Bullnose Forums

Thermactor/Smog Pump Rebuild

Hey, I'm in your debt, big time. Happy to send you one or two. But let me check to ensure it/they seem to work.

You owe me not a haypenny Gary. I've learned more on this forum than I could ever hope to give back.

You owe me not a haypenny Gary. I've learned more on this forum than I could ever hope to give back.

Maybe a farthing then? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Haven't been to the shop yet today, but maybe later this afternoon or at least tomorrow. Will check out the pump(s) then.

In T-Town at a Barnes & Nobles. Gotta buy this 2019 London Guide as it has so many pics of places we've been and may want to go again. Good memories that I want to share tonight with Janey.

Great reminder Bill. I keep forgetting they are a great resource and often we'll priced for small quantities.

I've had good luck walking into the Grainger store, too, if I find someone behind the counter that likes a challenge.

Grainger is fantastic, but the nearest one to me is roughly 70 miles including a $20 round trip toll. I do have an online account with them which helps.

You may be able to find a replacement bearing if you can find any numbers on it. Amazon has excellent prices on small bearings.

The small bearing is no problem.

The large ring bearing is pricey.

I went to eBay, but don't recall what it cost.

Mark - My pump is frozen up as well. Sorry. You are welcome to it but I seriously doubt that you want it.

Ah, they do tend to fall to that entropy state. I'll perform the same work needed for yours on the one I've got. Thanks for checking that reserve inventory- my old kit tends to migrate to the least convenient locations.

Post-script to this-

I found a vendor that offers rebuilds of these & offers a separate DIY kit with bearings, and both styles of carbon strips these pumps use. After I get a chance to test their offerings, I'll post back to close out the thread.

Post-script to this-

I found a vendor that offers rebuilds of these & offers a separate DIY kit with bearings, and both styles of carbon strips these pumps use. After I get a chance to test their offerings, I'll post back to close out the thread.

:nabble_smiley_good:

• 3 months later...

Gary,

Is there a post describing how to remove this system in its entirety?

Thanks.

I don't think there is one post about removing the thermactor pump. There are probably many posts about that subject. Nor do we have a page on that in the documentation. But we do have a page with illustrations and part #'s here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/thermactor-systems.html.

I'm not exactly sure why, but it isn't all that difficult to do. But, before doing that you need to think about why the pump is there - to put air/oxygen into the catalytic converter. So without the pump the converter(s) won't work properly and may clog.

Also, the thermactor system doesn't use enough power to make much difference, so there's not much benefit in removing it.

Anyway, you don't have a signature and didn't say what your engine is, so I'm not sure what more to say.