Bullnose Forums

The Truck of Doom: An Occasional Build Thread

There is a nifty little screw extractor made right here in Wolcott, CT by Alden Tool.

Wolcott, huh? Most of my crazy relatives live just down the street from you in Waterbury.

I'll probably do something like that when I have some free time - but I just discovered my seat is ready ("Oh, we finished that yesterday, just hadn't gotten around to calling you"), so I'll be playing with that and trying to get the truck back on the road ASAP.

There is a nifty little screw extractor made right here in Wolcott, CT by Alden Tool.

Wolcott, huh? Most of my crazy relatives live just down the street from you in Waterbury.

I'll probably do something like that when I have some free time - but I just discovered my seat is ready ("Oh, we finished that yesterday, just hadn't gotten around to calling you"), so I'll be playing with that and trying to get the truck back on the road ASAP.

I should have said 'right here in Connecticut, Walcott to be precise'

I'm in Stamford.... down in the toe.

It's still great to see there's still some manufacturing going on in a State that was renowned for its machine tools, firearms and bearings.

UT has sold off most of its profitable brands like Sikorsky and Norden.

They just merged with Rayethon and are moving corporate to Massachusetts, though plants in Hamden and all the independent suppliers are supposed to stay

Matthew, I hope your seat looks as great as the fabric did. :nabble_anim_jump:

The truck is going to be a time capsule when you are done!

It's still great to see there's still some manufacturing going on in a State that was renowned for its machine tools, firearms and bearings.

Yep, a lot of great things used to come out of the NE...some still do of course, but overall it's a shame what's happened to the region over the years. Of course, that's a topic for a whole different kind of forum...

Matthew, I hope your seat looks as great as the fabric did.

Thanks, that's the plan! Wish me luck, I'm headed over there now.

Yep, a lot of great things used to come out of the NE...some still do of course, but overall it's a shame what's happened to the region over the years. Of course, that's a topic for a whole different kind of forum...

Matthew, I hope your seat looks as great as the fabric did.

Thanks, that's the plan! Wish me luck, I'm headed over there now.

Got my seat back, and I am pleased:

IMG_0232.jpg.e11d1a1032aa888de46292b61cabbf3a.jpg

It's going to look great once it's back in the truck. However, before that can happen, a couple other things need to be done. One, I want to repaint the exposed hinges and latch mechanism on the side of the seat; along with the mounting brackets, they've picked up a bit of rust over the years and there's no reason to put them back in looking that way.

The other, more important item, is to fix the passenger side seat track latch. Right now, whenever I have a passenger and hit the brakes, the right end of the bench starts sliding forward which is both disconcerting and probably dangerous. From the looks of things there's supposed to be a spring down there that appears to be missing:

IMG_0235.jpg.a06370a7c0e04125b26061c0b7f84d56.jpg

For comparison, here's the driver's side:

IMG_0233.jpg.0ed4067ee6380350aeada64295f6af8f.jpg

On the driver's side you can see the long thin spring that goes back (in these photos the rear edge of the seat is at the top) to the bolt attaching the rail to the seat frame. This is the spring that returns the adjustment handle to its starting position when you let go after adjusting the seat. I assume something similar happens on the passenger side, but as you can see the latch plates are different. Am I looking for a spring that runs from the same hole the cable is in to the frame bolt at the rear of the seat?

I found a listing on eBay that looks like it could be the right part, but it's listed as being for a 1988 truck. Maybe the part number (E8TZ-1561883-A) is a clue for someone with a parts book? I checked the usual suspects (LMC, NPD, Jeff's) without luck.

Got my seat back, and I am pleased:

It's going to look great once it's back in the truck. However, before that can happen, a couple other things need to be done. One, I want to repaint the exposed hinges and latch mechanism on the side of the seat; along with the mounting brackets, they've picked up a bit of rust over the years and there's no reason to put them back in looking that way.

The other, more important item, is to fix the passenger side seat track latch. Right now, whenever I have a passenger and hit the brakes, the right end of the bench starts sliding forward which is both disconcerting and probably dangerous. From the looks of things there's supposed to be a spring down there that appears to be missing:

For comparison, here's the driver's side:

On the driver's side you can see the long thin spring that goes back (in these photos the rear edge of the seat is at the top) to the bolt attaching the rail to the seat frame. This is the spring that returns the adjustment handle to its starting position when you let go after adjusting the seat. I assume something similar happens on the passenger side, but as you can see the latch plates are different. Am I looking for a spring that runs from the same hole the cable is in to the frame bolt at the rear of the seat?

I found a listing on eBay that looks like it could be the right part, but it's listed as being for a 1988 truck. Maybe the part number (E8TZ-1561883-A) is a clue for someone with a parts book? I checked the usual suspects (LMC, NPD, Jeff's) without luck.

E8TZ would make you think it is for a bricknose truck which has a slightly different bench (although I managed to fit a bullnose cover on mine)

Searching that number on eBay turns up one hit for the same item at $6something and $10 shipping from an outfit in Montevedio, Minnesota.

Gary's said before that Ford often changed part numbers without showing that they'd been superseded .

So, that may well be the correct part.

I'll let someone with a bullnose seat laying around confirm that.

Looks great BTW! :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm sure those wrinkles will stretch or steam out with time.

I'd go on a tangent of Naugahyde's history from Naugatuck, CT but.... :nabble_smiley_blush:

E8TZ would make you think it is for a bricknose truck which has a slightly different bench (although I managed to fit a bullnose cover on mine)

Searching that number on eBay turns up one hit for the same item at $6something and $10 shipping from an outfit in Montevedio, Minnesota.

Gary's said before that Ford often changed part numbers without showing that they'd been superseded .

So, that may well be the correct part.

I'll let someone with a bullnose seat laying around confirm that.

Looks great BTW! :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm sure those wrinkles will stretch or steam out with time.

I'd go on a tangent of Naugahyde's history from Naugatuck, CT but.... :nabble_smiley_blush:

Do you know if my understanding of how the spring is connected is correct? While it would be nice to have the proper spring in there, if I can find one for a reasonable price, I'm actually not hung up on having the precisely correct part; I can probably find a spring laying around here or at the hardware store that would do the job.

Do you know if my understanding of how the spring is connected is correct? While it would be nice to have the proper spring in there, if I can find one for a reasonable price, I'm actually not hung up on having the precisely correct part; I can probably find a spring laying around here or at the hardware store that would do the job.

It would make sense, but like I said I don't have a Bullnose seat...

The spring does look like a carburetor return or small engine governor spring.

Should be easy to find if you have the left side one to compare.

It would make sense, but like I said I don't have a Bullnose seat...

The spring does look like a carburetor return or small engine governor spring.

Should be easy to find if you have the left side one to compare.

Let's see if this new page helps: Interior/Seats & Seat Tracks. And I think you need D1DZ 6261883-A, but see what you think. Looks to me like it is the same spring both sides.