Bullnose Forum

The Truck of Doom: An Occasional Build Thread

So now that my air cleaner housing is assembled and clocked correctly, the hose from the oil cap to the housing is now too short. So while I had the cap off, I got to thinking - shouldn't there be a gasket of some kind on it?

The cap has never fit snugly, and I suspect that's the reason there's so much filthy grease anti-rust compound all over my engine compartment. If there really is supposed to be a gasket, anyone know what it was originally made of, and what the dimensions (primarily thickness) were?

My oil fill caps have had a cork gasket. But I'd much rather have a "rubber" one.

I powder coated one cap by driving the flat piece that serves as the retainer, replacing the gasket, and then driving it back in.

My oil fill caps have had a cork gasket. But I'd much rather have a "rubber" one.

I powder coated one cap by driving the flat piece that serves as the retainer, replacing the gasket, and then driving it back in.

Well, they do have that red rubber sheet in the plumbing section.

It seems about the same durometer and thickness (1/8"?)... maybe a bit more.

My old 300 with the same cap had a relatively thin rubber gasket on it, no bigger than the diameter of the cap, actually a little smaller. Don't really know how it could possibly have sealed anything, but it was obviously worn out.

If there really is supposed to be a gasket, anyone know what it was originally made of, and what the dimensions (primarily thickness) were?

The cap on my 84 302 still had a gasket on there when I bought it, but it was already broken and falling off. It was some kind of cork material and it was really thin. It may have been 1/8" when it was new, but it was all squished out flat by the time I got it.

So now that my air cleaner housing is assembled and clocked correctly, the hose from the oil cap to the housing is now too short. So while I had the cap off, I got to thinking - shouldn't there be a gasket of some kind on it?

The cap has never fit snugly, and I suspect that's the reason there's so much filthy grease anti-rust compound all over my engine compartment. If there really is supposed to be a gasket, anyone know what it was originally made of, and what the dimensions (primarily thickness) were?

What's the ID/OD of the mating surfaces?

Maybe something like this would work if you opened it up?

Amazon sells a bunch of different sizes, and silicone is oil resistant, says operating temp -70 to 500.

And, 1000 psig!!! http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/head-rotfl-57x22_orig.gif

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0075E9GCM/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

61JQzetnlRL.jpg.136ae4e88079022433403c6c9e63b986.jpg

Edit: I guessed at 1 7/8 OD based on the Sharpie. Maybe I'm wrong?

But it would certainly be flexible enough to go over the strap, unlike Gary's method.

Jim, you win again...I really am going to have to put a plaque in your honor on the firewall.

The 1/8" red rubber sheeting at Home Depot was perfect for this purpose:

IMG_0435.jpg.6ffa6ebdd77226d9b86ff154dba28eeb.jpg

Even your photogrammetry was spot on...it was in fact 1-7/8" OD. I just checked it out on the truck, and that cap is as snug as the day it left Kansas City.

Jim, you win again...I really am going to have to put a plaque in your honor on the firewall.

Even your photogrammetry was spot on...it was in fact 1-7/8" OD. I just checked it out on the truck, and that cap is as snug as the day it left Kansas City.

I've said, I'm a real materials geek. 🤓

I'm always glad if I can share and help someone!

Given everything else he has going on right now before school gets underway, I've decided to give Dominic a pass on rebuilding the carburetor this time around. So I'm doing it myself, and so far I am really pleased with the condition of the carburetor when I first cracked it open:

IMG_0444.jpg.67b0de670d63f8e2cabf729cb4781a90.jpg

If memory serves it's been about 8 years since I last rebuilt the carburetor, and it's still looking pretty clean and shiny in there. Only the faintest trace of sediment in the bowl, everything is still in place, and the accelerator pump is working fine. In retrospect I'm certain there's no need for me to be in here at all, but it never hurts to be sure.

Given everything else he has going on right now before school gets underway, I've decided to give Dominic a pass on rebuilding the carburetor this time around. So I'm doing it myself, and so far I am really pleased with the condition of the carburetor when I first cracked it open:

If memory serves it's been about 8 years since I last rebuilt the carburetor, and it's still looking pretty clean and shiny in there. Only the faintest trace of sediment in the bowl, everything is still in place, and the accelerator pump is working fine. In retrospect I'm certain there's no need for me to be in here at all, but it never hurts to be sure.

Looks good for eight years, but you use it on the regular, right?

Dominic missed out on basket weaving class!

I really like knowing that each part of the vehicle is working right. So I see no problem going through a carb and finding it was working correctly. It just ticks one more box in the "all these are correct" column.