Bullnose Forums

80 F100 Flareside

crestfallinman

Yeah I have the bigger 5 x 5.5 bolt pattern so I have the bigger kingpins, I emailed djm every month for about 4 years asking about the lowering kit, alas when they came out with it I didn't have the funds lol

If I can find a 351 it shouldn't be terrible to bolt up, the only downside is if I keep it "period" I would need a 351m which uses the bb bellhousing so I would have to find a 351c or 351m. I do have to change my oil pan gasket, (dreading that job) so when I do that I feel like I will get a better feel for how the internals are and if it's doable to slap on a better set of heads, a hopped up cam and some headers and go with the 302

In my slightly older years I have the woodworking tools and experience to fit up the right wood bed, I just have to actually do it

Wow cab off, I would love to do that down the road. I can't wait to see yours when it's done, But I love driving this thing it's hard to rip apart a truck that's running well Lol

I wouldn't go with a 351M. It isn't that I don't like them. I really do like them. However, you cannot get pistons for them that provide anything more than just barely 8:1 compression. Instead, you would need to find a 400, which is exactly the same but has 1/2" more stroke. There are good piston choices for them.

But I'll warn you that building a 400 is more expensive than building a Windsor. There aren't that many doing it so the parts prices are higher.

However, how many people do you know that can tell the difference in a 302 and a 351W just by looking? Yes, a 351W is not "correct" in an '80, but very few will know that nor be able to tell the difference.

I wouldn't go with a 351M. It isn't that I don't like them. I really do like them. However, you cannot get pistons for them that provide anything more than just barely 8:1 compression. Instead, you would need to find a 400, which is exactly the same but has 1/2" more stroke. There are good piston choices for them.

But I'll warn you that building a 400 is more expensive than building a Windsor. There aren't that many doing it so the parts prices are higher.

However, how many people do you know that can tell the difference in a 302 and a 351W just by looking? Yes, a 351W is not "correct" in an '80, but very few will know that nor be able to tell the difference.

Yeah the more I read about the 351m made me want to do that less, the downside is they are so accessable. There are several in my area at low prices.

For now I think in going to keep the 302, I like the motor, it runs well and when I get some time I can hop it up and it will be enough for me. I don't plan on towing with this truck, it is more of a fun truck to take out on the weekends and make short trips around town, plus I love the sound of a 302 with a good set of heads

In the future I would love to get a 351w and have it built maybe even stroked to a 408, but for now I think if I throw a good set of headers and a few minor mods on, the 302 should be more than enough

Yeah the more I read about the 351m made me want to do that less, the downside is they are so accessable. There are several in my area at low prices.

For now I think in going to keep the 302, I like the motor, it runs well and when I get some time I can hop it up and it will be enough for me. I don't plan on towing with this truck, it is more of a fun truck to take out on the weekends and make short trips around town, plus I love the sound of a 302 with a good set of heads

In the future I would love to get a 351w and have it built maybe even stroked to a 408, but for now I think if I throw a good set of headers and a few minor mods on, the 302 should be more than enough

I am with Gary on the 351W who would know it's not a 302?

I think someone pointed out you can see the space between the intake to block is different between them but again you would really need to know your motors to tell.

In my old age I some times take the easy route just has not been on this project.

Oh it was just a cheap $800 truck to run trash to the dump, not any more LOL

I know you, others and myself cant wait to see the truck done too!

The big hurtle now is to get paint on it, then it will feel like it's down hill from there.

Dave ----

i found a couple of older pics from when i had the gen 1 lightning rims

they are also much better quality pictures

i switched back to the original style wheels with white letter tires, and im still unsure which look i prefer

Looks good! But I think I'd like the original wheels better than the Lightning rims.

Looks good! But I think I'd like the original wheels better than the Lightning rims.

I personally went down the 351M/400 rabbit hole with my 1980 F150, for the same reason of "keeping it original". Trust me, it's not worth it. You'd be surprised how many things are 80-81 specific on those motors. If you really wanted to keep it original, you'd have to source all of that stuff too, and it's not easy.