Bullnose Forums

The Truck of Doom: An Occasional Build Thread

Matthew! Good to see from you! Truck looks good, but lonesome.

Thanks, good to be back! Not that I'd ever really left...and I have been reading up on some threads periodically. But with one thing and another the truck has taken a back seat for a while, so not a whole lot of cause to post here. Although now that spring has arrived, I expect that to change somewhat.

And it was definitely a lonely ride to the wing joint to pick up dinner, but the truck *has* made some new friends recently. At the last robotics competition before the season got cancelled, the organizers gave us half of the competition carpet, on the condition we could haul it home that night:

Are you taking classes from home?

Nope! Those of us who have finally graduated have no need for online learning. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Hey! Like was said by others, good to hear from you and see the truck. :nabble_smiley_beam:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey! Like was said by others, good to hear from you and see the truck. :nabble_smiley_beam:

So the weather here outside of Atlanta is nice, I'm locked down with nothing to do...maybe now would be a good time to work on the truck?

I don't want to spend much money at the moment (I'm still working, but I had questions about the stability of my job a couple of months ago and the current situation isn't making things better), so I think I am going to focus on sealing up my cowl leaks (I bought a tube of POR-15 seam sealer a while back) and maybe tightening up the linkages for my windshield wipers.

Anyone have some pearls of wisdom they want to throw my way before I get started?

So the weather here outside of Atlanta is nice, I'm locked down with nothing to do...maybe now would be a good time to work on the truck?

I don't want to spend much money at the moment (I'm still working, but I had questions about the stability of my job a couple of months ago and the current situation isn't making things better), so I think I am going to focus on sealing up my cowl leaks (I bought a tube of POR-15 seam sealer a while back) and maybe tightening up the linkages for my windshield wipers.

Anyone have some pearls of wisdom they want to throw my way before I get started?

Matthew - I certainly understand the reluctance to spend money right now. We have no idea what tomorrow will bring.

But I don't have any pearls of wisdom, and especially not on sealing up cowl leaks as I've not done that. Others have though, and I hope they'll be along soon.

What part are you sealing? I'm getting ready to replace my hood to cowl seal with a garage door seal. Seems to be the cheap route.

No pearls of wisdom either I'm afraid. Just a 'good luck' in cleaning the old stuff out! I saw a thread on it years ago on FTE, using wire wheels etc, they must have had tiny hands and tools because I had no chance of doing that!:nabble_anim_confused:

I just got as much as I could off by using prying tools(screw driver mostly) and pulling pieces off by hand... Then took a wire brush to it, some air to blow away loose debris and then numerous coats of Chassis Saver. It's probably sealed as it is already, but I'm following it up with POR 15 patch(I think the same stuff you're using, it says 'filler and seam sealer') in the seam.

Mine wasn't leaking to begin with, so you might need a more thorough job, then again maybe not, I suppose it's what's on top that matters, not necessarily what's going on underneath...

What part are you sealing? I'm getting ready to replace my hood to cowl seal with a garage door seal. Seems to be the cheap route.

I did the hood to cowl seal last year. This time I’m removing the cowl panel and hopefully sealing up whatever gap is allowing rainwater into the cabin. It’s not a lot of water, but when I redid the cab floor last year I discovered rust. The rust is fixed now, and I’d like to be sure it doesn’t come back.

Also, I’m going to fix my redneck windshield wiper setup - I had to do this when the wiper came off on the way to Skiatook last September, and I’ve been driving around with it ever since. :nabble_smiley_oh_no:

7A4F35F9-A458-4B6E-9CDE-E3412DC42278.jpeg.c9f720701b323a5f37ff53c462125641.jpeg

I did the hood to cowl seal last year. This time I’m removing the cowl panel and hopefully sealing up whatever gap is allowing rainwater into the cabin. It’s not a lot of water, but when I redid the cab floor last year I discovered rust. The rust is fixed now, and I’d like to be sure it doesn’t come back.

Also, I’m going to fix my redneck windshield wiper setup - I had to do this when the wiper came off on the way to Skiatook last September, and I’ve been driving around with it ever since. :nabble_smiley_oh_no:

I haven't looked down in mine. I just got around to pulling the windshield trim from the donor so I'm getting ready to swap the cowl over now. Looks like that wiper didn't get put on all the way. When I did mine I didn't notice one of that didn't get locked in until I pulled them back off later.

I haven't looked down in mine. I just got around to pulling the windshield trim from the donor so I'm getting ready to swap the cowl over now. Looks like that wiper didn't get put on all the way. When I did mine I didn't notice one of that didn't get locked in until I pulled them back off later.

It's weird...no matter what I tried, I couldn't get that wiper to lock down correctly; I think there's a manufacturing flaw in the locking thing on the wiper blade. I've got another blade behind the seat in the truck, but the zip tie worked so well that I didn't bother to replace it right away, and eventually forgot all about it.

Does the windshield trim have to be removed to remove the cowl panel?

It's weird...no matter what I tried, I couldn't get that wiper to lock down correctly; I think there's a manufacturing flaw in the locking thing on the wiper blade. I've got another blade behind the seat in the truck, but the zip tie worked so well that I didn't bother to replace it right away, and eventually forgot all about it.

Does the windshield trim have to be removed to remove the cowl panel?

I had to remove the windshield trim to get the cowl off on Big Blue.

Matthew,

I got a bit in depth with wipers and cowl last September(?) when my wiper motor died.

WHYDTYTT...

I found slop in the motors gearbox output, the plastic retainers between linkage sections, and the wiper pivot posts themselves.

I also went to the later J-hook style wiper arms.

Even with the polka dot cowl I had plenty of muck down at the rubber drains.

While I've tried to seal everything with low modulus urethane caulk, there are still some spots down there that I can't even see.