Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Good idea! I'll give that a try. Thanks. :nabble_smiley_good:

Mid-day report: The D60 is loaded in Blue for its trip to Boomer's garage on Thursday. And cleaning of the shop and parts has started. Most of the tools have been put away, the parts washer is up to temp, the floor's been swept once but needs it a few more times, etc.

Here's a few shots of the loading. First, I have the axle on the shop crane lengthwise thinking I'd have to put it in at an angle. But, as you'll see in the next pic, it can go side-to-side, which would have made for an easier connection on the crane.

Loading_D60.thumb.jpg.76758e237f03a9c42c16d8902b46fb68.jpg

Here's the axle chained to the rear and strapped to the front, and sitting on the pallet:

D60_Loaded_and_Snugged_Down.thumb.jpg.e49791f70adacaa7e9466567474dc322.jpg

Last, here 'tis with the tonneau closed as it is supposed to rain on Thursday. However, I have the vent capped and the ends of the axle taped up, just in case.

D60_Snug_and_Dry.thumb.jpg.a07a8f6c4edc5726f92ea3c867e0d9dd.jpg

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mid-day report: The D60 is loaded in Blue for its trip to Boomer's garage on Thursday. And cleaning of the shop and parts has started. Most of the tools have been put away, the parts washer is up to temp, the floor's been swept once but needs it a few more times, etc.

Here's a few shots of the loading. First, I have the axle on the shop crane lengthwise thinking I'd have to put it in at an angle. But, as you'll see in the next pic, it can go side-to-side, which would have made for an easier connection on the crane.

Here's the axle chained to the rear and strapped to the front, and sitting on the pallet:

Last, here 'tis with the tonneau closed as it is supposed to rain on Thursday. However, I have the vent capped and the ends of the axle taped up, just in case.

Ready to go! :nabble_smiley_happy:

Just another layer of the onion.. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm not sure I'd want to tackle that on the lathe. I've never done any internal thread chasing, only external, so making the adapter would be a pain. However, if I had a spare spindle nut then I could weld it to a tube and make the adapter. But, spindle nuts like the rounded one I have show for over $50, so I think I'll rent the puller. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And, I'm sure I'm going to need all the luck I can get. They look like they've taken up permanent residence in those knuckles. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Not entirely surprisingly This Old Tony popped up on my YouTube feed today.

Single pointing internal acme threads.

Weird how this stuff happens ....

Not entirely surprisingly This Old Tony popped up on my YouTube feed today.

Single pointing internal acme threads.

Weird how this stuff happens ....

Yep, it is ready! And we almost have enough onion layers to have a Bloomin' Onion. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Jim - That's a funny video. Cool. And it shows why I didn't want to attempt that.

I did get all of the parts clean save for the spindles and hubs/rotors. And I got the ball joints out of one knuckle. Had to make a new 3" "receiver" for my ball joint press as well as find some big washers as spacers to push with. Maybe I need to make a spacer as a pusher? I'm not too impressed with the Harbor Freight press kit as so far I've had to make a part or improvise one on every vehicle.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get the hubs and spindles clean and take the rotors in to be turned.

Yep, it is ready! And we almost have enough onion layers to have a Bloomin' Onion. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Jim - That's a funny video. Cool. And it shows why I didn't want to attempt that.

I did get all of the parts clean save for the spindles and hubs/rotors. And I got the ball joints out of one knuckle. Had to make a new 3" "receiver" for my ball joint press as well as find some big washers as spacers to push with. Maybe I need to make a spacer as a pusher? I'm not too impressed with the Harbor Freight press kit as so far I've had to make a part or improvise one on every vehicle.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get the hubs and spindles clean and take the rotors in to be turned.

Got more done today, inc:

• Pulled the wheel bearings and races out of the hubs, removed a can-worth of awful grease, and then washed the hubs

• Pressed out the ball joints on the 2nd knuckle, and washed both knuckles

• Measured the ball joints for my search, and discovered that Vernon had sent the right lower units.

