Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

It's exasperating, isn't it???? 😡

Yes, it certainly is! I'd not thought that there would be a pressure plate that wouldn't fit either flywheel. And I'd not realized that there's no way, at least that I can find, to ensure that the parts you are ordering will work together. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I just called Carolina Clutch and, as expected, I got voice mail. But it said to leave a message and they'd return the call or to send an email as they monitor it 24x7. So I did both, with the email shown below. We shall see.

I have a Ford 460 w/a ZF5 and needed a new clutch. Your tech said since the engine isn't stock I need the HD version, so I ordered your clutch kit 07-910 from Amazon. But, when it came in it wouldn't bolt to my flywheel as the pressure plate has 4 pair of bolts and my flywheel has 3 pair. So I ordered your LFW109 flywheel, again from Amazon. But the pressure plate won't bolt to this flywheel either - pic attached.

Obviously I need to return one or the other. Or both? But which? And, what do I replace it/them with? Help!

Gary

Well, I was wrong. Apparently Carolina Clutch doesn't make LuK components. They sell them. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Got a note from them that I need to either contact LuK or Amazon. And I can't figure out how to contact LuK. So if any of you know please tell me. And/or, if you know another way to figure out what LuK parts go together tell me that as well.

I ask because I have little hope that Amazon is going to know what the problem is. So they'll probably say return this or return that. But I don't know what to order to replace this or that. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Well, I was wrong. Apparently Carolina Clutch doesn't make LuK components. They sell them. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Got a note from them that I need to either contact LuK or Amazon. And I can't figure out how to contact LuK. So if any of you know please tell me. And/or, if you know another way to figure out what LuK parts go together tell me that as well.

I ask because I have little hope that Amazon is going to know what the problem is. So they'll probably say return this or return that. But I don't know what to order to replace this or that. :nabble_smiley_cry:

You should keep them both and have the flywheel drilled to the correct pattern.

I don't know how big a rotary table you have for your mill, but DIY if you can.

I thought about drilling the old flywheel but decided that it would be better to get one already drilled properly. So now, having paid $110 for one that isn't drilled correctly, if I'm going to drill something I'll drill the old one.

But what I'd rather do is to buy a new clutch and flywheel that match. So I'm perusing catalogs/websites..... :nabble_anim_working:

I thought about drilling the old flywheel but decided that it would be better to get one already drilled properly. So now, having paid $110 for one that isn't drilled correctly, if I'm going to drill something I'll drill the old one.

But what I'd rather do is to buy a new clutch and flywheel that match. So I'm perusing catalogs/websites..... :nabble_anim_working:

So you didn't buy the LuK HD kit?

MPN: 07-092 167715

ASIN: B06Y187N92

We went through a similar deal on a 1986 F350 wrecker. It had a 10 1/2" I believe clutch and since we put and older 460 in it, in addition have to get it balanced the owner elected to order a flywheel for a 429 CJ, which took a nice 11 1/4" I think clutch, bolts were still wrong so we took it to a machine shop and said "fix it", worked great until the clutch fork pivot snapped off and had to be replaced.

I'm looking at Rock Auto (I know you hate them) and they show LUK (German BTW) PN 07092 for the clutch kit for a 1995 460 in an F350 and it shows in the buyers guide as 1987-1997. The Perfection MU20011A shows only fitting 1993-1997. The Valeo 53112001 also only shows 1993-1997.

So you didn't buy the LuK HD kit?

MPN: 07-092 167715

ASIN: B06Y187N92

Bill - You had too much pressure on the clutch fork?

Jim - No, I ordered clutch kit 07-910 and flywheel LFW109. The pages below are directly from the LuK catalog that I downloaded. And I have exactly what it says I should have.

So, is there something I can be doing incorrectly in placing the pressure plate on the flywheel? Did they ship me the wrong part in the right box? :nabble_anim_confused:

LuK_Catalog_Pg_110.thumb.jpg.d9dd9f98ab4e31d7a3f181079be2fa1b.jpg

LuK_Catalog_Pg_111.thumb.jpg.1ba35a349cea434e7d0fa48302bc50e7.jpg

Jim - No, I ordered clutch kit 07-910 and flywheel LFW109. The pages below are directly from the LuK catalog that I downloaded. And I have exactly what it says I should have.

So, is there something I can be doing incorrectly in placing the pressure plate on the flywheel? Did they ship me the wrong part in the right box? :nabble_anim_confused:

Don't know, but the replacement pivot was a lot beefier and required a new fork.

Did you get the new master and slave as well?

What is LB172 on page 389?

And why would you have to change master & slave because of a flywheel?

I could understand the pressure plate, but the flywheel is just there, the hydraulic clutch is self adjusting.

Did you get the new master and slave as well?

What is LB172 on page 389?

And why would you have to change master & slave because of a flywheel?

I could understand the pressure plate, but the flywheel is just there, the hydraulic clutch is self adjusting.

No, I didn't get the new master/slave. Here's what LB172 says:

LB172 NO RELEASE

Vehicles: 1993-95 7.3- and 7.5-liter Ford F250,

F350 and F450 Super Duty

Referenced vehicles were prone to no release, caused

by a defective hydraulic release system. To eliminate

leaks that may cause this condition, install an upgraded

master cylinder and slave cylinder. These components

must be installed together. Contact your distributor for

specific part numbers. A new tube kit, Ford part #F5TZ-

7A512-A, and pedal pivot shaft lever, Ford part#E7T2-

7A554-A, must be used with the upgraded parts.

For additional information, refer to Ford bulletin #95-4-9.

Big Blue hasn't had any leaks so I don't think that's going to be a problem. But I can replace the master/slave later if needed - once I get a kit that will bolt together. :nabble_smiley_cry: