Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Ford used (uses) ALOT of that wire loom tape in the dash wiring. I've fought my fair share of it, and it's a nightmare to remove, which means it's great stuff. Not so great if you're reusing wiring because it leaves a sticky residue.

Their (Tesa's) interior tape has a fuzzy surface and doesn't handle anything like the engine compartment tape I linked.

It's great stuff for inside the cab, but not for exposure to the elements.

• 3 weeks later...

Their (Tesa's) interior tape has a fuzzy surface and doesn't handle anything like the engine compartment tape I linked.

It's great stuff for inside the cab, but not for exposure to the elements.

When I went by Horrid Fate today to check out their ball joint press ($59.99 down from $89.99)

I see they have their single tank Fortress compressor on sale for ~$150.

šŸ˜– I hate that.99, whether at the gas pump or in this store of perpetual "SALE"s!

Anyway, tank is 6"dia x 16"l.

IMG_20191227_150116.thumb.jpg.27505ffbd93b849de382478e3ee43826.jpg

IMG_20191227_150136.thumb.jpg.cf1eb64a400490cab0671ec9050bd06c.jpg

IMG_20191227_150127.jpg.6a8aea2049dd9d863285f32091f8ced5.jpg

This is very similar to the California Air compressor, and available locally, with a generous return policy.

2.1 SCFM @90 IS 4.2 @ 45, and that's really all you need, to air up.

When I went by Horrid Fate today to check out their ball joint press ($59.99 down from $89.99)

šŸ˜– I hate that.99, whether at the gas pump or in this store of perpetual "SALE"s!

This is very similar to the California Air compressor, and available locally, with a generous return policy.

Jim - Thanks! That thing sure looks like a clone of the California Air one. And, like the CA, it appears to be modular so I can take it apart and use the pieces.

The only possible downside is that we don't know if this one has been run on an inverter like your CA one has. Surely it'll work? The spec's in the owner's manual say it pulls 7 amps when running, which is only 840 watts.

And, while I fully agree with you that 4.2 CFM is adequate, how did you figure that 2.1 SCFM @90 IS 4.2 @ 45? I'm not questioning the results, just trying to figure out how to do that? Is there an equation?

Jim - Thanks! That thing sure looks like a clone of the California Air one. And, like the CA, it appears to be modular so I can take it apart and use the pieces.

The only possible downside is that we don't know if this one has been run on an inverter like your CA one has. Surely it'll work? The spec's in the owner's manual say it pulls 7 amps when running, which is only 840 watts.

And, while I fully agree with you that 4.2 CFM is adequate, how did you figure that 2.1 SCFM @90 IS 4.2 @ 45? I'm not questioning the results, just trying to figure out how to do that? Is there an equation?

Ummm, gas law says if you halve the volume you have twice the pressure, so the inverse would have to be true..

"Air" is obviously a complex blend of gases and moisture (you can compress vapor -steam- but you can't compress water)

Ā 

Ummm, gas law says if you halve the volume you have twice the pressure, so the inverse would have to be true..

"Air" is obviously a complex blend of gases and moisture (you can compress vapor -steam- but you can't compress water)

I guess I forgot that N=PV/RT. :nabble_smiley_blush:

That was, quite literally, 60 years ago.

That compressor is $20 off, with the coupon right now.

I think you could pay online and pickup in store.

I suppose a few keystrokes is worth $20

At least it would pay *for your trip to T-town.....

That compressor is $20 off, with the coupon right now.

I think you could pay online and pickup in store.

I suppose a few keystrokes is worth $20

At least it would pay *for your trip to T-town.....

Was that just the $20 off anything coupon, or specific to that compressor? On line it still shows full price of $169.99.

And, btw, on line it says "Compare to California Air Tools CAT-2010A at $189.00. Save $19.01." They had the CA compressor in their sights.

Was that just the $20 off anything coupon, or specific to that compressor? On line it still shows full price of $169.99.

And, btw, on line it says "Compare to California Air Tools CAT-2010A at $189.00. Save $19.01." They had the CA compressor in their sights.

It is specific to the compressor.

I don't think my 25% off coupon applies to online orders (they're trying to get you into the store, after all)

Let me see.

I may forward you the email.

That might be easiest.

Gary, just a heads up. I see in your build sheet that you replaced a huck bolt with a grade 5 bolt. Those huck bolts are made of spring steel and have lost their tenshion, much like a spring will loose it's arch after loading and unloading over the years.

You may want to replace that Gr5 bolt with a 5/8 frame bolt. That Gr5 bolt wont last long in the frame because it will streach and brake in no time at all. Just a thought.

Gary, just a heads up. I see in your build sheet that you replaced a huck bolt with a grade 5 bolt. Those huck bolts are made of spring steel and have lost their tenshion, much like a spring will loose it's arch after loading and unloading over the years.

You may want to replace that Gr5 bolt with a 5/8 frame bolt. That Gr5 bolt wont last long in the frame because it will streach and brake in no time at all. Just a thought.

Steve - I'm not sure where you saw that I used a G5, but I actually used a G8 bolt. So maybe I need to change my documentation? Please tell me where.

I did this following TSB 97-03-10 which says:

ON HEAVY DUTY VEHICLES, IT MAY BE NECESSARY TO UPGRADE THE REPLACEMENT FASTENER TO A 5/8ā€³ GRADE 8 TORQUE PREVAILING NUT (34991-S2), BOLT (58720-S100) AND TWO (2) WASHERS (44881-S2) TORQUED TO 250 Ā±6.8 Nā€¢m (185 Ā±5 LB-FT).

So, since I consider Big Blue to be heavy duty I did just that instead of going with the 9/16" G8 bolt, nut, and washers.

But what is a "frame bolt"?