Bullnose Forum

The Truck of Doom: An Occasional Build Thread

Looks good for eight years, but you use it on the regular, right?

Yep. I try to drive it at least once a week, and make sure to get it out on the highway at least monthly. Usually I do better than that, though, and overall I'm averaging about 2300 miles/year.

I really like knowing that each part of the vehicle is working right. So I see no problem going through a carb and finding it was working correctly. It just ticks one more box in the "all these are correct" column.

Agreed, it doesn't bother me at all that there's nothing wrong - in fact, it just gives me confidence that my carb rebuilding skills are at an acceptable level. :nabble_smiley_happy:

However, I did discover that the four screws holding the carb body to the throttle body were not as tight as they could have been. They weren't exactly loose, and there was definitely no leak, but they would have been a problem in a few more years. So it suits me just fine to take care of that now.

Looks good for eight years, but you use it on the regular, right?

Yep. I try to drive it at least once a week, and make sure to get it out on the highway at least monthly. Usually I do better than that, though, and overall I'm averaging about 2300 miles/year.

I really like knowing that each part of the vehicle is working right. So I see no problem going through a carb and finding it was working correctly. It just ticks one more box in the "all these are correct" column.

Agreed, it doesn't bother me at all that there's nothing wrong - in fact, it just gives me confidence that my carb rebuilding skills are at an acceptable level. :nabble_smiley_happy:

However, I did discover that the four screws holding the carb body to the throttle body were not as tight as they could have been. They weren't exactly loose, and there was definitely no leak, but they would have been a problem in a few more years. So it suits me just fine to take care of that now.

I'm left with doing the most basic maintenance. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Don't have time or money to get into it unless/until things become a problem.

It a good plan you have.

I'm still kinda disappointed you didn't give Dominc a lesson in making buggy whips....

I'm in the same situation as you, mostly with respect to time. Money's OK, unless my wife decides to take a peek at the credit card statement this past month... :nabble_smiley_scared:

It a good plan you have.

I'm still kinda disappointed you didn't give Dominc a lesson in making buggy whips....

Oh, his time will come. I did drag him downstairs to show it to him and explain what it was and (generally) how it worked. He didn't care, but what 14 year-old (yesterday was his birthday) does? :nabble_smiley_happy:

I'm in the same situation as you, mostly with respect to time. Money's OK, unless my wife decides to take a peek at the credit card statement this past month... :nabble_smiley_scared:

It a good plan you have.

Oh, his time will come. I did drag him downstairs to show it to him and explain what it was and (generally) how it worked. He didn't care, but what 14 year-old (yesterday was his birthday) does? :nabble_smiley_happy:

Happy birthday to him! 🎉🎁🎂

Almost the same day as my son...

I'm sure he had friends and presents to think of.

It a good plan you have.

So, I was able to get the driveshaft out today:

IMG_0482.jpg.aa1586387eea44461829cb35080f4327.jpg

It came out way easier than I expected, which was nice. But, I now have questions:

1. Did these trucks come with greasable U-joints? The joints that are in there now have grease fittings, which I somehow didn't realize before pulling the driveshaft. I'm wondering if these are in fact replacement joints, and not the factory originals I had anticipated.

2. These joints are in really good shape - I pulled the two exposed end caps on the rear joint, and everything looked great with plenty of grease in there. As to the front joint, there's no play whatsoever and everything moves smoothly when I work the joint. Given this...is there any reason not to simply grease the joints up and put them back into service?

So, I was able to get the driveshaft out today:

It came out way easier than I expected, which was nice. But, I now have questions:

1. Did these trucks come with greasable U-joints? The joints that are in there now have grease fittings, which I somehow didn't realize before pulling the driveshaft. I'm wondering if these are in fact replacement joints, and not the factory originals I had anticipated.

2. These joints are in really good shape - I pulled the two exposed end caps on the rear joint, and everything looked great with plenty of grease in there. As to the front joint, there's no play whatsoever and everything moves smoothly when I work the joint. Given this...is there any reason not to simply grease the joints up and put them back into service?

I think the originals had grease fittings, but I really don't know for sure. But if everything looks good I see no reason to replace them. Just make sure you make sure that grease flows from all four bearings of each joint. And if one doesn't flow then you'll want to pull it apart to find out why.

I think the originals had grease fittings, but I really don't know for sure. But if everything looks good I see no reason to replace them. Just make sure you make sure that grease flows from all four bearings of each joint. And if one doesn't flow then you'll want to pull it apart to find out why.

I think that's what I'm going to do...in the meantime, hopefully someone will chime in on the following:

I just got done looking at my rear axle...it's a standard Ford 9", 2.75 gearing. I had gotten the idea somewhere that the oil change procedure was to pump the oil out through the vent tube fitting, but the vent is on the axle tube...doesn't seem like I could get much out that way. Or do I pump it out of the fill hole on the side? My Haynes manual is curiously silent on the topic, and there are a thousand different theories on the internet.

Or am I wasting my time here completely, and should just top it off through the fill hole and call it a day?

Fill hole:

IMG_0486.jpg.74bd3608b02c273d173aaf03b1bc2602.jpg

Vent:

IMG_0487.jpg.92cd5dcba2f1c927379a7b7b3f74b978.jpg

I think that's what I'm going to do...in the meantime, hopefully someone will chime in on the following:

I just got done looking at my rear axle...it's a standard Ford 9", 2.75 gearing. I had gotten the idea somewhere that the oil change procedure was to pump the oil out through the vent tube fitting, but the vent is on the axle tube...doesn't seem like I could get much out that way. Or do I pump it out of the fill hole on the side? My Haynes manual is curiously silent on the topic, and there are a thousand different theories on the internet.

Or am I wasting my time here completely, and should just top it off through the fill hole and call it a day?

Fill hole:

Vent:

You pump it out via the fill hole. And if you have a pump I'd do it rather than just top it off. That way you are likely to get any water out that might be in there as water can cause all kinds of problems.

You pump it out via the fill hole. And if you have a pump I'd do it rather than just top it off. That way you are likely to get any water out that might be in there as water can cause all kinds of problems.

Hmmm, good point. The pump it is - and fortunately I just happen to have one.

Meanwhile, I'm changing the U-joints out completely; I didn't like the look of one of the seals as I was pumping grease in, so out they come. I've been pleasantly surprised with how easy the process has been so far; I'm still scarred from the memory of helping my dad change the U-joints on my mom's '67 LeSabre when I was a kid. Maybe this will put those demons to rest. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Hmmm, good point. The pump it is - and fortunately I just happen to have one.

Meanwhile, I'm changing the U-joints out completely; I didn't like the look of one of the seals as I was pumping grease in, so out they come. I've been pleasantly surprised with how easy the process has been so far; I'm still scarred from the memory of helping my dad change the U-joints on my mom's '67 LeSabre when I was a kid. Maybe this will put those demons to rest. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

My folks had a '67 LeSabre as well, but I don't remember changing u-joints. I left for college in '65 so if that had to be done Dad would have done it.

Anyway, glad it is going easily. :nabble_smiley_good: