Bullnose Forums

The Truck of Doom: An Occasional Build Thread

Most of the 'better' lines of NAPA parts are great! (And since I know the guys I can get them delivered to my house)

I've always had good luck with NAPA as well; I've only ever had one part (an Echlin voltage regulator) let me down. And even then, it was barely a problem...it seemed to regulate voltage just fine, but the alternator idiot light wouldn't go off until I got the engine up past 2000 RPM or so...and then it would stay off. Replaced it with a Motorcraft part and all was well.

I do miss the days when my brother worked at the county bus shop, and he was pals with the NAPA guy they had their parts contract with. The county discount saved me big bucks on my new A/C compressor!

Most of the 'better' lines of NAPA parts are great! (And since I know the guys I can get them delivered to my house)

I've always had good luck with NAPA as well; I've only ever had one part (an Echlin voltage regulator) let me down. And even then, it was barely a problem...it seemed to regulate voltage just fine, but the alternator idiot light wouldn't go off until I got the engine up past 2000 RPM or so...and then it would stay off. Replaced it with a Motorcraft part and all was well.

I do miss the days when my brother worked at the county bus shop, and he was pals with the NAPA guy they had their parts contract with. The county discount saved me big bucks on my new A/C compressor!

The one that rattles?

You'll be fine on your trek to Podunk! :nabble_smiley_good:

The one that rattles?

I'm not too worried...as I was explaining to my wife last night when she brought it up, aside from the squirrels chewing through the fuel line a few months ago the truck has only left me stranded one time - and that was the week I got it, when nobody realized the charging system was on its last legs. Since then it's been nearly 20,000 miles without fail. I'm confident it won't let me down on its big chance to return home. :nabble_smiley_happy:

The one that rattles?

I'm not too worried...as I was explaining to my wife last night when she brought it up, aside from the squirrels chewing through the fuel line a few months ago the truck has only left me stranded one time - and that was the week I got it, when nobody realized the charging system was on its last legs. Since then it's been nearly 20,000 miles without fail. I'm confident it won't let me down on its big chance to return home. :nabble_smiley_happy:

I bet that left a bad taste in their mouth!

Maybe they learned a lesson?

LOL. And if it didn't and they come back for more, I hope they enjoy the new steel braided line that I replaced the old one with.

LOL. And if it didn't and they come back for more, I hope they enjoy the new steel braided line that I replaced the old one with.

I remember!

And they will remember to floss....:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Yesterday on WHYDTYTT I mentioned that I swapped out the ignition coil as part of my tuneup/ignition system refresh. That went well, so today I finally picked up some actual Motorcraft spark plugs (these are surprisingly hard to find around here):

If all goes to plan I'll have these gapped this afternoon and in the truck this evening. It's been 6-7 years since I've had the plugs out, I think, so while I'm in there I'm going to run some compression checks as well.

Quick question to anyone with their ears on - what’s the difference, if any, between BSF-42C and BSF-42CA plugs? Just noticed my old ones were C and my new ones CA.

Quick question to anyone with their ears on - what’s the difference, if any, between BSF-42C and BSF-42CA plugs? Just noticed my old ones were C and my new ones CA.

Both are Copper core ©

I think the suffix is gap.

Remember, the DSII is .042-.046"

And the old points & condenser plugs are .030 & under

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://jimsprojectgarage.weebly.com/motorcraft-spark-plug-information.html&ved=2ahUKEwi6vdT2qrDjAhWKPM0KHVf0BFYQFjABegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3YrUHL1CRjaZDqQxyzkH3x&cshid=1562967331014

Both are Copper core ©

I think the suffix is gap.

Remember, the DSII is .042-.046"

And the old points & condenser plugs are .030 & under

That chart you linked to (thanks, BTW) didn't seem to explain the difference between C and CA - but given that 'C' means copper, I'm going to assume 'CA' means 'copper alloy', and call it good.

And yes, I gapped them to .044" - right in the middle of the range listed on the label under the hood. :nabble_smiley_happy: