Bullnose Forums

The Truck of Doom: An Occasional Build Thread

Thanks, guys. Depending on how things shake out, I may start fiddling with it this weekend.

As a random bit of trivia, it was 11 years ago today that my truck loaded up for the trip from Oklahoma to Georgia. My dad and brother went out to get it, that's dad's truck pulling it home:

Screenshot_20201003-094142_Facebook.jpg.d935363693eb1f2e83a09b8cca5c13bc.jpg

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

While it would be nice to have the proper spring in there, if I can find one for a reasonable price, I'm actually not hung up on having the precisely correct part; I can probably find a spring laying around here or at the hardware store that would do the job.

I'm in the middle of a major exam for school so I haven't had much opportunity to make progress on the truck, but I did have enough time between code runs to fiddle with the seat track latch. I bought a $2 spring from Ace hardware, robbed our holiday closet for a Christmas decoration stake, and voila:

The track on the bottom is the factory-standard one, and the top one is the one I rigged. Sure, I could have spent $20 on eBay and waited a week for delivery for the correct spring, but what fun is that? This way whoever owns the truck after me will be able to gripe about the incompetent hack of a PO who came before him. :nabble_smiley_happy:

I picked up 2 springs for 2.40 at crappy tire. using coathangers as the metal pieces to connect the spring to the latch mechanism. 7' of cable (1.25) + 2 cable stays (1.50). ~10.00 for the fix.

I picked up 2 springs for 2.40 at crappy tire. using coathangers as the metal pieces to connect the spring to the latch mechanism. 7' of cable (1.25) + 2 cable stays (1.50). ~10.00 for the fix.

Thanks for the response. But you may have missed the email that Jim sent you asking you to post an introduction in the New Members Start Here folder before posting elsewhere. That's because we have a copy of our guidelines posted there and want everyone to have an opportunity to see them since we hold everyone to them.

Plus, this is a community and we like to get to know each other. So please go to the New Members Start Here folder and introduce yourself.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the response. But you may have missed the email that Jim sent you asking you to post an introduction in the New Members Start Here folder before posting elsewhere. That's because we have a copy of our guidelines posted there and want everyone to have an opportunity to see them since we hold everyone to them.Plus, this is a community and we like to get to know each other. So please go to the New Members Start Here folder and introduce yourself.
Time to bring this thread back from the grave!What with work, my son's high school robotics team, and other commitments I haven't done much with the truck in a couple of years aside from driving it. But with the truck show (hopefully) coming up in September, I need to get the truck in shape to make the 900 mile run to Skiatook. So what needs to be done? Let's make a list:
  • Air and fuel filter replacement (done)
  • Oil change
  • Windshield wiper replacement
  • Brake fluid check/possible replacement
  • Engine coolant replacement
  • Hood realignment
  • Radio antenna repair
  • Ignition switch & key cylinder replacement
  • Duraspark module cleanup
  • Carb adjustment/tuneup
  • Tire check & rotation
  • Anything else that pops up
The #1 thing that has to get done right away is the ignition switch and key cylinder. I described here and here the problems I've been having, and they're still going on. I needed the truck today to get mulch from Home Depot, and I was initially excited that my windshield wipers came on when I started the truck. Milliseconds later the excitement was gone, as the wipers stopped moving again at the worst possible place:

IMG_4219.jpg.78c62621c4eb7ac58060d48ebe3b25bc.jpg

Fortunately I don't have a need to drive the truck again any time soon, so hopefully I can get a few of these items knocked out quickly.

Time to bring this thread back from the grave!What with work, my son's high school robotics team, and other commitments I haven't done much with the truck in a couple of years aside from driving it. But with the truck show (hopefully) coming up in September, I need to get the truck in shape to make the 900 mile run to Skiatook. So what needs to be done? Let's make a list:
  • Air and fuel filter replacement (done)
  • Oil change
  • Windshield wiper replacement
  • Brake fluid check/possible replacement
  • Engine coolant replacement
  • Hood realignment
  • Radio antenna repair
  • Ignition switch & key cylinder replacement
  • Duraspark module cleanup
  • Carb adjustment/tuneup
  • Tire check & rotation
  • Anything else that pops up
The #1 thing that has to get done right away is the ignition switch and key cylinder. I described here and here the problems I've been having, and they're still going on. I needed the truck today to get mulch from Home Depot, and I was initially excited that my windshield wipers came on when I started the truck. Milliseconds later the excitement was gone, as the wipers stopped moving again at the worst possible place:

Fortunately I don't have a need to drive the truck again any time soon, so hopefully I can get a few of these items knocked out quickly.

Well, the truck show is a given, so you'd best get cracking on the list. :nabble_smiley_wink:I think you can knock the key/switch problem out pretty easily in an afternoon - assuming there's nothing more seriously wrong than a bad switch. The other stuff can be done a couple at a time on an evening or Saturday. You'll get there with time to spare. :nabble_anim_claps:

Well, the truck show is a given, so you'd best get cracking on the list. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I think you can knock the key/switch problem out pretty easily in an afternoon - assuming there's nothing more seriously wrong than a bad switch. The other stuff can be done a couple at a time on an evening or Saturday. You'll get there with time to spare. :nabble_anim_claps:

I actually tried starting on the ignition switch issue yesterday, but gave up for the evening when I found a strange wire running across the underside of the steering column, which would have prevented me from lowering the column. I knew I needed the truck today, so I didn't want to get too involved in taking things apart last night. Now that I think about it, the wire probably goes to either the dealer A/C controls or to the radio, both of which were installed by Cletus the Truck Molester when he worked at Don Thornton Ford back in the day. I should have plenty of time this week to figure that out and then get the switch replaced.

I actually tried starting on the ignition switch issue yesterday, but gave up for the evening when I found a strange wire running across the underside of the steering column, which would have prevented me from lowering the column. I knew I needed the truck today, so I didn't want to get too involved in taking things apart last night. Now that I think about it, the wire probably goes to either the dealer A/C controls or to the radio, both of which were installed by Cletus the Truck Molester when he worked at Don Thornton Ford back in the day. I should have plenty of time this week to figure that out and then get the switch replaced.

Good hearing from you, Matthew! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Good hearing from you, Matthew! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Good to be heard from!

I've realized I've missed working on the truck, and keeping up with all of you and your projects on here. Hopefully I can strike a better balance going forward.