Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Got the Gates fitting today and I think it is going to be the bee's knees. However, it isn't exactly what I expected. The part labeled "C" in the catalog is actually pressed into the fitting and doesn't come out. And it sticks out far enough that it protrudes through the nut about 1/8" when the nut is torqued down, so it'll provide good support for the tube.

Speaking of torqued down, the instructions say that you are to turn the nut finger tight and then turn it three more turns. I tried it and there's no doubt about when you get to "finger tight". It turns freely and then it stops. So it'll be easy to know when you are there.

I plan to install it in the morning and then we'll see how tight the system is. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

You are thorough, Mr. Lewis! :nabble_smiley_good:

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are thorough, Mr. Lewis! :nabble_smiley_good:

Well, we will see if I have two responses to your two posts 'cause I typed out one and hit Post and nothing happened. :nabble_anim_confused:

Anyway, thanks. I'm probably normally "thorough", but more so now since I'm ailing. I run out of energy to wrench but can still take pics, so it gives me something to do.

Each day is a little bit better - if I don't over do it and take plenty of naps. Or sleep late like we did this morning. So it is going to take quite some time to get over this completely, but we are much more fortunate than many.

Anyway, I'll get out there in a bit and see if the new fitting solves the problem.

Well, we will see if I have two responses to your two posts 'cause I typed out one and hit Post and nothing happened. :nabble_anim_confused:

Anyway, thanks. I'm probably normally "thorough", but more so now since I'm ailing. I run out of energy to wrench but can still take pics, so it gives me something to do.

Each day is a little bit better - if I don't over do it and take plenty of naps. Or sleep late like we did this morning. So it is going to take quite some time to get over this completely, but we are much more fortunate than many.

Anyway, I'll get out there in a bit and see if the new fitting solves the problem.

Well, two steps forward and one step backwards. I got the compression tee installed and its two connections do not leak at all. But the Firestone push-to-connect fitting does. :nabble_smiley_uh:

But let's tell the tale with a few more details. The passenger's side plastic tube was a bit short since I'd clipped it several times in attempting to get the previous compression fittings to work as well as the push-to-connect fittings. So I checked and I had a longer piece of the tubing left over and decided to put it in place. So I pulled the original tube out of the fitting on the air spring and put the new line in - after cutting it with the proper tool and lubricating it slightly.

Then I installed it into the compression fittings and tightened them the three turns as required. With 100 PSI of air and a spritz of water & soap mix it looked like this, with no leaks:

Compression_Fittings_Don_t_Leak.thumb.jpg.353bac8ec37c6cb65abd01c111afa0f2.jpg

But, the pressure was dropping slowly so I looked at the connection on the air spring and here's what I found, even after trying it again:

Firestone_Fitting_Leaking_On_Air_Spring.thumb.jpg.5d3ab4aeff9bae96b730a038976dc45b.jpg

So I'm going to order the Gates 90 degree compression fittings to replace the push-to-connect fittings on the air bag. I just have to pull one of the bags to make sure it is a 1/4 NPT thread, like I think it is. If so I'm looking for Gates G32104-0404.

Well, two steps forward and one step backwards. I got the compression tee installed and its two connections do not leak at all. But the Firestone push-to-connect fitting does. :nabble_smiley_uh:

But let's tell the tale with a few more details. The passenger's side plastic tube was a bit short since I'd clipped it several times in attempting to get the previous compression fittings to work as well as the push-to-connect fittings. So I checked and I had a longer piece of the tubing left over and decided to put it in place. So I pulled the original tube out of the fitting on the air spring and put the new line in - after cutting it with the proper tool and lubricating it slightly.

Then I installed it into the compression fittings and tightened them the three turns as required. With 100 PSI of air and a spritz of water & soap mix it looked like this, with no leaks:

But, the pressure was dropping slowly so I looked at the connection on the air spring and here's what I found, even after trying it again:

So I'm going to order the Gates 90 degree compression fittings to replace the push-to-connect fittings on the air bag. I just have to pull one of the bags to make sure it is a 1/4 NPT thread, like I think it is. If so I'm looking for Gates G32104-0404.

So it's very possible it was leaking at the bag the whole time?

