Bullnose Forum

The Truck of Doom: An Occasional Build Thread

I actually don't know much about JB Weld, either. But what I do know is that it dries very hard - which is why I went with it. I think my best chance of keeping these locks is to keep flexing to a minimum, as it's flexing that causes the old brittle plastic to snap. I'm hopeful that this will bind everything into place rigidly.

Acrylic is very inflexible, almost too brittle.

But using an acrylic adhesive would actually get a 'bite' on Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene.

Nitrile, butyl and styrene are polmerized with the acrylic to give it better moulding qualities and resilience.

Source: my father was director of engineering at a plastic manufacturer and I am a material science GEEK.

:nabble_anim_claps: :nabble_love-23x23_orig: :nabble_smiley_good:

Yeah, autism can be a curse and a blessing.

"I'm not disabled, I'm differentlyabled" LOL :nabble_anim_blbl:

OK, so the first round of JB Weld has set up pretty well, and this is what it looks like underneath the metal plate:

IMG_0284.thumb.jpg.26a985765375bec7c84d9e9770831f1c.jpg

I wasn't able to get my phone to focus on the right spot, but if you squint you can see just a thin line of JB Weld showing through where the tab rises up through the plate. This is just what I was hoping to see.

I've since mixed up another blob, and with a toothpick applied a fillet of JB to all four of those points. If all goes well that will give me a bond above and below the metal, and hopefully that will be enough to keep things in place for the long haul. I'll let it set up for a day or two, and maybe Sunday I'll put it back in the truck.

And thanks for the offers of help with the turn signal...although really, it's not that bad; the whole thing didn't run clear, just one corner. I could probably fix it with a green marker if I really wanted to, although the green LED is a good idea that I may well try next time I have it opened up.

OK, so the first round of JB Weld has set up pretty well, and this is what it looks like underneath the metal plate:

I wasn't able to get my phone to focus on the right spot, but if you squint you can see just a thin line of JB Weld showing through where the tab rises up through the plate. This is just what I was hoping to see.

I've since mixed up another blob, and with a toothpick applied a fillet of JB to all four of those points. If all goes well that will give me a bond above and below the metal, and hopefully that will be enough to keep things in place for the long haul. I'll let it set up for a day or two, and maybe Sunday I'll put it back in the truck.

And thanks for the offers of help with the turn signal...although really, it's not that bad; the whole thing didn't run clear, just one corner. I could probably fix it with a green marker if I really wanted to, although the green LED is a good idea that I may well try next time I have it opened up.

Another layer of the onion...

Progress is good!

And you are making a lot of progress lately Matthew. :nabble_smiley_good:

And a many-layered onion it is!

Progress is good!

I am! I don't want to sound like I'm proselytizing here, but you know what I think it is? My new diet. I've been eating somewhere between low-carb and keto the last two months, and I think I'm getting that energy boost the proponents talk about. I've been getting things done on the truck, I'm getting things done around the house, and I'm down nearly 20 pounds as well. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Progress is good!

I am! I don't want to sound like I'm proselytizing here, but you know what I think it is? My new diet. I've been eating somewhere between low-carb and keto the last two months, and I think I'm getting that energy boost the proponents talk about. I've been getting things done on the truck, I'm getting things done around the house, and I'm down nearly 20 pounds as well. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Well congratulations!

Preach it!!!

Sounds like it's really working for you.

Progress is good!

Wow, it sounds like it is really working for you. Congrat's! :nabble_anim_claps:

Looking at it this morning, everything has set up and the metal plate feels like it's locked in place nice and strong. I'll be at my parents' place at the lake tomorrow, and when I return Sunday I'll pop this back in. If I can get it seated in the door panel without any of the bonds breaking, I think this will be good for years.

Looking at it this morning, everything has set up and the metal plate feels like it's locked in place nice and strong. I'll be at my parents' place at the lake tomorrow, and when I return Sunday I'll pop this back in. If I can get it seated in the door panel without any of the bonds breaking, I think this will be good for years.

You should be good to go. The JBW should have bonded well to itself and probably has a tight grip on the plastic. 👍