Bullnose Forums

1985 Ford F350 Crew Cab Long Bed

Wogtur

Possible they are bad since putting new electrical parts in a old truck with old wiring
No, don't blame the parts. :nabble_smiley_wink:
This is the solenoid...
As Gary's diagram shows, that's actually the starter RELAY. A solenoid would be ON the starter, but the solenoid style of starter wasn't used on Ford gas trucks until '92.
Is it s possibility it's just not aligned up right?
Is it loose on the bellhousing? Is its rear face parallel to & hard against the shim plate between the block & bellhousing?

That clank...high spin... and grab sounds like an old 300 I had with teeth knocked off the flywheel ring.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possible they are bad since putting new electrical parts in a old truck with old wiring
No, don't blame the parts. :nabble_smiley_wink:
This is the solenoid...
As Gary's diagram shows, that's actually the starter RELAY. A solenoid would be ON the starter, but the solenoid style of starter wasn't used on Ford gas trucks until '92.
Is it s possibility it's just not aligned up right?
Is it loose on the bellhousing? Is its rear face parallel to & hard against the shim plate between the block & bellhousing?

Everything is tight and lined up correctly, still doing the exact same thing. I suppose next I will turn the engine over manually this weekend and see if there is any missing teeth on the flexwheel. And if there is...I suppose I'll be pulling a tranny. Never done that before!

Everything is tight and lined up correctly, still doing the exact same thing. I suppose next I will turn the engine over manually this weekend and see if there is any missing teeth on the flexwheel. And if there is...I suppose I'll be pulling a tranny. Never done that before!

Did this problem start with the replacement of the starter? Once you check the flywheel/flexplate then you may want to make sure the starter is the right one and is good.

Did this problem start with the replacement of the starter? Once you check the flywheel/flexplate then you may want to make sure the starter is the right one and is good.

Before I replaced the starter it had the same issue but it would catch the teeth and eventually start. Once I replaced the starter though it hasnt caught yet. Except once or twice since it's been replaced.

Before I replaced the starter it had the same issue but it would catch the teeth and eventually start. Once I replaced the starter though it hasnt caught yet. Except once or twice since it's been replaced.

Finally had the chance to get under the truck and turn the engine over. Looks like the flex plate has some damaged teeth but no missing teeth. Either way looks like I'll be pulling a transmission now. Might as well purchase a rebuild kit while I have it out. Anyone have a good but not super expensive one online somewhere?

Finally had the chance to get under the truck and turn the engine over. Looks like the flex plate has some damaged teeth but no missing teeth. Either way looks like I'll be pulling a transmission now. Might as well purchase a rebuild kit while I have it out. Anyone have a good but not super expensive one online somewhere?

I’m pretty sure they didn’t put an AOD behind the 351, much less the HO. But yours is the C6 - right?

• 2 months later...

I've not rebuilt a C6, but I have purchased parts from Midwest Transmission and was pleased with their help and quality of parts.

Been a while. But the truck was running great, and I decided to buy a rebuild kit for the carb. Well while rebuilding it I managed to drop a bolt and cant find it or what it could possibly be online. It looks like a smaller adjuster nut on the backside of the choke thermostat. Any help is appreciated, as all the carbs in the junkyard are always gone the moment they show up

Been a while. But the truck was running great, and I decided to buy a rebuild kit for the carb. Well while rebuilding it I managed to drop a bolt and cant find it or what it could possibly be online. It looks like a smaller adjuster nut on the backside of the choke thermostat. Any help is appreciated, as all the carbs in the junkyard are always gone the moment they show up

Charlie - Where you been?

On the part, can you find it in the illustration here? Fuel Systems/Carburetors, Chokes, & EFI/Holley 4180C