Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Good to know! Thanks. My new 86 tanks were already installed when my mechanic realized he had misplaced one of my 86 vent tubes so he couldn’t remove those collars without dropping both tanks again so I think he just cut off the 87 filler hose to make it work but I’ll verify and report back. Perhaps either modification results in an acceptable solution. I was initially concerned that with the hose being shorter and possibly not deep into the tank that it would allow the tank to over fill before the fuel level was at the exit of the filler hose and created enough back pressure to shut off the pump before the fuel got up into the filler neck. But then I realized with the original system, the filler hose didn’t go into the tank at all and it still kicked off the pump just fine. Too fine actually if the vent tubes were crushed, kinked, or out of position.

I think the 'fill through the middle' system vastly improved the filling situation for 1987.

But if someone kinks the fill hose when they drop the tank, nothing is going to help them short of doing it over.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just realized I didn't have the wiring diagram for the Code Alarm security system in the folder.

Hey Gary, how is it going with Big Blue’s jobs compilation (repository? or encyclopedia ? :nabble_smiley_evil:).

I was looking at some pictures of Big Brother’s renovation, and you made me realize that such documentation would be interesting to compile, if not for the posterity at least to help my own aging memory.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Just realized I didn't have the wiring diagram for the Code Alarm security system in the folder.

Hey Gary, how is it going with Big Blue’s jobs compilation (repository? or encyclopedia ? :nabble_smiley_evil:).

I was looking at some pictures of Big Brother’s renovation, and you made me realize that such documentation would be interesting to compile, if not for the posterity at least to help my own aging memory.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Not really well, Jeff. I have several documents that show various things. And I've printed the documents and have them in the folder called Big Blue's Documentation that goes with the truck. But there are several holes in the documentation. And I realize that the printouts don't have the name of the document in them so I can't easily get back to them. Plus, they aren't all in the same place on my OneDrive.

Holes include:

• Fuel Pump Wiring: As posted in the discussion of how to wire the AFR meter, I have a diagram that is a combination of the 1996 EVTM and the 1985 EVTM. It shows how the fuel pumps are wired, but I don't have that in the folder yet, partially because it ought to be at least 11 x 17" or printed on two pages.

• Fuel Gauge Wiring: And while digging the fuel pump wiring diagram out I remembered that there's a relay in the fuel gauge wiring that isn't shown in the EVTM. Nor is the MeterMatch shown. The relay is documented but that isn't in the folder, and the MeterMatch wiring isn't documented.

• Key On Relay: If I do what Jim suggested, and I probably will, I'll need to revise the documentation to show the "Key On" relay as the "Engine On" relay and change the trigger wire from the LG/R key-on signal to the W/Bk stator signal. Plus change where the AFR meter gets its power in the other documents.

• Security System: I also need to document how the Code Alarm system is implemented. I have a schematic that shows that but it is buried in a thread and I need to print it and put it in the binder.

• Front/Rear Cameras: The Pormido system isn't complex, but I should draw it up and put it in the binder.

Does that answer the question?

Not really well, Jeff. I have several documents that show various things. And I've printed the documents and have them in the folder called Big Blue's Documentation that goes with the truck. But there are several holes in the documentation. And I realize that the printouts don't have the name of the document in them so I can't easily get back to them. Plus, they aren't all in the same place on my OneDrive.

Holes include:

• Fuel Pump Wiring: As posted in the discussion of how to wire the AFR meter, I have a diagram that is a combination of the 1996 EVTM and the 1985 EVTM. It shows how the fuel pumps are wired, but I don't have that in the folder yet, partially because it ought to be at least 11 x 17" or printed on two pages.

• Fuel Gauge Wiring: And while digging the fuel pump wiring diagram out I remembered that there's a relay in the fuel gauge wiring that isn't shown in the EVTM. Nor is the MeterMatch shown. The relay is documented but that isn't in the folder, and the MeterMatch wiring isn't documented.

• Key On Relay: If I do what Jim suggested, and I probably will, I'll need to revise the documentation to show the "Key On" relay as the "Engine On" relay and change the trigger wire from the LG/R key-on signal to the W/Bk stator signal. Plus change where the AFR meter gets its power in the other documents.

• Security System: I also need to document how the Code Alarm system is implemented. I have a schematic that shows that but it is buried in a thread and I need to print it and put it in the binder.

