Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I do have a pair of jumper cables with a connector that fits the one going to the winch. And I have one of those power packs, and while it is in the 2015 truck I'll get it for tomorrow - thanks for reminding me. :nabble_smiley_good:

As it turns out, that battery pack was already in Big Blue, hooked up to an inverter you remember such that whenever the truck runs the pack gets charged. It says it is charged but I put it on charge anyway.

I think I'm ready to go... :nabble_smiley_super:

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As it turns out, that battery pack was already in Big Blue, hooked up to an inverter you remember such that whenever the truck runs the pack gets charged. It says it is charged but I put it on charge anyway.

I think I'm ready to go... :nabble_smiley_super:

I don't know which pack you have but that inverter should be well up to the task.

I never like to keep mine topped up (more like 85%)

I don't know which pack you have but that inverter should be well up to the task.

I never like to keep mine topped up (more like 85%)

Mine is an old Stanley and only has 4 lights showing amount of charge, so I can't really tell how high the charge is. But it was somewhere in the above 76% level, enough to light it up blue.

Mine is an old Stanley and only has 4 lights showing amount of charge, so I can't really tell how high the charge is. But it was somewhere in the above 76% level, enough to light it up blue.

Should work fine then! :nabble_smiley_good:

I got the GOOLOO GT3000 about a year ago when they introduced their GT4000 and the price of this one (amazingly!) cratered below $100. 😳

I still don't know how to work all the display and settings but I can turn it on set it for boost or continuous output. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

3,000A peak, 600A start, 22.8Ah, 84.4Wh, 100w via usb-C, 15V 10A out continuous, 0-100% charged in under an hour.

Should work fine then! :nabble_smiley_good:

I got the GOOLOO GT3000 about a year ago when they introduced their GT4000 and the price of this one (amazingly!) cratered below $100. 😳

I still don't know how to work all the display and settings but I can turn it on set it for boost or continuous output. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

3,000A peak, 600A start, 22.8Ah, 84.4Wh, 100w via usb-C, 15V 10A out continuous, 0-100% charged in under an hour.

That's a serious booster. Mine is several years old and probably doesn't have 1/10th that power, although I don't know its specs. However, it might be enough to power the vehicle back to the shop. Or, maybe I can put enough power in the Expedition's own battery with the 3G on BB to get me there. However, I'll have to keep pushing the "parallel" button in Mission Control to keep the aux battery connected to the main battery and, therefore, the alternator since the connector we discussed is attached to the aux battery.

Probably easier would be to use a different set of cables to go from the main battery. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

That's a serious booster. Mine is several years old and probably doesn't have 1/10th that power, although I don't know its specs. However, it might be enough to power the vehicle back to the shop. Or, maybe I can put enough power in the Expedition's own battery with the 3G on BB to get me there. However, I'll have to keep pushing the "parallel" button in Mission Control to keep the aux battery connected to the main battery and, therefore, the alternator since the connector we discussed is attached to the aux battery.

Probably easier would be to use a different set of cables to go from the main battery. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

I'm sure your booster still puts out as much as the battery in that Expedition should.

I hope it's just a crap reman alternator and not a sign of deeper problems with the vehicle.

Hadn't realized that your auxiliary battery would not stay connected to the 3G if it was being pulled down by the winch (or another vehicle)

I'd held off getting any kind of power pack for a long time but this deal was too good to let pass.

When pulling up those specs I saw one on eBay for $99 + $9 shipping

Edit: another thing I like about it is that you can back feed through the cigarette lighter.

(that would probably be enough for the ignition in a situation like I suggested)

I'm sure your booster still puts out as much as the battery in that Expedition should.

I hope it's just a crap reman alternator and not a sign of deeper problems with the vehicle.

Hadn't realized that your auxiliary battery would not stay connected to the 3G if it was being pulled down by the winch (or another vehicle)

I'd held off getting any kind of power pack for a long time but this deal was too good to let pass.

When pulling up those specs I saw one on eBay for $99 + $9 shipping

Edit: another thing I like about it is that you can back feed through the cigarette lighter.

(that would probably be enough for the ignition in a situation like I suggested)

Backfeeding through the cigar lighter is a good idea. I wonder if I have a plug for that? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

As for the aux battery, there doesn’t seem to be a perfect solution to a battery isolator. The Cole Hersee connects the batteries at something like 13.4v when it assumes the alternator is working. And it disconnects at 12.7v to ensure the starting battery isn’t drained. But it can be forced to connect for 1 minute by a switch in Mission Control.

That’s about the best system I’ve seen, and even it isn’t good enough if the load is greater than the alternator’s output. But so far it has worked, as long as I understand how to use it.

Backfeeding through the cigar lighter is a good idea. I wonder if I have a plug for that? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

As for the aux battery, there doesn’t seem to be a perfect solution to a battery isolator. The Cole Hersee connects the batteries at something like 13.4v when it assumes the alternator is working. And it disconnects at 12.7v to ensure the starting battery isn’t drained. But it can be forced to connect for 1 minute by a switch in Mission Control.

That’s about the best system I’ve seen, and even it isn’t good enough if the load is greater than the alternator’s output. But so far it has worked, as long as I understand how to use it.

Yeah, this little thing comes with a socket and a plug, so it will pump 150w out to anything like a emergency tire inflator or it can be charged from your lighter/powerpoint.

Haven't used power out (yet) but it makes it really easy to charge up. :nabble_smiley_good:

If the engine is running and you force parallel do you really think the aux battery is going to drop below 12.7?

I mean that group 31 should be able to push plenty of juice to the 34 through the cables you have, and the 3G will go 160A @14.35V easily.

Yeah, this little thing comes with a socket and a plug, so it will pump 150w out to anything like a emergency tire inflator or it can be charged from your lighter/powerpoint.

Haven't used power out (yet) but it makes it really easy to charge up. :nabble_smiley_good:

If the engine is running and you force parallel do you really think the aux battery is going to drop below 12.7?

I mean that group 31 should be able to push plenty of juice to the 34 through the cables you have, and the 3G will go 160A @14.35V easily.

You are probably right that the aux battery will stay above 12.7 with the engine running when just charging another vehicle. It won't with either the compressor or winch running in anger, but probably charging another vehicle. We shall see.