Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Bob - Thanks, but you do remember that I have an EFI system, not a carb. Right? So I’m quite limited on the options.

But I agree that the bow wave could easily reach the middle of the grille, which is where the opening is. So I’m looking for a way to raise that temporarily, like a snorkel that goes through the grille and up to above the top of the grille.

I hope to get out to the shop tomorrow morn and see if that’s even a possibility. Maybe I’m all wet. :nabble_smiley_evil:

When I still had a carburetor on Darth, I had him in water up to the headlights after Floyd came through.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I still had a carburetor on Darth, I had him in water up to the headlights after Floyd came through.

Yep, I think BB would go that deep if it wasn't for the air intake.

If I remember correctly there was one version of the air intake that ended on top of the radiator support. Right? Do you remember what engines used it? That would at least move the intake up several inches.

Bob - Thanks, but you do remember that I have an EFI system, not a carb. Right? So I’m quite limited on the options....
I guess that had slipped my mind :nabble_smiley_blush:
Easy to do. How many 1985 trucks have 1996 EFI on them? Just two that I know of. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Ok, a bit of Googling found the video below, and this guy does exactly the opposite of what I think I want to do. He goes from having the intake come from between the hood and radiator support to what I have - the inlet through the radiator support.

I'll get out to the shop in a bit, after I finish the 2nd cup of Joe, and measure how much difference that would make. But I think it might be adequate, and should be a lot easier than what I was thinking about. And he seems to think that only the 460's and IDI's got that piece of tubing, so I should be able to find it on 302's and 351W's.

Thoughts?

Easy to do. How many 1985 trucks have 1996 EFI on them? Just two that I know of. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Ok, a bit of Googling found the video below, and this guy does exactly the opposite of what I think I want to do. He goes from having the intake come from between the hood and radiator support to what I have - the inlet through the radiator support.

I'll get out to the shop in a bit, after I finish the 2nd cup of Joe, and measure how much difference that would make. But I think it might be adequate, and should be a lot easier than what I was thinking about. And he seems to think that only the 460's and IDI's got that piece of tubing, so I should be able to find it on 302's and 351W's.

Thoughts?

Morning, Gary! Can't answer your question but will comment about the video. I like this guy's stuff, as I've watched many of his videos. He's very informative and pretty innovative....does a great job with his videos!

Morning, Gary! Can't answer your question but will comment about the video. I like this guy's stuff, as I've watched many of his videos. He's very informative and pretty innovative....does a great job with his videos!

Morning, John. And yes, that guy did a good job of explaining. So I'm hoping that I can come up with a higher air inlet for Big Blue using the Windsor inlet tubing. However, I'm not sure that is going to work on a 460 w/o some fabrication.

First, here's a shot showing the current inlet, in the red oval, and that it is ~12" below the top of the grille/hood opening. So going with the Windsor inlet tube would be a lot better.

Present_Air_Inlet_To_Future.thumb.jpg.b99bf293c99f6cd0a3afd7c6d24d69f7.jpg

But, I think I see one reason Ford didn't use that tube on the 460's - there's not much room behind the radiator to the A/C compressor. Without having the parts in my hands I don't know for sure, but I'm betting that I'll have to do some cutting and gluing to get the tube to make the turn and go down between the shroud and the compressor, make a turn to the right, and then make a turn to the back to join the 460's inlet tube.

Fortunately I have an extra 460 inlet tube - one that I cut off like he suggested but then decided I wanted the lip to keep bugs and rain out. So I may be able to use that and a Windsor tube to create something that will snake through there. Unfortunately it'll have several turns in it so it won't flow as well as the existing one. And it won't be getting as cool of air, either. But getting the inlet up 12" will be a big help.

Thoughts?

Vertical_View_For_New_Air_Inlet.thumb.jpg.4294f4348ff0bc70be3ab8e68315b190.jpgLittle_Clearance_For_Air_Inlet.thumb.jpg.71d785aa60004bf8c5dd9756e345b4cc.jpg

Morning, John. And yes, that guy did a good job of explaining. So I'm hoping that I can come up with a higher air inlet for Big Blue using the Windsor inlet tubing. However, I'm not sure that is going to work on a 460 w/o some fabrication.

