Bullnose Forums

The Truck of Doom: An Occasional Build Thread

Matthew,

A shield can attach there so debris doesn't have a straight shot to the drain on that side.

Last year I posted a bunch of pictures of my wiper assembly and removing the rubber drains (along with the muck behind them)

Lemme see about the dates in the WHYDTYTT

Glad you asked about that bracket - wondered the same when mine was off. Anyone ever seen one of those shields?

Yes - you can reach your hand up there and get to the drains. Loosening the 'tail' of the liner would help but isn't absolutely necessary.

Just be careful if you try to remove the duckbill rubber without a forked trim tool though as on one of the trucks I stripped down it was hanging on by a single retainer and the other was tore out.

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you asked about that bracket - wondered the same when mine was off. Anyone ever seen one of those shields?

Yes - you can reach your hand up there and get to the drains. Loosening the 'tail' of the liner would help but isn't absolutely necessary.

Just be careful if you try to remove the duckbill rubber without a forked trim tool though as on one of the trucks I stripped down it was hanging on by a single retainer and the other was tore out.

Here's some ideas for your cowl Matthew.

IMG_3536.jpg.ac4d67d009e870c6592882c1e058df41.jpg

I don't know if yours still has a seal in place, but mine didn't. The screen I just cut out of some window screen I have and glued it. Don't know if it will hold, time will tell.

As for cleaning out the side ducts, have you tried sticking a shopvac hose down there? Even if you got the drain covers off it would still be a pain to clean the duct from there, the easiest would be from inside the cab through the vent. Although on the drivers' side you have the e-brake in the way...:nabble_anim_confused:

Start Here Matthew.

Yep, I remembered that post and looked at it before writing my post - yours answered a lot of questions, but not all of them. For example, where the linkages meet the motor...I don't see a bushing on yours, but are your linkages as loose as mine are?

If you could share those cutaway photos you mentioned, that would be super helpful.

Is that because without the tool the rubber will tear or break? I'm currently planning on getting rid of the 'duckbill' (a far politer descriptor than the other one I've seen for these parts...) rubber altogether, since I really don't want trash building up in there again.

I don't know if yours still has a seal in place, but mine didn't. The screen I just cut out of some window screen I have and glued it. Don't know if it will hold, time will tell.

I don't have anything like what you seem to have made for your cowl, but mine looks like this:

IMG_1721.jpg.6ac057aa4f90d1c85ca7122998c1fb17.jpg

I'm also going to put screen under mine, but I'm a little hesitant to use something as permanent as glue - I'm considering gaffer tape. It won't hold as well as glue, and maybe won't hold at all...but if it does, it would then be easier to replace the screen if/when it gets damaged.

As for the shop-vac...I considered it, but (a) my hose is too big to get down there, and (b) there was enough wet, packed dirt down there to grow potatoes. I got most of it out by hand through the kick panel vent, then got more out with a spoon. If I can get that drain out I'm sure I could wash the rest away.

Start Here Matthew.

Yep, I remembered that post and looked at it before writing my post - yours answered a lot of questions, but not all of them. For example, where the linkages meet the motor...I don't see a bushing on yours, but are your linkages as loose as mine are?

If you could share those cutaway photos you mentioned, that would be super helpful.

Is that because without the tool the rubber will tear or break? I'm currently planning on getting rid of the 'duckbill' (a far politer descriptor than the other one I've seen for these parts...) rubber altogether, since I really don't want trash building up in there again.

I don't have anything like what you seem to have made for your cowl, but mine looks like this:

I'm also going to put screen under mine, but I'm a little hesitant to use something as permanent as glue - I'm considering gaffer tape. It won't hold as well as glue, and maybe won't hold at all...but if it does, it would then be easier to replace the screen if/when it gets damaged.

As for the shop-vac...I considered it, but (a) my hose is too big to get down there, and (b) there was enough wet, packed dirt down there to grow potatoes. I got most of it out by hand through the kick panel vent, then got more out with a spoon. If I can get that drain out I'm sure I could wash the rest away.

There actually isn't a picture of the drain with the fender cut off.

But this can give you an idea.

IMG_20200422_120831.thumb.jpg.460d3b6f4765053deda4f8fa7c49f8b0.jpg

It's just above the cut line.

Here is the opening, looking up.

IMG_20200422_120844.thumb.jpg.a5d8c69465fadd908365be7cc3163ad4.jpg

As for the wiper motor, not really a linkage bushing on the crank.

My wiper had wallowed out the output of the gearbox, resulting in a very sloppy crank.

I've never seen gasket on the underside of a cowl either, but I can see how it might help support it and keep rattles at Bay.

Exactly but if you are getting rid of it (which I've considered also), I'd just grab and yank. Yeah, I've heard it called the other...:nabble_smiley_beam:

Exactly but if you are getting rid of it (which I've considered also), I'd just grab and yank. Yeah, I've heard it called the other...:nabble_smiley_beam:

So what’s the downside, if any, of getting rid of the drain plastic? I just got my hands up to it (I’m literally under the truck as I type this) and it would be easy enough to yank it loose. But I know Ford engineered every part with a purpose, and I’d love to know what that is before I rip something out.

So what’s the downside, if any, of getting rid of the drain plastic? I just got my hands up to it (I’m literally under the truck as I type this) and it would be easy enough to yank it loose. But I know Ford engineered every part with a purpose, and I’d love to know what that is before I rip something out.

Mice/critters is the only explanation I've ever heard

I've been without since that August post.

There's chipmunks EVERYWHERE, but I haven't seen any evidence inside my truck.

Well, I was able to get the driver's side out tonight...I swear the passenger side has a smaller hole to reach up into, I couldn't get my hand in there. I'll try again tomorrow, but I may have to shove it down from the top side.

I got the driver's side washed out and it looks real nice now. Although with my luck a colony of these things will probably set up residence by morning. :nabble_smiley_scared:

lizard.png.ae0a40ec1af617ffc31ef6ae2d530952.png