Bullnose Forums

The Truck of Doom: An Occasional Build Thread

You should be good to go. The JBW should have bonded well to itself and probably has a tight grip on the plastic. 👍

I don't want to derail this topic, but I've been reading it with some interest since it started - I've suspected for some time that my rear brakes aren't really participating in the stopping of the truck, and I know my parking brake has fallen down on the job.

If I wanted to do a thorough overhaul/rebuild of my rear brakes ('80 F-150, 2wd, 9" rear), where would I start? Are there good kits that contain everything I would need? And if so, who are the reputable manufacturers?

I don't want to derail this topic, but I've been reading it with some interest since it started - I've suspected for some time that my rear brakes aren't really participating in the stopping of the truck, and I know my parking brake has fallen down on the job.

If I wanted to do a thorough overhaul/rebuild of my rear brakes ('80 F-150, 2wd, 9" rear), where would I start? Are there good kits that contain everything I would need? And if so, who are the reputable manufacturers?

Pull the drums first and see if the wheel cylinders are leaking, and WHY the adjusters are inop.

Don't just be a parts swapper 'because'

Oh, it's not 'because'...well, OK, it is because...because I don't know the maintenance and repair history of the brakes. I remember driving the truck in 2002 or so, years before I got it, and the slightest touch on the brake pedal caused the rear brakes to lock up. It doesn't do that now...but why did that happen, and how was that fixed? No idea. So if I get in there and completely redo them I'll (a) have a baseline for the future, and (b) learn how to do drum brakes.

Oh, it's not 'because'...well, OK, it is because...because I don't know the maintenance and repair history of the brakes. I remember driving the truck in 2002 or so, years before I got it, and the slightest touch on the brake pedal caused the rear brakes to lock up. It doesn't do that now...but why did that happen, and how was that fixed? No idea. So if I get in there and completely redo them I'll (a) have a baseline for the future, and (b) learn how to do drum brakes.

Ok then...

Do you (try to) use the parking brakes regularly?

If you want a baseline, plan on getting everything from the brakelines out.

...AND the hose that is the splitter on the axle vent.

Get the drums, wheel cylinders, hardware kit, spring kit, rear cables, NEW adjusters & shoes.

(I will Never buy another pair of Wagner shoes in my life)

Because, reasons...

Motorcraft, Raybestos, the better of NAPA's house brands, there are choices..

BTW, the rear brakes shouldn't be locking up unless you stand on the pedal. Ever.

(Ok, maybe empty, the first time it rained in a month, going downhill)

Your proportioning valve is faulty.

Have a look at it while you're under the truck

ETA: I'm not *poop* talking Wagner hardware.

But THREE incidents of friction product failure means it's not an option anymore.

BTW, the rear brakes shouldn't be locking up unless you stand on the pedal. Ever.

Exactly. You see why I don't have great confidence in them?

And maybe the proportioning valve was replaced, and that's why it doesn't happen anymore. There's really no way to know - that was about six years into the 14-year stretch where the truck was barely driven, and there's no telling what else was done or not done in that time.

Exactly. You see why I don't have great confidence in them?

And maybe the proportioning valve was replaced, and that's why it doesn't happen anymore. There's really no way to know - that was about six years into the 14-year stretch where the truck was barely driven, and there's no telling what else was done or not done in that time.

Well

If it was barely driven the inside of the drums might have been rusty.

The first time you drove it I could understand them grabbing HARD.

You do know that the way drum geometry is set up they are self applying, right?

And that there is always a front and back shoe?

Exactly. You see why I don't have great confidence in them?And maybe the proportioning valve was replaced, and that's why it doesn't happen anymore. There's really no way to know - that was about six years into the 14-year stretch where the truck was barely driven, and there's no telling what else was done or not done in that time.
I'm reminded of a '55 Chevy truck Dad bought. Ran GREAT, but stopped really poorly. He pulled the rear drums to find them packed full of grease. Not axle lube, but grease! The parking brake cables didn't connect to anything, and most of the hardware that was supposed to be in there wasn't there, so apparently someone put it back together and packed it with grease so it wouldn't rattle.

For me, I like knowing it was done right. And w/o knowing I worry. For instance, there's been a noise in the front end of Big Blue that I think is tires. But, what if it isn't? So I am really liking the idea that the whole front axle will be new when I'm done and I'll have peace of mind that if there is still a noise it is just tires.

Well

If it was barely driven the inside of the drums might have been rusty.

The first time you drove it I could understand them grabbing HARD.

You do know that the way drum geometry is set up they are self applying, right?

And that there is always a front and back shoe?

Should we take this over to the truck of doom?

Maybe Gary can move it for us????