• Front/Rear Cameras: The Pormido system isn't complex, but I should draw it up and put it in the binder.

Does that answer the question?

Yes Sir!

I was evaluating roughly what such catalog would be for Big Brother, and I know that I haven't done a tenth of what you accomplished with Big Blue.

Don't know why :nabble_smiley_whistling:, but I suspected that this tremendous job was still a working progress.

BTW, when does Big Blue leave for his Utah trip?

Yes Sir!

I was evaluating roughly what such catalog would be for Big Brother, and I know that I haven't done a tenth of what you accomplished with Big Blue.

Don't know why :nabble_smiley_whistling:, but I suspected that this tremendous job was still a working progress.

BTW, when does Big Blue leave for his Utah trip?

Big Blue leaves about the end of May for Utah.

And yes, documenting it all is a big undertaking. Fortunately I have the forum and the various threads I can go back to. And in those threads are the many documents I've created as I didn't do much of anything w/o documenting it in some way.

I have these documents embedded in the first post of this thread, and I've updated them as the project has grown:

• Big Blue's Overview: This gives, as the name implies, an overview of what the plan was and what was done - in three pages instead of the 368 pages in the thread.

• Big Blue's Spec's: This is a bullet list of what was done in a format that I've printed and display at shows.

• Big Blue's Parts List: The idea here is to have a list of parts that are on the truck so we don't have to go searching in the thread to find out what fluid is used in the power steering/brake system, spark plugs, bearings, etc.

• Charging & Power Distribution System Schematic: Shows at a high level what the major components are, but has no detail for the two power distribution boxes.

• Passenger's Side Power Distribution Box: Details the wiring within that PDB, including relays & fuses, and will have to change when I use the stator connection to trigger the relay that is no called Key On and will then be Engine On. And it'll show a feed to the Innovate AFR gauge as well as the voltmeter.

• Driver's Side Power Distribution Box: Ditto the PS side, but this is mainly the fuses & relays for the EFI system.

• SWITCHES ABOVE RADIO - "MISSION CONTROL": Schematic for those switches.

• ECU Wiring & Pinouts: Includes a description of the circuit, the wire colors, and the pin it goes to on the ECU.

• Code Alarm CA115E alarm system: Has all of the wires listed and how used, but no schematic, which might be helpful.

And, as discussed, more documentation is needed. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Big Blue leaves about the end of May for Utah.

And yes, documenting it all is a big undertaking. Fortunately I have the forum and the various threads I can go back to. And in those threads are the many documents I've created as I didn't do much of anything w/o documenting it in some way.

I have these documents embedded in the first post of this thread, and I've updated them as the project has grown:

• Big Blue's Overview: This gives, as the name implies, an overview of what the plan was and what was done - in three pages instead of the 368 pages in the thread.

• Big Blue's Spec's: This is a bullet list of what was done in a format that I've printed and display at shows.

• Big Blue's Parts List: The idea here is to have a list of parts that are on the truck so we don't have to go searching in the thread to find out what fluid is used in the power steering/brake system, spark plugs, bearings, etc.

• Charging & Power Distribution System Schematic: Shows at a high level what the major components are, but has no detail for the two power distribution boxes.

• Passenger's Side Power Distribution Box: Details the wiring within that PDB, including relays & fuses, and will have to change when I use the stator connection to trigger the relay that is no called Key On and will then be Engine On. And it'll show a feed to the Innovate AFR gauge as well as the voltmeter.

• Driver's Side Power Distribution Box: Ditto the PS side, but this is mainly the fuses & relays for the EFI system.

• SWITCHES ABOVE RADIO - "MISSION CONTROL": Schematic for those switches.

• ECU Wiring & Pinouts: Includes a description of the circuit, the wire colors, and the pin it goes to on the ECU.

• Code Alarm CA115E alarm system: Has all of the wires listed and how used, but no schematic, which might be helpful.

And, as discussed, more documentation is needed. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Update on two things.

First, I've realized now that the "old" Sony DSX-GS80 had a problem with the clock as well as the BT. Turned this one on today to make sure that the remote I have in the truck works it (it does) and noticed that the time is right. They have a mode where they are to get the time off the airwaves, RDS mode, and that rarely worked on the old one, but appears to be working well on the new one.

