Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Yes, the dome is opposite the set screw. Which suggests that you don't want to torque down on that screw as it'll push the tab away from the glass.

As for sandpaper, I did wrap a piece of 400 around the file and smooth it up a bit at the end. But it took a long time with the file to get it flat. Probably 30 minutes overall, with a stop every few minutes to rest the fingers.

Maybe it's not over tightening and just the inertia of the 'mirror' pulling at the dovetails over time?

Some convex would actually match the glass.

Usually just lapped it on 220 or something to make sure there was no residue.

Now my button shows the copper plating underneath. :nabble_smiley_blush:

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting. I don’t remember seeing the Pro Seal brand outside of aviation.They make a fuel tank sealant that is great. Used it to seal many things.
It is just what DeWayne had. And he said he hasn't had any complaints about it. So, we shall see. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

I followed the instructions very closely. And I'll wait until tomorrow to hang the mirror to give it the 24 hour curing time for max strength the instructions recommended. Plus, I sure won't tighten the set screw very much.Maybe you guys know, but my understanding is that rear view mirror glue is some form of a cyanoacrylate. And that those glues need a thin joint. That's why I thought it would be best to flatten the tab.

Maybe it's not over tightening and just the inertia of the 'mirror' pulling at the dovetails over time?

Some convex would actually match the glass.

Usually just lapped it on 220 or something to make sure there was no residue.

Now my button shows the copper plating underneath. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Yes, it could be the inertia of the mirror. If this fails and a pro can't get it to hold then I might come up with a different mount. Perhaps other vehicles have larger tabs and I could use an old mirror to get that mount and tab.

But I could also lighten my aluminum plate that the mirror attaches to. There's no need for much strength there so I could make it look like Swiss cheese.

Yes, it could be the inertia of the mirror. If this fails and a pro can't get it to hold then I might come up with a different mount. Perhaps other vehicles have larger tabs and I could use an old mirror to get that mount and tab.

But I could also lighten my aluminum plate that the mirror attaches to. There's no need for much strength there so I could make it look like Swiss cheese.

The adhesive is definitely acrylic of some kind , but it doesn't have the distinct odor of CA, nor does it smell of raw methacrylate monomer.

Not sure about any larger mirror mounts.

I've seen plenty of vehicles with the mirror mounted to the roof (trim around the windshield)

The adhesive is definitely acrylic of some kind , but it doesn't have the distinct odor of CA, nor does it smell of raw methacrylate monomer.

Not sure about any larger mirror mounts.

I've seen plenty of vehicles with the mirror mounted to the roof (trim around the windshield)

Attaching it to the trim might be a viable option. :nabble_smiley_good:

Here's a shot from the outside of the button mounted. Looks like I got adhesive on all but the lower left corner.

Rear_View_Mirror_Tab_Installed_-_From_Outside.thumb.jpg.edea33e217cf4a6f8344c26a3eb640e7.jpg

It does appear you've got 99% of it. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Shakedown tomorrow I suppose.

Yep, "shakedown" is the appropriate term. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I think the guys at 4WP's will like seeing the truck. And perhaps that will shake loose a few goodies. Plus, I'm hoping they'll order the mounts for the Ride-Rite air bags.

Yep, "shakedown" is the appropriate term. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I think the guys at 4WP's will like seeing the truck. And perhaps that will shake loose a few goodies. Plus, I'm hoping they'll order the mounts for the Ride-Rite air bags.

How about tap a hole in the mount, drill through the windshield, and bolt 'er on?:nabble_anim_blbl:

As Justin Wilson would say "garonteed"

But in all seriousness, good catch on the flatness (or lack of). Something worth mentioning if anyone else runs into it.

How about tap a hole in the mount, drill through the windshield, and bolt 'er on?:nabble_anim_blbl:

As Justin Wilson would say "garonteed"

But in all seriousness, good catch on the flatness (or lack of). Something worth mentioning if anyone else runs into it.

Yes, that would ensure that the mirror stays on, but it would also probably ensure that the windshield will crack somewhere and will have to be replaced. I hope I don't have to go that far!

Yes, I was thinking that others might need to know about that. From what little I understand of the glues they do better with a thin joint. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Yes, that would ensure that the mirror stays on, but it would also probably ensure that the windshield will crack somewhere and will have to be replaced. I hope I don't have to go that far!

Yes, I was thinking that others might need to know about that. From what little I understand of the glues they do better with a thin joint. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Had a very successful day. First, the rear view mirror stayed on the windshield all day. Second, the manager at 4WP, Jared, said he's going to mail me two $25 gift certificates for the show. Third, while their system wouldn't let him order parts for the Firestone Ride-Rite kit, he ordered the whole kit and will return the air bags. :nabble_smiley_beam:

I don't know what their price for the air bags is, but the whole kit was $440. Lots of places show the bags for ~150/ea, so that suggests that the kit w/o the bags will be $140. However, Amazon's price for the whole kit is $333, and if I apply the 440/333 ratio to the bags at 150 I get $198. So, it might be more like $440 - (2*198) = $44! :nabble_smiley_oh:

And, I'm getting the whole kit, including the push-to-connect fittings and all of the hardware. Jared said they don't have any problems with the fittings, so I think I'll give them a try.

:nabble_anim_jump: