300-6.

Serpentine Windsor's had the 7".

I don't know of any table listing application by Lester number.

I usually look for the alternator application and then check for the number.

IIRC Bill's son Matt worked in the aftermarket industry. Perhaps he has a resource for you.

HTH

Gary,

The slightly smaller body of the 90A (four hole) 7"mount will allow the pivot bolt to be inserted and a small amount of swing.

We have to make a distinction between BODY size (135mm v/s 148 mm) which is about 1/4" radially, and MOUNTING distance (7" v/s 8.25")

8.25" seems to work with all V-belt setups.

The 90A alternators found in some pickups are 8.25" for 300-6.

Serpentine Windsor's had the 7".

I don't know of any table listing application by Lester number.

I usually look for the alternator application and then check for the number.

IIRC Bill's son Matt worked in the aftermarket industry. Perhaps he has a resource for you.

HTH

Ahhhh! So there are 3 variables: body size of 135mm v/s 148 mm; ear-to-ear mounting distance of 7" or 8 1/4", which doesn't always equate to body size; and amperage, which initially started as 90A and 130A for the smaller vs larger body size. Right?

If that's right then it helps significantly. I've been struggling to understand everything we have and everything I've read, and was trying to fit it all into two variables: body size/e2e mounting distance and amperage.

As for Matt, I think he's changed jobs. But perhaps he still has access to a chart/listing? Bill?

Ahhhh! So there are 3 variables: body size of 135mm v/s 148 mm; ear-to-ear mounting distance of 7" or 8 1/4", which doesn't always equate to body size; and amperage, which initially started as 90A and 130A for the smaller vs larger body size. Right?

If that's right then it helps significantly. I've been struggling to understand everything we have and everything I've read, and was trying to fit it all into two variables: body size/e2e mounting distance and amperage.

As for Matt, I think he's changed jobs. But perhaps he still has access to a chart/listing? Bill?

I don't know if he does any more, he is IT manager for Olympus Foreign Parts, a division of Guaranteed Parts. I know on the poly groove (not serpentine) 460s, a Taurus 3.8L alternator is a drop in and when Matt's 86 alternator went FUBAR I seen to recall that the one from the parts truck, a 1990 F250 with 460 fit just fine.

On some applications the body halves may need "clocking" to get the hot stud where it won't touch anything. Wiring will need to be examined whatever you do, the crackhead system on the 2G alternator models defies belief as everything except the starter goes through the alternator harness. The fusible links are what usually fail and let the smoke out.

Body size and mounting style are unrelated, but body size and amperage are one in the same.

In a stock configuration 90A are always four hole 135mm diameter and 130A are always two hole 148mm.

8.25" are for swing mount V-belt application (and 300-6 solid mount)

7" will fit the serpentine Windsor's cast aluminum bracket.

No clearance needed for the 135mm case, but needed for the 148mm large case (two hole, 130A)

Not to confuse the issue. There are more 3G mounting options, but they do not fit bullnose.

Side bolt mounts, there is a Vee pattern mount that fits modular motors, etc....

F1PU-10346-DA

F3HT-10300-GB

Gary,

I failed to note among the small case 3G's the '92-'94 Aerostar 3.0 uses Lester 7749-3 and the 460 uses Lester 7749. (without the suffix)

EDIT***

These two numbers and their applications are the 90A ones Buggtruck says he is looking for

Gary,

I failed to note among the small case 3G's the '92-'94 Aerostar 3.0 uses Lester 7749-3 and the 460 uses Lester 7749. (without the suffix)

EDIT***

These two numbers and their applications are the 90A ones Buggtruck says he is looking for

Jim - I'm "with grandtwins" and it makes concentrating difficult. This whole thing appears to need concentration as it isn't clicking with me. So, when I can devote some time I'll try to get my head around it.

Having said that, if you have suggested any verbiage, or upgrades thereof, for the swap page please send it on.