Then I turned to the O2 sensor for the AFR meter. Pulled the old one and tried to put the heat sink, shown below, in and found that the threads of the bung where carboned up. So I ran a tap through them and then put the heat sink in. The divot you can see in the flat of the hex must point upstream, but it pointed downstream. So I checked my supply of copper washers and none were that big. Went to the parts stores and 2 of the 3 were closed and the 3rd, O'Reilly's, didn't have anything close.

What I need is 18MM ID & 24MM OD, and that's hard to find. But I found this MuHize Copper Washers kit from Amazon has 15 of them in it. It'll be here on Wednesday so I guess I'll start on the wiring in the interim.

51buWX4S8cL.jpg.26e262e61a96ef51223269531dd5d946.jpg

They have a mode where they are to get the time off the airwaves, RDS mode, and that rarely worked on the old one, but appears to be working well on the new one.

Cool, so radio is checked in the list!

Pulled the old one and tried to put the heat sink, shown below […]

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n152486/51buWX4S8cL.jpg

Gary, not sure I understand, this is what you call the “heat sink”?

They have a mode where they are to get the time off the airwaves, RDS mode, and that rarely worked on the old one, but appears to be working well on the new one.

Cool, so radio is checked in the list!

Pulled the old one and tried to put the heat sink, shown below […]

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n152486/51buWX4S8cL.jpg

Gary, not sure I understand, this is what you call the “heat sink”?

Yes, the radio is checked off the list.

The heat sink is that thing in the picture, and it screws into the exhaust and then the O2 sensor screws into it. There's a hole in it that is to face upstream into the exhaust flow, and then a hole in the bottom of it where the exhaust will exit.

Innovate calls it HBX-1: HEAT-SINK BUNG EXTENDER, HIGH HEAT APPLICATIONS. The writeup says:

The Bosch LSU4.2 and LSU4.9 wide-band O2 sensors (shipped standard with Innovate Motorsport products) are rated to operate at an exhaust gas temperature of < 1,700 ºF (930 ºC), and a sensor housing temperature of < 1,058 ºF (570 ºC) measured at the hex, for maximum accuracy and control. When either of these operating temperature ranges is exceeded, the sensor can no longer be accurately controlled. Further, operating at or above these temperatures for any length of time can significantly reduce the life expectancy of the sensor. Innovate Motorsports products are designed to display an error message under these conditions (08- Sensor Timing Error) rather than provide inaccurate readings. For some turbo vehicles, rotary engines, and other specialty setups, this error message can be encountered with annoying frequency due to operating conditions specific to those engine types and configurations. This precision machined part is engineered to address applications generating excessive heat in the O2 sensor by utilizing a specialty heat sink design which pulls the sensor futher out of the exhaust stream while maintaining correct flow of exhaust gasses to the sensor for accurate readings.

That implies that the turbo applications are the ones to worry about, but the guy at Innovate seemed to think that Big Blue might have a problem as well, and suggested that the heat sink could help.

The heat sink is that thing in the picture, and it screws into the exhaust and then the O2 sensor screws into it.

Thanks!

:nabble_smiley_good:

Time for an update. On Monday (this is Friday) I realized that the connection to power for the AFR gauge is up behind the instrument cluster. So I got the dash pretty well apart, including removing the AFR gauge and clutch bypass switch bezel from the instrument bezel. And I got the clutch bypass switch module unwired and removed as someone hadn't put a connector on it. :nabble_smiley_sad:

By then it was lunch time and I went in and found that Janey wasn't feeling well. Long story short, I rushed her to the ER and she had stents put in each of the three main arteries to the heart. She got to come home yesterday afternoon and we are slowly starting to figure out what is next, but we know that she has two months of 3 therapy sessions each week plus other doctors to visit, so things are going to be busy for a while.

I mention that to explain why there hasn't been any progress on this and may not be for a while. But, I am thinking about it during the down time. And I've now come around to Jim's suggestion of using the R/O wire running to the voltmeter as the power source for the AFR gauge. The Wire Barn calculator says that even 20 gauge wire is adequate for the 3A draw of the Innovate gauge to 9' with just a 2% drop, and I think that wire is surely at least that big and the run is probably shorter than that. So since I'll be right there with the dash apart I'll probably use that wire to simplify things.