Bullnose Forums

87-96 Bricknose Tailgate on a Bullnose

Sorry for the delay. I'm also on the east coast and we were having some freak tornado warnings here on the PA/NJ border this evening!

I'm adding some images of the driver's side and passenger-side with the tailgate removed from the pivots to show the lower and upper mounting areas.

If you think you can take a look at your truck to see if at least the pivots match that would help a ton!

My hinges (pivots) are essentially the same.

Here is the right side with the striker and the corresponding cup on the tailgate.

Then a pic of the latch.

IMG_20190530_072009.jpg.984a27cd6269c3c46a7f9d2c71b04aa6.jpg

IMG_20190530_072025.jpg.fbce3edb94826ddfd634fe7e79e2e5ef.jpg

IMG_20190530_072029.jpg.c02c26c6c8079ecbb14c6b37f50ce652.jpg

The major difference is that I have door striker type catches while you have bails.

You could look up the Bullnose part on here: Exterior/Beds Tailgates & Components. And here's the illustration you would find:

But since this is a Bullnose site you wouldn't find this illustration for the later trucks:

Gary,

I'm looking at your '87-> illustration

I see 404A42 but the nutplate that fits inside is shown above the LH tail light and there's no numbers visible.

I'm going to assume a pair of each of these would be needed to make a bricknose gate work with the older bed.

Gary,

I'm looking at your '87-> illustration

I see 404A42 but the nutplate that fits inside is shown above the LH tail light and there's no numbers visible.

I'm going to assume a pair of each of these would be needed to make a bricknose gate work with the older bed.

Jim - Does this help?

1987_Tailgate_Illustrations.thumb.jpg.b329e88642e54599915b45c89254fda8.jpg

Here's what the part numbers are. Note that it says 1988 & '89. Not '87. But that's at odds with the illustration that says '87 on.

And yet it is an E9TZ number?

What does the asterix denote?

I saw some notes on the drawing like only serviced in assy xyz, but no *

The next time I have one of my tail lights off I'm going to have a look inside.

And yet it is an E9TZ number?

What does the asterix denote?

I saw some notes on the drawing like only serviced in assy xyz, but no *

The next time I have one of my tail lights off I'm going to have a look inside.

Ford was really inconsistent with how they treated replacement part numbers, and this is a good example. Just do away with what had to have been an E7TZ part number and replace it in the catalog with the E9TZ. But when the F2 part came out they said "replaced by". :nabble_anim_confused:

Ford was really inconsistent with how they treated replacement part numbers, and this is a good example. Just do away with what had to have been an E7TZ part number and replace it in the catalog with the E9TZ. But when the F2 part came out they said "replaced by". :nabble_anim_confused:

I forgot: * Indicates Motorcraft Sales Part Number

My hinges (pivots) are essentially the same.

Here is the right side with the striker and the corresponding cup on the tailgate.

Then a pic of the latch.

The major difference is that I have door striker type catches while you have bails.

Thanks very much for posting these. I ended up taking a trip to an area pick & pull and found a brick nose and bullnose to compare side by side.

More surprisingly, there was a donor bullnose that had a straight $40 tailgate! The truck I pulled it from was a different color; so amazingly this tailgate has survived 30+ years in the PA/NJ rust-zone to be on at least its third truck(just look at the "fender rust repair-panels on the donor truck!). It's not perfect, but much better than the repro that's been hanging off of my truck.

Tailgate1.thumb.jpg.a1fa74139d9f3f1b52f8f62bcaeb5c27.jpg

Tailgate2.jpg.909109130f817d73f45373c5d6de5634.jpgTailgate3.jpg.9c48863aba10b48b448401dbfc749dd1.jpg

Thanks very much for posting these. I ended up taking a trip to an area pick & pull and found a brick nose and bullnose to compare side by side.

More surprisingly, there was a donor bullnose that had a straight $40 tailgate! The truck I pulled it from was a different color; so amazingly this tailgate has survived 30+ years in the PA/NJ rust-zone to be on at least its third truck(just look at the "fender rust repair-panels on the donor truck!). It's not perfect, but much better than the repro that's been hanging off of my truck.

Wow that's fortunate, and pretty astounding that you found one close to you in such great shape!

I think it suits your truck much better than the slab that is a '87-'92 tailgate.