Bullnose Forums

ADDING AIR CONDITIONING

What are my options?

I have an Air Conditioned Bronco sitting here (1987). Would the AC box that houses the heater core and evap core bolt onto my firewall? I know older chevys had different holes in the firewall for ac and non ac cars. I do not know for these trucks.

If I can rob this bronco, would be nice.

Ray, unfortunately the Bullnose is the last Ford that had completely different firewall for heater only vs AC. If you have the dashboard fresh air vent system then you might have the proper opening. 1987 up, the basic system heater vs AC is the same, just the heater only box is smaller underhood.

What are my options?

Buy a donor AC Cab...or a complete donor truck with AC...or swap firewalls...there's no simple solution.

I was eyeing up one of those Vintage Air systems until I saw how it fits in the cab. Somebody posted pics on FB not all that long ago. You'd never fit one in a truck with a manual trans...not one with a shifter on the floor at least.

I'd have no problem installing an aftermarket system, as long as the AC unit in the cab was small enough.

If you find something, let us all know;).

What are my options?
Buy a donor AC Cab...or a complete donor truck with AC...or swap firewalls...there's no simple solution. I was eyeing up one of those Vintage Air systems until I saw how it fits in the cab. Somebody posted pics on FB not all that long ago. You'd never fit one in a truck with a manual trans...not one with a shifter on the floor at least.I'd have no problem installing an aftermarket system, as long as the AC unit in the cab was small enough.If you find something, let us all know;).
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to put this on the backburner. The CHEVY still has good air, so I am good for now. I dont want to cut up the factory firwall, so if that means I have to make a system myself, I might. Im very comfortable these days with ac systems. Been tinkering for years now and ive had good luck rebuilding and recharging systems.

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019, 6:50 PM Rembrant [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

To swap in an AC firewall to a non-AC truck is not an easy job and have it look factory and I know as I did it.

I had a parts truck with AC I pulled everything from including the firewall part by drilling out the spot welds to fit it back in.

Once the firewall part is over come you can then use everything from a factory truck.

BTW they say you can cut the other hole for the AC in the non-AC firewall but that was to easy for me LOL.

I have some pictures of this on my site if you want to see them.

Dave ----