Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Apparently I stumped the chumps? :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Anyway, today I installed the engine mount plates and the mounts, which leads to the next question: How do the engine mounts/isolators go on?

Judging by the paint on this one, which suggests it was painted while on the vehicle, the rounded part goes up, as shown. I say that because that "exclamation mark" of black paint above the lower stud looks like it was painted through the slots on the perches. Do I have it on correctly?

Another thing I did today was to helicoil the alternator. Went easily - maybe too easily. The instructions say to drill the part 25/64" (.3906") but the hole was already slightly larger, but not as large as 13/32". I'm guessing that it was 10 mm, which is .3937". But the threads looked pretty good, and the helicoil threaded in with some effort. And, I used red Loctite on it so I don't think it'll let go.

And, thinking of that, here's a shot of the parts I'd PC'd a day or so ago. Bill, what kind of bolt is that in the center bottom? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Another thing I did today was to get the 5/16-16 G8 bolts for the clutch plate. Plus, I painted this thing. And with that I think the engine is just about done.

Yes, you just run the Helicoil tap into the hole, no drilling required.

5/16- 16 seems a weird pitch. :nabble_anim_confused:

It is a weird pitch. Hard to find the right bolts. Finally decided I'd use 5/16-18's and not turn them quite as far. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Today I ticked the box in the To-Do list that says the engine is DONE! :nabble_anim_jump:

Now it is time to turn to the electrical system. But I think I'll take a break for a bit.

Today I ticked the box in the To-Do list that says the engine is DONE! :nabble_anim_jump:

Now it is time to turn to the electrical system. But I think I'll take a break for a bit.

A roll of those little Velcro cable wraps we use in server rooms and underfloor will be your best friend when dealing with that spaghetti monster.

They're cheap on Amazon

Do you use that instead of plastic loom? Didn’t we have a how-to on doing wire harnii recently?

I use convolute on some runs, braided sleeve is good too, where you don't need protection from the elements.

But this is especially good for junctions and wrapping sections (candycane like) inside the plastic sleeve, if that's what you choose to do.

It gives 'body' to the harness, resists most fouling and heat, and allows you to lay it into corners and around obstructions as you like.

I don't recall the discussion, but it would make a great topic in the Tips & Tricks section.:nabble_smiley_good:

Everyone has their own ways of doing things.

I'd imagine Scatch has a lot of experience. But I doubt we all need to worry about our project falling out of the sky.

I use convolute on some runs, braided sleeve is good too, where you don't need protection from the elements.

But this is especially good for junctions and wrapping sections (candycane like) inside the plastic sleeve, if that's what you choose to do.

It gives 'body' to the harness, resists most fouling and heat, and allows you to lay it into corners and around obstructions as you like.

I don't recall the discussion, but it would make a great topic in the Tips & Tricks section.:nabble_smiley_good:

Everyone has their own ways of doing things.

I'd imagine Scatch has a lot of experience. But I doubt we all need to worry about our project falling out of the sky.

Ford used (uses) ALOT of that wire loom tape in the dash wiring. I've fought my fair share of it, and it's a nightmare to remove, which means it's great stuff. Not so great if you're reusing wiring because it leaves a sticky residue.