Bullnose Forums

The Truck of Doom: An Occasional Build Thread

I didn't remove the trim on either of my trucks when removing the cowl. It can be done with both trim and hood in place. It requires moving the hood up and down in a bit of a dance and I placed tape/paper over a lot of the points where contact was possible.

Thanks for the good info guys...especially for those photos! I may try to start pulling trim this evening.

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the good info guys...especially for those photos! I may try to start pulling trim this evening.

Since (like just about everybody else in North America) I have nothing to do this weekend, I decided to futz with my truck. So the first thing I did was remove the cowl - I was hoping to be able to do this without messing with the hood, but I was never able to find a hood position that would let me work the cowl off. So I loosened the hood bolts, slid it about a half-inch forward, and was able to get the cowl off without further difficulty.

The first thing I noticed was this:

IMG_1626.jpg.7316288b94968a7da77efcf90ed0165f.jpg

Please tell me this isn't the factory-recommended way to install an antenna? The coax makes a way too sharp bend in order to go down the hole and then back up into the base of the antenna, and in my case this resulted in a broken outer shield and exposed copper. I certainly understand why my radio reception is so poor.

Anyway:

IMG_1621.jpg.6c65cef097b34b2314ca3995f0edfc41.jpg

Plenty of trash and debris in there, including this lovely mud dauber nest that was perched on top of the wiper motor:

IMG_1623.jpg.07c7c642983f970306478311d558659a.jpg

Now here's where things get interesting. This is looking down at the passenger side cowl drain through the antenna hole, just inboard of the fender:

IMG_1622.thumb.jpg.be7381518c6757f2a4b080bc17561304.jpg

First, what is that red plastic thing extending into the space? It looks like it's coming in from the cabin interior, and is even sealed with a nice foam gasket, but what is it? At first I thought it was some kind of air duct, but feeling around underneath the lip it appears to be sealed off.

Also, how does one actually get down to the drain to clean it out, and perhaps completely remove the rubber drain outlet? I can reach my hand down to roughly where that plastic thing is (and the same thing is on the driver side as well), but no farther. Plus, I'd like to get in there with some sealant and hopefully fix my cabin leak. Surely I don't have to pull the fenders as well?

Since (like just about everybody else in North America) I have nothing to do this weekend, I decided to futz with my truck. So the first thing I did was remove the cowl - I was hoping to be able to do this without messing with the hood, but I was never able to find a hood position that would let me work the cowl off. So I loosened the hood bolts, slid it about a half-inch forward, and was able to get the cowl off without further difficulty.

The first thing I noticed was this:

Please tell me this isn't the factory-recommended way to install an antenna? The coax makes a way too sharp bend in order to go down the hole and then back up into the base of the antenna, and in my case this resulted in a broken outer shield and exposed copper. I certainly understand why my radio reception is so poor.

Anyway:

Plenty of trash and debris in there, including this lovely mud dauber nest that was perched on top of the wiper motor:

Now here's where things get interesting. This is looking down at the passenger side cowl drain through the antenna hole, just inboard of the fender:

First, what is that red plastic thing extending into the space? It looks like it's coming in from the cabin interior, and is even sealed with a nice foam gasket, but what is it? At first I thought it was some kind of air duct, but feeling around underneath the lip it appears to be sealed off.

Also, how does one actually get down to the drain to clean it out, and perhaps completely remove the rubber drain outlet? I can reach my hand down to roughly where that plastic thing is (and the same thing is on the driver side as well), but no farther. Plus, I'd like to get in there with some sealant and hopefully fix my cabin leak. Surely I don't have to pull the fenders as well?

Glad you got the cowl off w/o damaging the hood. That's tough to do.

But that's NOT the way the antenna is supposed to be installed. Did you truck ever make it to Florida?

As for the debris, that's pretty much normal.

But I do not know what the red thing is. Do you have vents in the kick panels? If not, pull the kick panel and the plate behind it to see what's there. And, you may be able to clean things out that way as well.

But that's NOT the way the antenna is supposed to be installed. Did you truck ever make it to Florida?

As for the debris, that's pretty much normal.

But I do not know what the red thing is. Do you have vents in the kick panels? If not, pull the kick panel and the plate behind it to see what's there. And, you may be able to clean things out that way as well.

The red thing is the backside of the factory fresh air vent. When you pull the kick panel and the vent, you should be able to reach in with your hand or a shop vac and get the rest of the debris out. You may be able to reseal the area from here as well.

I was actually more worried about damaging the cowl; that metal is thin and floppy. My paint is shot in any case, another scrape on the hood wouldn't be a big deal, but I managed to avoid it anyway. I'm still hoping to repaint the truck this year, although with all the economic uncertainty I may need to put that off a bit longer...we shall see.

No...but as I've documented elsewhere in this thread, Florida Man does have a brother Oklahoma Man who is also in the business of abusing trucks. Maybe even multiple brothers (Oklahoma Men?) - one who worked at Don Thornton Ford, and another one that worked at whatever hack audio shop my grandmother took the truck to to get the radio added.

Surprisingly, those red things *are* the kick panels. I had them out last year for cleaning, but I didn't recall the protrusion that can be seen in the photo. Plus, in my mind's eye the kick panels were farther down; they are in fact near the floor, but the floor rises up at the front of the cab. Big 'duh' on my part here.

I may pull them again to do more cleaning; I cleaned out behind them when I had them out last time, but I don't recall if I was able to reach all the way down. Could be a job for that skinny kid of mine, hmmm.

