Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, on the back of the base, probably 6" OD. I also have 2 of the Sears ones, allegedly fully automatic, more like fully a royal pain (I think they must be made by Lucas).

I have a Sears charger from the '80's w/70A boost, 12V 2 & 10A automatic and 6V 2A.

It works great, but is affected by bitter cold.

As for Joe Lucas, he was not wrong about + ground but things like Zener diodes and switches were definitely sub-par.

The old trope about triumph/BSA having a 3-positon light switch (Dim, Flicker & Off) was not off-base! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I have a Sears charger from the '80's w/70A boost, 12V 2 & 10A automatic and 6V 2A.

It works great, but is affected by bitter cold.

As for Joe Lucas, he was not wrong about + ground but things like Zener diodes and switches were definitely sub-par.

The old trope about triumph/BSA having a 3-positon light switch (Dim, Flicker & Off) was not off-base! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Just plugged the HVAC blower back in and, as expected, there was no change to the voltage while charging in the 2A mode. Still sitting at 13.3 volts and pulling ~.5A, which I suspect is the coil current for the CH smart battery isolator, which is pulled in.

I can't think of what could cause the voltage to have come up about .6v unless it was taking the system to almost 15V and back down several times. (I doubt that it is due to any temp changes in the shop as it is pretty much constant.)

Anyway, back to the documentation so I can get the blower motor relays in... :nabble_smiley_super:

Speaking of road trips, this popped up on my "memories" yesterday from 2017. That's the road trip that started it all.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n144773/Better_Picking_Up_Big_Blue.jpg

Wish you had a bigger trailer so you could have picked mine up too. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Speaking of road trips, this popped up on my "memories" yesterday from 2017. That's the road trip that started it all.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n144773/Better_Picking_Up_Big_Blue.jpg

Wish you had a bigger trailer so you could have picked mine up too. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I wish. But that F150 might not have liked it. Still, it has a 12k tow rating, so...

I wish. But that F150 might not have liked it. Still, it has a 12k tow rating, so...

Today I got the relays for the HVAC blower done and tested. It made a big difference across all of the speeds, but the biggest change was on High. The difference was night and day, and you can see the whole discussion in the thread called Big Blue's HVAC Blower Issues. However, if you just want to see the voltage differences go to this post. But basically the voltage going to the motor in High is up 50%.

And with that done I started the truck and let it warm up to both test the cooling system connections and to see if the system is actually full. That's because I replaced the 180F thermostat with a 195F 'stat and hadn't started the truck since. There were no leaks and when the system is cool, tomorrow morning, I'll top it off.

Also, as mentioned elsewhere, yesterday we drove to Dallas with the intention of picking up some blue captain's chairs for Big Blue. But they weren't quite what I was looking for so I didn't buy them. So today I found a guy in Tulsa that does automotive upholstery, so next week I'm going to take the seats Chad/Little Beefy gave me down to him and see what it would cost.

And the snippet below is from the 1985 Bronco brochure showing what the seats would have looked like, and that's what I'm to ask him to price.

Blue_Bucket_Seat_From_Bronco_Brochure.thumb.jpg.882af15268278134acc3a05479b5a4b9.jpg

[…] And the snippet below is from the 1985 Bronco brochure showing what the seats would have looked like, and that's what I'm to ask him to price.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n145250/Blue_Bucket_Seat_From_Bronco_Brochure.jpg

Would be really nice!

Hoping for you that it will work.

:nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

[…] And the snippet below is from the 1985 Bronco brochure showing what the seats would have looked like, and that's what I'm to ask him to price.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n145250/Blue_Bucket_Seat_From_Bronco_Brochure.jpg

Would be really nice!

Hoping for you that it will work.

:nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Thanks, Jeff. Janey and I've talked about it and believe that vinyl seats would be more appropriate for Big Blue than velour. More functional, easy to clean when going offroad and getting dirty, and less "up market". So I'm going to see if he has a blue that would be a close match.

Hoping to go Tuesday and take Big Blue to show him what I have and ask that the new ones be similarly comfortable. After all, we sit long hours in them.