Bullnose Forums

Flareside rear tag

PO had the tag mounted in center of bumper. That won't work with a hitch as well as not being the way it should be. On the left side of the rear, there are two holes that I assume mounted the stock tag bracket. I I actually prefer the tag mounted under the taillight, like the older trucks, but if i can get a proper bracket, I'll mount it like the '82s were done. Anyone have one ?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant remember if anyone sells the right bracket & light now as it was some time ago I kind of asked the same question.

Yes the 2 holes are for the plate bracket.

I think for now I am going to go with a cheap set of trailer lights because I have them, and the plate bracket that fits the light. I will use LED bulbs in the lights, same with the front park/turn and side markers.

What I would like to do is get the older p/u tail lights in a crest shape and small backup light on each side either under or next to it on the inside.

Then again I may find something else I like better?

Dave ----

I cant remember if anyone sells the right bracket & light now as it was some time ago I kind of asked the same question.

Yes the 2 holes are for the plate bracket.

I think for now I am going to go with a cheap set of trailer lights because I have them, and the plate bracket that fits the light. I will use LED bulbs in the lights, same with the front park/turn and side markers.

What I would like to do is get the older p/u tail lights in a crest shape and small backup light on each side either under or next to it on the inside.

Then again I may find something else I like better?

Dave ----

I have a tag light the PO was using. I have no idea if it is correct, but the tag bracket definitely looks like aftermarket crap. If someone can at least show what the stock piece looks like?

Sure, was the stock piece really that monstrosity ? :) That has to weigh a couple lbs :)

The stock bracket isn't as huge as the drawing makes it look. The correct brackets are like finding hen's teeth.

What I figured out is that most of these trucks with styleside boxes have a tag bracket and light under the left corner of the box. Remember - rear bumpers were an option back then... If you get a bracket from a styleside, it doesn't take much modification to make it fit our flaresides. The hole spacing is the same, all you have to do is trim the upper right corner to clear the bumper bracket. It tucks the lamp behind the bumper and works perfectly! (And personally, I think it looks better than the "correct" bracket!)

The stock bracket isn't as huge as the drawing makes it look. The correct brackets are like finding hen's teeth.

What I figured out is that most of these trucks with styleside boxes have a tag bracket and light under the left corner of the box. Remember - rear bumpers were an option back then... If you get a bracket from a styleside, it doesn't take much modification to make it fit our flaresides. The hole spacing is the same, all you have to do is trim the upper right corner to clear the bumper bracket. It tucks the lamp behind the bumper and works perfectly! (And personally, I think it looks better than the "correct" bracket!)

Thing is most style sides had step bumpers and the plate mounted in the center of the bumper that had a little light on each side.

That is what my parts truck had, step bumper.

Dave ----

Good to know the bracket for Styleside is about the same, but as mentioned, find one without a bumper in the salvage yard. In the end, I think I'll just make a bracket. When I do, I'll post a pic.

That may explain why the PO sold me my truck with the plate secured by zip ties hanging through those left-side bolt holes. He said his OEM bracket has been stolen with his plates a few weeks earlier.

I bodged an ugly little job with flat stock (looks like a long "H" hung sideways) as a temporary solution until I planned on finding a replacement on Ebay or one of the used parts houses. That prospect now looks unlikely based on the feedback here and in other forums.

I guess I'll be looking for a styleside piece to hack, too. Thanks for the comparability info.