Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco Alternator wiring mess!

Just a word of warning....

Always start by removing the fill plug.

Whether it is a diff, gearbox or transfer case, make sure you can get fluid into it before draining all the fluid out.

Plugs can get stuck and sometimes there's little room for a bigger wrench.

The aluminum plugs on Borg Warner transfer cases are real bad about stripping out completely.

It can make an easy job a nightmare if you need to use that vehicle to enact plan B.

Thanks ArdWrknTrk, great advice! I am thinking I will get to this at the weekend...

I don’t think the pinion seal is all that tricky either.
It's actually much more complicated TO DO CORRECTLY than most people realize...

The pinion bearing preload is critical, and it takes an inch-pound torque wrench (which is a rare beast) to measure or set it. Before removing the pinion nut, the preload should be measured (which is a process in itself) so that the nut can be re-installed to the same setting later. This is NOT the torque on the nut (which is over 200 lb-ft). Yes, many people skip all that & just tighten the hell out of it. And some of them even get substantial life out of the axle afterward. But it's not likely.

The pinion bearing preload is critical, and it takes an inch-pound torque wrench (which is a rare beast) to measure or set it. Before removing the pinion nut, the preload should be measured (which is a process in itself) so that the nut can be re-installed to the same setting later. This is NOT the torque on the nut (which is over 200 lb-ft). Yes, many people skip all that & just tighten the hell out of it. And some of them even get substantial life out of the axle afterward. But it's not likely.

Absolutely. Looks like I need to add that section to the website.

Thanks Steve, I did see a video about this on YouTube.. about 5 mins in he talks about the crush sleeve and at 6:20 in the guy describes what he does. I think this is the way I will tackle it.. as this is a low milage vehicle I hope it is enough!

• 4 weeks later...