Bullnose Forums

Testing Jim's Wiper Motor

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That motor was used through early '94. I can only print and scan wiring diagrams for '92 and newer, but the controls were different. I tried... If the newer wiring diagrams will help, let me know.

If the connections are the same then maybe you could just list the wire colors and what they do - if that is easier than scanning. I have the original wiring so can determine which goes where. But, if it covers the motor it would be a big help. TIA.

If the connections are the same then maybe you could just list the wire colors and what they do - if that is easier than scanning. I have the original wiring so can determine which goes where. But, if it covers the motor it would be a big help. TIA.

Won't post, check your email.

Ok, Bill wins the prize. Thanks!

1990_wiper_wo_intermittent.thumb.jpg.b44536db9fe9f63be43333501db4a54f.jpg

Houston, we have a problem. When I put battery voltage to either the green-circled connector or the orange-circled connector, with ground on the red-circled connector I get nothing but a spark. Am I doing it correctly?

I'm guessing the motor is good from the fact that it pulls current, but the bushing/bearing is seized. Suggestions?

1990_wiper_wo_intermittent.thumb.jpg.b44536db9fe9f63be43333501db4a54f.jpg

Houston, we have a problem. When I put battery voltage to either the green-circled connector or the orange-circled connector, with ground on the red-circled connector I get nothing but a spark. Am I doing it correctly?

I'm guessing the motor is good from the fact that it pulls current, but the bushing/bearing is seized. Suggestions?

Motor is a permanent magnet unit with the brushes in the gearbox end, open the gearbox by unclipping the switch cover and lifting it off. With it off, see if the inside looks corroded, if not, try gripping the motor shaft and see if it will turn, if you can turn it, try powering it again.

If you need to pull the magnet portion off, keep the motor shaft in place so the brushes don't come out. Armature may be rusty and binding on the field magnet.

Motor is a permanent magnet unit with the brushes in the gearbox end, open the gearbox by unclipping the switch cover and lifting it off. With it off, see if the inside looks corroded, if not, try gripping the motor shaft and see if it will turn, if you can turn it, try powering it again.

If you need to pull the magnet portion off, keep the motor shaft in place so the brushes don't come out. Armature may be rusty and binding on the field magnet.

I have the snap-on cover off, but that just gets access to the output shaft of the motor with its worm gear, the big worm gear, and the park brushes. Getting on the output shaft with pliers isn’t easy as there’s just not much room, but I can rock the shaft back and forth slightly and then it stops. I’ll lube the bushing, rock it some more, and then hit it with 12v again.

But you don’t see any problem with my wiring? (I can’t imagine that I’m wrong on something so simple, but.....)

I have the snap-on cover off, but that just gets access to the output shaft of the motor with its worm gear, the big worm gear, and the park brushes. Getting on the output shaft with pliers isn’t easy as there’s just not much room, but I can rock the shaft back and forth slightly and then it stops. I’ll lube the bushing, rock it some more, and then hit it with 12v again.

But you don’t see any problem with my wiring? (I can’t imagine that I’m wrong on something so simple, but.....)

Man, you should have seen the crap that came out of the race outboard's starter the other day.

Chunks. And the brushes in the bottom were nubs on springs.

Thanks for your efforts.

My wipers are dead again today.

There is no fuse labeled for them and my evtm is home.