Bullnose Forums

The Truck of Doom: An Occasional Build Thread

Matthew,

I got a bit in depth with wipers and cowl last September(?) when my wiper motor died.

WHYDTYTT...

I found slop in the motors gearbox output, the plastic retainers between linkage sections, and the wiper pivot posts themselves.

I also went to the later J-hook style wiper arms.

Even with the polka dot cowl I had plenty of muck down at the rubber drains.

While I've tried to seal everything with low modulus urethane caulk, there are still some spots down there that I can't even see.

The one (cowl seam) in my 86 was bad enough to require cutting out and replacing sections of but as long as it isn't that bad, here is how I would go about it after that experience as well as taking care of the 80.

Remove cowl, wiper arms/motor and clean the channel. I found that a lot of wire wheels on a dremel tool with the flexible extension worked great. This is after removing any of the old sealant that you need to. The wire wheels are a little slow and you still end up with scrapes on your hands but doable. Removing the wiper arms and motor gives you more room and another hole to work through or shine a light in.

Once you get it cleaned out and any flaking rust out wipe it down with degreaser. You can likely see where you have the leak at this point. I've never used the por 15 sealer but with the liquid I would stick some tape over the rusted out holes under the dash as best you can. Removal of the dash pad will help some areas. Then brush the por15 in the channel. The tape is to prevent it all from running down the firewall. This stuff is runny and will soak into the seam.

Once it is dry tape over the windshield and cover as much as you care about. Then spray the channel liberally with aerosol flex seal. I am really impressed with this stuff.

Anyways, that's how I'd go about it next time depending upon the severity. I really like the idea of a por 15 seam sealer (assuming it's a caulk like product) but getting that in the channel may be a trick.

In the 86 a PO had tried unsuccessfully to silicone the seam at some point. Best guess is that they put a bunch in a gloved hand and smeared it around blindly.

It was kind of like that bathroom scene in Daddy Daycare...

I would also do the 'hole in cowl for wiper motor bolt access' mod while you have the cowl off.

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one (cowl seam) in my 86 was bad enough to require cutting out and replacing sections of but as long as it isn't that bad, here is how I would go about it after that experience as well as taking care of the 80.

Remove cowl, wiper arms/motor and clean the channel. I found that a lot of wire wheels on a dremel tool with the flexible extension worked great. This is after removing any of the old sealant that you need to. The wire wheels are a little slow and you still end up with scrapes on your hands but doable. Removing the wiper arms and motor gives you more room and another hole to work through or shine a light in.

Once you get it cleaned out and any flaking rust out wipe it down with degreaser. You can likely see where you have the leak at this point. I've never used the por 15 sealer but with the liquid I would stick some tape over the rusted out holes under the dash as best you can. Removal of the dash pad will help some areas. Then brush the por15 in the channel. The tape is to prevent it all from running down the firewall. This stuff is runny and will soak into the seam.

Once it is dry tape over the windshield and cover as much as you care about. Then spray the channel liberally with aerosol flex seal. I am really impressed with this stuff.

Anyways, that's how I'd go about it next time depending upon the severity. I really like the idea of a por 15 seam sealer (assuming it's a caulk like product) but getting that in the channel may be a trick.

In the 86 a PO had tried unsuccessfully to silicone the seam at some point. Best guess is that they put a bunch in a gloved hand and smeared it around blindly.

It was kind of like that bathroom scene in Daddy Daycare...

I would also do the 'hole in cowl for wiper motor bolt access' mod while you have the cowl off.

That's a solid maybe. May could without removing the trim, not sure. I know the trim puts pressure on the cowl. I didn't attempt it because I didn't want to risk hurting the trim as I needed it for my truck.

I had to remove the windshield trim to get the cowl off on Big Blue.

That's what I was afraid of...how does one remove the trim without damaging it? I saw in the documentation that there's 9 clips under that lower piece, but I couldn't find anything showing what those clips look like, or how to disengage them.

I got a bit in depth with wipers and cowl last September(?) when my wiper motor died.

WHYDTYTT...

Yep! I remembered that post, and found it yesterday...I'll be using it as a guide for the wiper work.

[Lots of smart stuff]

I'm hopeful that mine won't be as bad as yours - the front of my truck was garaged for most of its previous life, so I suspect I just have dried out sealant to deal with. As to the 'hole in cowl' mod you're referring to, I haven't heard of that. I'm guessing there's a bolt that holds the wiper motor in place that can only be accessed with the cowl panel removed?

