Bullnose Forums

The Truck of Doom: An Occasional Build Thread

Ooooh, there's a new word for me!

Defenestration (countable and uncountable, plural defenestrations)

I've always thought it wonderful that the English language has a whole word dedicated to just that one odd concept. I couldn't find a word meaning to throw something in through a window, though, so I made that one up on my own. :nabble_smiley_happy:

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always thought it wonderful that the English language has a whole word dedicated to just that one odd concept. I couldn't find a word meaning to throw something in through a window, though, so I made that one up on my own. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Makes sense to me:

• Defenestration is out

• Enfenestration is in

:nabble_smiley_good:

Hey, look what arrived today! The next free time I have is Thursday, so maybe I'll be able to get some more work done then.

IMG_0148.jpg.97b27124a4cb54adf13b4a0ec0424af9.jpg

Hey, look what arrived today! The next free time I have is Thursday, so maybe I'll be able to get some more work done then.

Cool!

Prep is the key. The cleaner does a good job. And the Metal Prep etches the bare metal, meaning the non-rusty metal, to give the POR something to which it can adhere.

I'll be looking forward to the pics. :nabble_smiley_good:

Cool!

Prep is the key. The cleaner does a good job. And the Metal Prep etches the bare metal, meaning the non-rusty metal, to give the POR something to which it can adhere.

I'll be looking forward to the pics. :nabble_smiley_good:

So...question. Everything I am seeing and reading is about applying POR to bare metal or rust. What about to painted surfaces, will it stick? Or do I need to strip the existing paint from the areas of my cab floor that aren't rusted, but I don't want to rust in the future?

So...question. Everything I am seeing and reading is about applying POR to bare metal or rust. What about to painted surfaces, will it stick? Or do I need to strip the existing paint from the areas of my cab floor that aren't rusted, but I don't want to rust in the future?

It will stick fairly well to cured paint, just not as well as it will to rusty metal or bare metal etched with the treatment. I wouldn't strip what you have. Just clean it all with the prep, etch any bare metal, and paint.

It will stick fairly well to cured paint, just not as well as it will to rusty metal or bare metal etched with the treatment. I wouldn't strip what you have. Just clean it all with the prep, etch any bare metal, and paint.

I found this in their FAQ:

CAN I APPLY POR-15 OVER OTHER PAINTS?

Yes, but you will lose the important benefits of POR-15. You must remember that ordinary paints are weakened by exposure to moisture. POR-15 can't stop rust if it isn't in direct contact with the base metal.

This also implies it will stick. The bit about it not contacting the metal makes sense...but I would also hope that if it is as tough as they say it is, it will protect the underlying paint from moisture, thus keeping it from failing and allowing rust to begin.

So...I'll just follow the prep steps, hit the floor surfaces with the POR, and hope for the best.

I found this in their FAQ:

CAN I APPLY POR-15 OVER OTHER PAINTS?

Yes, but you will lose the important benefits of POR-15. You must remember that ordinary paints are weakened by exposure to moisture. POR-15 can't stop rust if it isn't in direct contact with the base metal.

This also implies it will stick. The bit about it not contacting the metal makes sense...but I would also hope that if it is as tough as they say it is, it will protect the underlying paint from moisture, thus keeping it from failing and allowing rust to begin.

So...I'll just follow the prep steps, hit the floor surfaces with the POR, and hope for the best.

POR, or any paint for that matter, will stick better if it has "tooth" to grab. So a quick scuffing of the paint with a sanding pad will help - but only after the floor is CLEAN. Otherwise you be embedding the yuk into the grooves left by the sandpaper and you'll not get the paint to stick.

POR, or any paint for that matter, will stick better if it has "tooth" to grab. So a quick scuffing of the paint with a sanding pad will help - but only after the floor is CLEAN. Otherwise you be embedding the yuk into the grooves left by the sandpaper and you'll not get the paint to stick.

It's been raining off and on today so no work got done on the truck, but not all was lost. Courtesy of a highly disgruntled UPS driver, this showed up today:

IMG_0151.thumb.jpg.4d03fe2c5b5e7d12678d61e2196a7b0e.jpg

Aside from one modest ding on the left lower edge (that will be easy to straighten out), it's remarkably clean and straight, especially for having come from Massachusetts. Our company bonus payout is in March, so sometime afterward is when this will get put onto the truck and the whole thing painted.

A related question: for trucks like mine, where the F O R D lettering on the tailgate was a different color (white) than the primary truck color (red), were the letters painted, or was a decal applied? I tried to look at mine to see, but the lettering is too deteriorated to tell one way or another.

P.S. Much thanks to '1986F150Six', who pointed this gate out to me on eBay when I asked about one.

It's been raining off and on today so no work got done on the truck, but not all was lost. Courtesy of a highly disgruntled UPS driver, this showed up today:

Aside from one modest ding on the left lower edge (that will be easy to straighten out), it's remarkably clean and straight, especially for having come from Massachusetts. Our company bonus payout is in March, so sometime afterward is when this will get put onto the truck and the whole thing painted.

A related question: for trucks like mine, where the F O R D lettering on the tailgate was a different color (white) than the primary truck color (red), were the letters painted, or was a decal applied? I tried to look at mine to see, but the lettering is too deteriorated to tell one way or another.

P.S. Much thanks to '1986F150Six', who pointed this gate out to me on eBay when I asked about one.

Nice find! David did good! :nabble_anim_claps:

I don't know about the color for the FORD on the tailgate. Not sure where to find that, either.