Bullnose Forum

The Truck of Doom: An Occasional Build Thread

Vent:

IMG_0487.jpg

Reminds me, my vent hose is broken off at the brake splitter.

I noticed it the other day, when I was into the spring hanger.

I guess I was a little distracted. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Those grade 8 bolts let go with a bang! :nabble_smiley_scared:

That's not too unusual. Many of the trucks I've bought had the same thing. And that included Dad's.

Then I realized that Dad's rear diff had a noise in "coast". So when I had the clutches in the diff replaced I wasn't surprised that the ring & pinion were pitted on the back side. I'm guessing that water got in through the vent, but never found it.

That's not too unusual. Many of the trucks I've bought had the same thing. And that included Dad's.

Then I realized that Dad's rear diff had a noise in "coast". So when I had the clutches in the diff replaced I wasn't surprised that the ring & pinion were pitted on the back side. I'm guessing that water got in through the vent, but never found it.

No, not unusual, but something I have to address the next time I'm climbing around under there.

Anyway, glad it is going easily. :nabble_smiley_good:

Going...going...and gone. I reinstalled the joints on the shaft yesterday, and today I got it back in the truck as easy as could be. I think I'm going to call dad in a bit and tell him he sucks at U-joints.

Anyway, I took the truck for a spin on the highway, and all was well. In fact, even though I wasn't able to detect any wear on the old joints, a clunk that occurred during shifts under hard acceleration that I never gave much thought to is now gone. Win!

Anyway, glad it is going easily. :nabble_smiley_good:

Going...going...and gone. I reinstalled the joints on the shaft yesterday, and today I got it back in the truck as easy as could be. I think I'm going to call dad in a bit and tell him he sucks at U-joints.

Anyway, I took the truck for a spin on the highway, and all was well. In fact, even though I wasn't able to detect any wear on the old joints, a clunk that occurred during shifts under hard acceleration that I never gave much thought to is now gone. Win!

Cool! Well done, Matthew. One more item you are sure of. :nabble_smiley_good:

I think I'm going to call dad in a bit and tell him he sucks at U-joints.

It had been a couple of weeks since I last spoke with my parents, so I called down there last night. Dad remembered the U-joint change on the Buick as being difficult, but couldn't recall what the exact problem was - I was only 13 or 14 at the time, so I don't remember either. But he had a good laugh at my having been scarred from the experience. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I think I'm going to call dad in a bit and tell him he sucks at U-joints.

It had been a couple of weeks since I last spoke with my parents, so I called down there last night. Dad remembered the U-joint change on the Buick as being difficult, but couldn't recall what the exact problem was - I was only 13 or 14 at the time, so I don't remember either. But he had a good laugh at my having been scarred from the experience. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Some time back "there" GM started retaining the u-joints with plastic. And they were a BEAR to get out, especially if you didn't know there was plastic in there. Might that have been the problem?

Might that have been the problem?

It was the removal of the joints from the driveshaft that was the hard part, I remember him swearing and pounding the crap out of it...so that certainly could have been it.

I don't know if all Fords are the same, but mine had the common external retaining clips. So easy.

Might that have been the problem?

It was the removal of the joints from the driveshaft that was the hard part, I remember him swearing and pounding the crap out of it...so that certainly could have been it.

I don't know if all Fords are the same, but mine had the common external retaining clips. So easy.

GM used hot injected plastic.

You just heated it with a torch until the plastic started boiling out.... then you smacked them out.

DO NOT stand in the way of a bearing cap.

If it's wet in there and that water turns to steam, the cap is launching like an F18 off the flight deck.

GM used hot injected plastic.

You just heated it with a torch until the plastic started boiling out.... then you smacked them out.

DO NOT stand in the way of a bearing cap.

If it's wet in there and that water turns to steam, the cap is launching like an F18 off the flight deck.

Amen! I was just trying to find out when they started using the plastic and found a post where a guy said that a cap came off and traveled 85', out the open garage door and through a window on the house on the other side of the street.

He said his wife was NOT amused that their son had been there with his father and just happened to not have his face in front of the cap.