I had to remove the windshield trim to get the cowl off on Big Blue.

That's what I was afraid of...how does one remove the trim without damaging it? I saw in the documentation that there's 9 clips under that lower piece, but I couldn't find anything showing what those clips look like, or how to disengage them.

WHYDTYTT...

Yep! I remembered that post, and found it yesterday...I'll be using it as a guide for the wiper work.

[Lots of smart stuff]

I'm hopeful that mine won't be as bad as yours - the front of my truck was garaged for most of its previous life, so I suspect I just have dried out sealant to deal with. As to the 'hole in cowl' mod you're referring to, I haven't heard of that. I'm guessing there's a bolt that holds the wiper motor in place that can only be accessed with the cowl panel removed?

I used a small plastic pry bar to remove my trim.

Here is the wiper motor mod: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1457308-grief-b-gone-for-a-wiper-motor-change.html

I would read the thread and decide if it's worth if for you. I did it since the cowl was off and was getting repainted anyways. I don't know if I would go out of my way to do it though as I had to change the wiper motor on the 80 when I first got it and don't recall it being a big deal.

Here is the wiper motor mod: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1457308-grief-b-gone-for-a-wiper-motor-change.html

I would read the thread and decide if it's worth if for you. I did it since the cowl was off and was getting repainted anyways. I don't know if I would go out of my way to do it though as I had to change the wiper motor on the 80 when I first got it and don't recall it being a big deal.

^yeah small plastic pry bar from a harbor freight set of trim and molding removal tools worked well for me. Hooked it from the glass side and lifted straight up where the clips are. Helps to ease up on the trim with your other hand. I started with the top corners and worked over and down, did the bottom last. I can get a picture of the clips when I go out to the shop. Bottom ones are plastic and slide into the trim. Top and sides are small metal clips and only one edge hooks into the trim. The metal clips slide straight over metal t studs. Bottom clips have a small hook and slide down into a slot on metal clips.

^yeah small plastic pry bar from a harbor freight set of trim and molding removal tools worked well for me. Hooked it from the glass side and lifted straight up where the clips are. Helps to ease up on the trim with your other hand. I started with the top corners and worked over and down, did the bottom last. I can get a picture of the clips when I go out to the shop. Bottom ones are plastic and slide into the trim. Top and sides are small metal clips and only one edge hooks into the trim. The metal clips slide straight over metal t studs. Bottom clips have a small hook and slide down into a slot on metal clips.

^^x2 But I used two of the plastic pry bars, one from the glass side to start and one from the cowl side to spread the load.

I too, wonder if it's worth it.

My wiper motor died last year.

I don't expect to be alive, let alone driving a gas guzzling truck thirty three years from now.

I think if your wiper motor is regularly failing, you have a deeper issue that you're not addressing.

I too, wonder if it's worth it.

My wiper motor died last year.

I don't expect to be alive, let alone driving a gas guzzling truck thirty three years from now.

I think if your wiper motor is regularly failing, you have a deeper issue that you're not addressing.

Am I correct in assuming that the entire windshield trim needs to be removed? Looking at how the pieces are lapped, it doesn't look like the lower segment alone can be removed without damage.

Am I correct in assuming that the entire windshield trim needs to be removed? Looking at how the pieces are lapped, it doesn't look like the lower segment alone can be removed without damage.

It would probably be easiest to remove all of it starting with the top corners. I'm going to try uploading pictures.

IMG_20200406_175003.jpg.08085a8a0234146019f8f5c1692a4830.jpg

IMG_20200406_175022.jpg.4d37da143d9aaa134bebaa3f4314c99c.jpg

IMG_20200406_175104.jpg.9e688fda340a2f699df8654fc4abca41.jpg

IMG_20200406_175146.thumb.jpg.1e918123cd7f6febe868bcf3a3fef652.jpg

IMG_20200406_175136.thumb.jpg.eadb331a045d274b815ef9267374d09a.jpg

*edit* looks like it doesn't show photo descriptions. Top photo is bottom plastic clip. Right side is the bottom of the trim. That plastic has a little bit of a hook on it to lock into the meal clip shown in the second photo.

Next is the side and top clips shown how the fit into the trim. Only hooks under one side. Next is the stud those clips slide over. Last photo is two profiles of the top and side trim clips.

I didn't remove the trim on either of my trucks when removing the cowl. It can be done with both trim and hood in place. It requires moving the hood up and down in a bit of a dance and I placed tape/paper over a lot of the points where contact was possible.