Speaking of cleaning and the future avoidance thereof...have you (or anyone reading this) ever applied window screen to the underside of the cowl panel, as I've heard done? Seems like a good solution, I'm just wondering what the best way to apply it is.

I was actually more worried about damaging the cowl; that metal is thin and floppy. My paint is shot in any case, another scrape on the hood wouldn't be a big deal, but I managed to avoid it anyway. I'm still hoping to repaint the truck this year, although with all the economic uncertainty I may need to put that off a bit longer...we shall see.

No...but as I've documented elsewhere in this thread, Florida Man does have a brother Oklahoma Man who is also in the business of abusing trucks. Maybe even multiple brothers (Oklahoma Men?) - one who worked at Don Thornton Ford, and another one that worked at whatever hack audio shop my grandmother took the truck to to get the radio added.

Surprisingly, those red things *are* the kick panels. I had them out last year for cleaning, but I didn't recall the protrusion that can be seen in the photo. Plus, in my mind's eye the kick panels were farther down; they are in fact near the floor, but the floor rises up at the front of the cab. Big 'duh' on my part here.

I may pull them again to do more cleaning; I cleaned out behind them when I had them out last time, but I don't recall if I was able to reach all the way down. Could be a job for that skinny kid of mine, hmmm.

Speaking of cleaning and the future avoidance thereof...have you (or anyone reading this) ever applied window screen to the underside of the cowl panel, as I've heard done? Seems like a good solution, I'm just wondering what the best way to apply it is.

I haven't done the screen, but plan on it. My paint/body man said there's a black plastic screen that he has used.

• 1 month later...

I haven't done the screen, but plan on it. My paint/body man said there's a black plastic screen that he has used.

So...it's been a month since I pulled the cowl on the truck, and I've been thinking that maybe it's time to get things done so I can stop driving around looking like a hillbilly.

First things first...anyone have an idea what this bracket is for?

IMG_1715.jpg.710b0bac765961eac7e322bece65d133.jpg

It sits under the cowl, just aft of the passenger side hood hinge. It obviously serves no function on my truck, but I'm having a hard time imagining what purpose it would serve on *any* truck.

On to the wipers. This is a shot of the wiper motor arm, with the linkages for the two wipers still attached. Those linkages rattle around on that shaft - is this normal? Or should there be some kind of a bushing on there?

IMG_1714.jpg.ea8d99fa219fab7e2ad95ee03246195d.jpg

Finally, what I'm most interested in...cleaning out my drains. The good news is that I don't think I have a true leak into the cabin; after some experimentation with a garden hose as well as a few visits during rainstorms, I've realized that the water in my cabin comes from the water level in the drain area rising to the level of the pass-through for the kick panel vents, and coming in that way. I had thought I'd cleaned out the area when I had the vents out last year, but it was only the surface trash I got; that was on top of several inches of solid dirt sitting in there. I've gotten most of that out now, but I still don't have a clear idea of the next step.

My big problem is that I can't see the drain, which I understand to be kind of a plastic insert at the bottom of the cowl channel, behind the front wheel. I tried to get a look at it from below, but couldn't find it - do I need to remove the plastic wheel well lining to get to it? And, can it be removed from below, or do I have to fish it out from above?

If anyone has a clear photo or diagram of how the drains are put together, that would be super helpful.

So...it's been a month since I pulled the cowl on the truck, and I've been thinking that maybe it's time to get things done so I can stop driving around looking like a hillbilly.

First things first...anyone have an idea what this bracket is for?

It sits under the cowl, just aft of the passenger side hood hinge. It obviously serves no function on my truck, but I'm having a hard time imagining what purpose it would serve on *any* truck.

On to the wipers. This is a shot of the wiper motor arm, with the linkages for the two wipers still attached. Those linkages rattle around on that shaft - is this normal? Or should there be some kind of a bushing on there?

Finally, what I'm most interested in...cleaning out my drains. The good news is that I don't think I have a true leak into the cabin; after some experimentation with a garden hose as well as a few visits during rainstorms, I've realized that the water in my cabin comes from the water level in the drain area rising to the level of the pass-through for the kick panel vents, and coming in that way. I had thought I'd cleaned out the area when I had the vents out last year, but it was only the surface trash I got; that was on top of several inches of solid dirt sitting in there. I've gotten most of that out now, but I still don't have a clear idea of the next step.

My big problem is that I can't see the drain, which I understand to be kind of a plastic insert at the bottom of the cowl channel, behind the front wheel. I tried to get a look at it from below, but couldn't find it - do I need to remove the plastic wheel well lining to get to it? And, can it be removed from below, or do I have to fish it out from above?

If anyone has a clear photo or diagram of how the drains are put together, that would be super helpful.

Matthew,

A shield can attach there so debris doesn't have a straight shot to the drain on that side.

Last year I posted a bunch of pictures of my wiper assembly and removing the rubber drains (along with the muck behind them)

Lemme see about the dates in the WHYDTYTT

Matthew,

A shield can attach there so debris doesn't have a straight shot to the drain on that side.

Last year I posted a bunch of pictures of my wiper assembly and removing the rubber drains (along with the muck behind them)

Lemme see about the dates in the WHYDTYTT

Start Here Matthew.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/WHYDTYTT-What-Have-You-Done-To-Your-Truck-Today-tp148p34214.html

If you've got any questions, fire away.