First, here's a shot showing the current inlet, in the red oval, and that it is ~12" below the top of the grille/hood opening. So going with the Windsor inlet tube would be a lot better.

But, I think I see one reason Ford didn't use that tube on the 460's - there's not much room behind the radiator to the A/C compressor. Without having the parts in my hands I don't know for sure, but I'm betting that I'll have to do some cutting and gluing to get the tube to make the turn and go down between the shroud and the compressor, make a turn to the right, and then make a turn to the back to join the 460's inlet tube.

Fortunately I have an extra 460 inlet tube - one that I cut off like he suggested but then decided I wanted the lip to keep bugs and rain out. So I may be able to use that and a Windsor tube to create something that will snake through there. Unfortunately it'll have several turns in it so it won't flow as well as the existing one. And it won't be getting as cool of air, either. But getting the inlet up 12" will be a big help.

Thoughts?

I've started a new thread called Snorkel For Big Blue? 'cause I'm looking for as much input as possible. I'm not sure I really want a snorkel, but I'd like to know if they are available before deciding, and I cannot find one myself.

Beyond a true snorkel I think I'll probably try adapting the Windsor tube. Moving the bottom of the inlet up from 36" to 48" off the ground would be a big improvement.

The only other option I've thought of is to cut a section out of the grille and put a mini-snorkel in front. I'm not so worried about the grille as the one that is on was hacked up by :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:, but it would look ghetto beyond words. :nabble_face-with-open-mouth-vomiting-23x23_orig:

Anyone have better ideas?

I've started a new thread called Snorkel For Big Blue? 'cause I'm looking for as much input as possible. I'm not sure I really want a snorkel, but I'd like to know if they are available before deciding, and I cannot find one myself.

Beyond a true snorkel I think I'll probably try adapting the Windsor tube. Moving the bottom of the inlet up from 36" to 48" off the ground would be a big improvement.

The only other option I've thought of is to cut a section out of the grille and put a mini-snorkel in front. I'm not so worried about the grille as the one that is on was hacked up by :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:, but it would look ghetto beyond words. :nabble_face-with-open-mouth-vomiting-23x23_orig:

Anyone have better ideas?

What about doing something temporary, just for the water crossing? It's still a little cold for me to go look under the hood on my 460, but what would happen if you took the cover off the air cleaner? And maybe stuffed a plastic bag into the air intake in the grill? That would raise your air inlet quite a bit, and get it in what might be a drier location.

If that's a bad idea, maybe it will lead you to a better one.

What about doing something temporary, just for the water crossing? It's still a little cold for me to go look under the hood on my 460, but what would happen if you took the cover off the air cleaner? And maybe stuffed a plastic bag into the air intake in the grill? That would raise your air inlet quite a bit, and get it in what might be a drier location.

If that's a bad idea, maybe it will lead you to a better one.

That’s not such a bad idea. I have a spare air filter cover and I could put holes in it to ensure the filter stays in place.

But I wonder if there’s more dust in the engine compartment than our ahead of the radiator? The filter should catch it, but…

Still, wouldn’t the inlet on top of the radiator support be the best solution? No need to change out the filter cover & stuff a bag in the inlet. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

That’s not such a bad idea. I have a spare air filter cover and I could put holes in it to ensure the filter stays in place.

But I wonder if there’s more dust in the engine compartment than our ahead of the radiator? The filter should catch it, but…

Still, wouldn’t the inlet on top of the radiator support be the best solution? No need to change out the filter cover & stuff a bag in the inlet. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

I was thinking to not worry about an air filter as you are driving across a river. You won't be kicking up any dust there, and you would stop on the other side and put it back together.

Something more permanent that you can drive the entire trail with might be better. But if it requires making any permanent modifications that you don't want to make maybe it isn't.

And sorry, I'm not following all of the thoughts completely here, but is the thought to still be getting the inlet air through the grill? While that's a great place to find the coolest, cleanest air, in a river crossing it's not necessarily the best place for the driest. The bow wave can go all the way up and over the top of the hood. Higher in the grill is better than lower in the grill, but somewhere else might be better. Right behind the core support wouldn't be my first choice, but it's more protected than the grill.