I thought you said the Firestone fittings had the sleeve inside??? :nabble_anim_confused:

So it's very possible it was leaking at the bag the whole time?

I thought you said the Firestone fittings had the sleeve inside??? :nabble_anim_confused:

Yes, the Firestone fittings have the sleeve inside. And I think they make it more likely that they won't leak in comparison to those fittings that don't have the sleeve.

When I checked those connections on the initial installation they weren't leaking. But that was at ~30 PSI. Perhaps they would have at 100 PSI like I'm checking at now. I don't know. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Yes, the Firestone fittings have the sleeve inside. And I think they make it more likely that they won't leak in comparison to those fittings that don't have the sleeve.

When I checked those connections on the initial installation they weren't leaking. But that was at ~30 PSI. Perhaps they would have at 100 PSI like I'm checking at now. I don't know. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Turns out that my memory isn't completely gone - the air springs take a 1/4" NPT fitting. So I ordered Gates G32104-0404's from O'Reilly's. They'll be in tomorrow morning by 7:30. So after finishing my 2nd cup of Joe I'll head over and pick them up.

I'd forgotten that the brackets and not just the air bags have to be pulled as the fittings won't come through the hole in the bracket. I have the passenger's side off and I'm now going to pull the driver's side in order to be ready for tomorrow morn.

:nabble_smiley_super:

Turns out that my memory isn't completely gone - the air springs take a 1/4" NPT fitting. So I ordered Gates G32104-0404's from O'Reilly's. They'll be in tomorrow morning by 7:30. So after finishing my 2nd cup of Joe I'll head over and pick them up.

I'd forgotten that the brackets and not just the air bags have to be pulled as the fittings won't come through the hole in the bracket. I have the passenger's side off and I'm now going to pull the driver's side in order to be ready for tomorrow morn.

:nabble_smiley_super:

Well, the plans of mice and men...

I may have mentioned some time ago that we have had a young lady from Ukraine working with our church, and that she was driving a loaned Expedition on which the alternator had failed. I swapped the alternator out and thought all was well.

Unfortunately the alternator appears to have failed again as it quit in Tulsa today. They've had it towed back to the church building, so I'm going to take Big Blue in the morning to get it started and bring it back to the shop where I can figure out what the problem is and fix it.

That's basically what Big Blue is set up for. With the jumper cables and two batteries I should be able to get it started easily. And with a volt meter I'll quickly know if the alternator is working. If not it'll come back to the shop to be pulled and taken to O'Reilly's from whence it came. And while there I can pick up the Gates fittings.

Well, the plans of mice and men...

I may have mentioned some time ago that we have had a young lady from Ukraine working with our church, and that she was driving a loaned Expedition on which the alternator had failed. I swapped the alternator out and thought all was well.

Unfortunately the alternator appears to have failed again as it quit in Tulsa today. They've had it towed back to the church building, so I'm going to take Big Blue in the morning to get it started and bring it back to the shop where I can figure out what the problem is and fix it.

That's basically what Big Blue is set up for. With the jumper cables and two batteries I should be able to get it started easily. And with a volt meter I'll quickly know if the alternator is working. If not it'll come back to the shop to be pulled and taken to O'Reilly's from whence it came. And while there I can pick up the Gates fittings.

Do you have your jumper cables made up with a quick plug for the winch power, like a tow truck would?

Honestly my cables haven't come out from under the seat since I got a LiPo boost pack/power bank.

That tiny thing will charge all my mobile devices and spin over the biggest engines with ease (probably a dozen times)

Do you have your jumper cables made up with a quick plug for the winch power, like a tow truck would?

Honestly my cables haven't come out from under the seat since I got a LiPo boost pack/power bank.

That tiny thing will charge all my mobile devices and spin over the biggest engines with ease (probably a dozen times)

I do have a pair of jumper cables with a connector that fits the one going to the winch. And I have one of those power packs, and while it is in the 2015 truck I'll get it for tomorrow - thanks for reminding me. :nabble_smiley_good:

I do have a pair of jumper cables with a connector that fits the one going to the winch. And I have one of those power packs, and while it is in the 2015 truck I'll get it for tomorrow - thanks for reminding me. :nabble_smiley_good:

You could probably drive the Expedition home on the boost pack with the alternator disconnected if need be.