Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Today has been a frustrating day. But I have to remember that two steps forward and one back is still progress. :nabble_smiley_sad:

First, I set my fancy laptop up to be Janey's computer in her sewing room, but am having problems with it forgetting about the external monitor after a while. The computer appears to be going to sleep despite me having it set to NEVER. And when we wake it by moving the mouse it is in a new world.

Second, went to the shop with the goal of getting the brakes and wheels on Big Blue today. Not going to happen. The first issue was that I couldn't find the pins the calipers slide on. (Yes, that's one of the nice features of the '95 D60 - it has the sliding calipers.) I turned the place upside down and cannot find the pins/bolts I took off.

So I went to Amazon and they had some from several vendors that would fit. And the Dorman ones were said to be here tomorrow when I ordered them. But when the email came in it is going to be Wed or Thursday. I'm NOT playing that game, so canceled the order.

And, since none of the other Amazon-sourced parts could be here any sooner I went to Rock Auto and ordered the Raybestos ones - although I don't know when they'll be here.

Then I discovered that the upper ball joint's grease fitting hit the u-joint. In the pic below it is actually stuck, but I was able to get it unstuck and out.

Then the question became how to get the smaller straight one in there. After trying with my fingers I tried this approach, and held it up in place with a screwdriver. It worked!

And, here's the result, although I don't know how I'm going to grease it. Guess I'm done wrenching for the day. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Chalk one up for the smaller axle yokes in the D44.

The zero clearance grease tip isn't needed if the wheel isn't locked and you can turn the axle between caps.

Chalk one up for the smaller axle yokes in the D44.

The zero clearance grease tip isn't needed if the wheel isn't locked and you can turn the axle between caps.

David - Thanks, but if I understand that thing correctly it just relocates the grease fitting. Is that correct? If so, I'd rather not. As Jim said, I may be able to get between the knuckles of the u-joints. Or, find a low profile 90 degree fitting.

Jim - Yes, these huge u-joints limit things quite a bit.

Anyway, I moved on to the brake hoses. Vernon had supplied some nice Inline Tube Powerbraid hoses and I pulled the old hoses thinking I'd use the new ones - after I reacquainted myself with how to remove Ford brake hoses. :nabble_smiley_uh:

Then I realized that the end that goes to the caliper is different. I think they'll work, but what say y'all?

Caliper_End_Of_Hoses.thumb.jpg.174d94a3284e0109de91ab0e11d843f1.jpg

And, the frame ends are different as well. Ford's hoses have a flat on the fitting to go into the D-shaped hole in the bracket. But the new hoses are round. So I'm thinking I'll use the brackets I took off of Huck and make the holes round and use them.

Thoughts?

Frame_Bracket_For_Hoses.thumb.jpg.8d8164606d38f7b9c60782fdb84937b3.jpgFrame_End_Of_Hoses.thumb.jpg.37bfd594eb94cebc4b44fe647dde5ed7.jpg

.... The zero clearance grease tip isn't needed if the wheel isn't locked and you can turn the axle between caps.

I'm not sure how that would work. Sure there'd be quite a bit of clearance over the zerk when the axle is turned 45 deg from where Gary's picture shows. But there's still a U-joint in the way of getting a grease gun in there. Maybe it would work, and I'd certainly try it before the alternative of pulling the axle shaft out to grease the ball joint. But I don't think it'd be easy.

And Gary, yes, I think those hoses will attach to your calipers fine (as long as diameters are correct, I can't tell that from here). And I'd modify the brackets (or use other brackets if available) to fit the round end.

The only thing the D does that I can see is keep it from rotating. The only time it tries to rotate is when you are tightening or loosening that connection. And it's no where near strong enough for that, so you're gonna need to put a wrench on it anyway.

The only thing the D does that I can see is keep it from rotating. The only time it tries to rotate is when you are tightening or loosening that connection. And it's no where near strong enough for that, so you're gonna need to put a wrench on it anyway.

I agree.

.... The zero clearance grease tip isn't needed if the wheel isn't locked and you can turn the axle between caps.

I'm not sure how that would work. Sure there'd be quite a bit of clearance over the zerk when the axle is turned 45 deg from where Gary's picture shows. But there's still a U-joint in the way of getting a grease gun in there. Maybe it would work, and I'd certainly try it before the alternative of pulling the axle shaft out to grease the ball joint. But I don't think it'd be easy.

And Gary, yes, I think those hoses will attach to your calipers fine (as long as diameters are correct, I can't tell that from here). And I'd modify the brackets (or use other brackets if available) to fit the round end.

Bob - Thanks. I hope to get the brake hoses sorted tomorrow. And, I'm hoping I also have the braided rear hose, but I've forgotten.

As for the grease fitting, I'm thinking I'd be better off with these and use the needle:

41kg7ndIfAL.jpg.358dd5fa77fcaac558f3279fe826fc8b.jpg

Or, stay with what I have and see if one of these will fit:

61ZNfX5uswL.thumb.jpg.b974af25131037c4e7e56a9b9c52f6b1.jpg

I agree.

Shaun - Thanks. I was typing when you were posting. Looks like we are in agreement.

The D not only keeps it from rotating, it clocks the banjo on the other end of the hose correctly.

The square banjo on the stock hose keeps it from rotating while being tightened.

Bob - Thanks. I hope to get the brake hoses sorted tomorrow. And, I'm hoping I also have the braided rear hose, but I've forgotten.

As for the grease fitting, I'm thinking I'd be better off with these and use the needle:

Or, stay with what I have and see if one of these will fit:

How are you going to get a needle at it?

Low clearance zerk and a side outlet head on the gun.....

😉

The D not only keeps it from rotating, it clocks the banjo on the other end of the hose correctly.

The square banjo on the stock hose keeps it from rotating while being tightened.

The Inline Tube hoses swivel at the top end, so there's no worry about clocking. (In fact, the swivel is loose enough I wonder how it can be sealed.)

As for greasing the ball joints, I've ordered this Lincoln fitting and will try it. But, one reason I bought it is that it appears to unscrew, so I can take it apart and machine the bottom of it flat.

41csrhB0UcL.jpg.ca7948aecf314853344fcb529d3ced0f.jpg