Oh, and I pressed the needle bearings out of the spindles. Yes, pressed them out. See below. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Pulling_Inner_Spindle_Bearings.thumb.jpg.cfc323396895b97fc22be2eec00d1810.jpgRemoving_Inner_Spindle_Bearing.thumb.jpg.5a57bf9f4270365b4eb0027ac976d3bf.jpg

Got more done today, inc:

• Pulled the wheel bearings and races out of the hubs, removed a can-worth of awful grease, and then washed the hubs

• Pressed out the ball joints on the 2nd knuckle, and washed both knuckles

• Measured the ball joints for my search, and discovered that Vernon had sent the right lower units.

Oh, and I pressed the needle bearings out of the spindles. Yes, pressed them out. See below. :nabble_smiley_evil:

We spent the morning in T-Town. Janey had an eye checkup and got a good report. Then to breakfast and then to Utica Square, where she shopped and I sat at Starbucks and worked on my parts list of u-joints, ball joints, tie rod ends, and bearings to order. (See the spreadsheet in Post #1, which always reflects where I am with the planning.)

And along the way I found that Moog has a steering damper kit for the '95 F350. And that got me to wondering about installing a damper. What are your thoughts?

Then we went to Boom's Garage and dropped off the D60. Here's a pic of Chris, with the D60 in the foreground, and the Land Rover he's working on for a customer. He figures it'll be 2 - 3 weeks on the D60 rebuild, and it is a complete rebuild on the diff, inc all new bearings, seals, and gears plus the locker. And, it'll carry a warranty.

D60_At_Booms_Garage.thumb.jpg.5c479a5939f094fc9d512b5a970d823c.jpg

.... And along the way I found that Moog has a steering damper kit for the '95 F350. And that got me to wondering about installing a damper. What are your thoughts?....

I've generally heard that steering dampers only mask other problems (and they don't always even do that well). So I've never been a huge proponent. I can't say for sure that I've never owned a vehicle that didn't have a factory damper, but can't think of one that's had one and I know I've never put one on a vehicle.

I guess I could see some potential benefit to it if you were running really big tires or something. But with essentially stock size F-250/F-350 tires and all new steering linkage I don't think you'll need it.

.... And along the way I found that Moog has a steering damper kit for the '95 F350. And that got me to wondering about installing a damper. What are your thoughts?....
I've generally heard that steering dampers only mask other problems (and they don't always even do that well). So I've never been a huge proponent. I can't say for sure that I've never owned a vehicle that didn't have a factory damper, but can't think of one that's had one and I know I've never put one on a vehicle.I guess I could see some potential benefit to it if you were running really big tires or something. But with essentially stock size F-250/F-350 tires and all new steering linkage I don't think you'll need it.
I'm not sure what you meant by "I can't say for sure that I've never owned a vehicle that didn't have a factory damper, but can't think of one that's had one and I know I've never put one on a vehicle." Is there maybe one too many negatives? Did you mean to say "I can't say for sure that I've never owned a vehicle that had a factory damper...."?

Otherwise, I think we are in agreement that they mask the problems, and with all new components I shouldn't have any thereof.

We spent the morning in T-Town. Janey had an eye checkup and got a good report. Then to breakfast and then to Utica Square, where she shopped and I sat at Starbucks and worked on my parts list of u-joints, ball joints, tie rod ends, and bearings to order. (See the spreadsheet in Post #1, which always reflects where I am with the planning.)

And along the way I found that Moog has a steering damper kit for the '95 F350. And that got me to wondering about installing a damper. What are your thoughts?

Then we went to Boom's Garage and dropped off the D60. Here's a pic of Chris, with the D60 in the foreground, and the Land Rover he's working on for a customer. He figures it'll be 2 - 3 weeks on the D60 rebuild, and it is a complete rebuild on the diff, inc all new bearings, seals, and gears plus the locker. And, it'll carry a warranty.

I've only ever used a steering damper on a motorcycle.

I suppose anything with a frame, steering angle, unsprung weight and a given amount of adhesion that is moving over a surface, rough or smooth will have resonance at some speed.

Sometimes you can push through it and it goes away. Sometimes it pushes back and gets more violent.

Anyway, a steering damper lowers the frequency of the system so smooth inputs are accommodated and quick spikes are not able to effect it. But it also feels heavier, or slower.

Think of it like a smoothing capacitor.