Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

But, before we go I'll have to fix this:

:nabble_smiley_oh_no:

When I had to change the windshields (yep, couple of, Big Bro had a long gravel story), they always came with the Ford fixation already in its place. Have no idea about the glue the manufacturer uses.

But for some other car I had (I think it was one of my Renault 5), I remember I messed up with this thing... even with the supposedly specific dedicated glue.

A good friend of mine owns two Ziebart shops. I questioned him and he answered this is a very specific commercial glue, not available for customers, he suggests to go to such a shop to repair it. Here, he does it free, so maybe not too expansive in your region too.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But, before we go I'll have to fix this:

:nabble_smiley_oh_no:

When I had to change the windshields (yep, couple of, Big Bro had a long gravel story), they always came with the Ford fixation already in its place. Have no idea about the glue the manufacturer uses.

But for some other car I had (I think it was one of my Renault 5), I remember I messed up with this thing... even with the supposedly specific dedicated glue.

A good friend of mine owns two Ziebart shops. I questioned him and he answered this is a very specific commercial glue, not available for customers, he suggests to go to such a shop to repair it. Here, he does it free, so maybe not too expansive in your region too.

Thanks, Jim.

Jeff - I've heard that before, but thought that I'd give whatever glue I used last time a try. It lasted for a couple of years, but sitting in the direct sun yesterday killed it.

I'll call around and see what I can find. Thanks.

but sitting in the direct sun yesterday killed it.

I agree Gary, but this new technological mirror is certainly heavier than the plain one, so it probably participated in your bracket sudden death.

Would be bad that it falls again during your trail trip. I wouldn't take any chance.

:nabble_smiley_super:

Thanks, Jim.

Jeff - I've heard that before, but thought that I'd give whatever glue I used last time a try. It lasted for a couple of years, but sitting in the direct sun yesterday killed it.

I'll call around and see what I can find. Thanks.

Yeah Jeff, I'm not considering how much this 'mirror' might weigh compared to factory.

Gary, I would be careful using old glue or catalyst. Two years doesn't sound very good.

Anyway, hope you're able to get the windshield clean and activated without affecting the new band of tint. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yeah Jeff, I'm not considering how much this 'mirror' might weigh compared to factory.

Gary, I would be careful using old glue or catalyst. Two years doesn't sound very good.

Anyway, hope you're able to get the windshield clean and activated without affecting the new band of tint. :nabble_smiley_good:

At one time Chrysler had the strongest mirror mount adhesive going. I had a mirror knocked off and the adhesive took a small glass "divot" with the mounting pad.

When my local glass shop installed the windshield in the LeBaron, I had him re mount Darth's mirror pad as I have a fairly heavy one in him out of a Lincoln Town car (auto day-night and compass).

At one time Chrysler had the strongest mirror mount adhesive going. I had a mirror knocked off and the adhesive took a small glass "divot" with the mounting pad.

When my local glass shop installed the windshield in the LeBaron, I had him re mount Darth's mirror pad as I have a fairly heavy one in him out of a Lincoln Town car (auto day-night and compass).

I’m going to put it back on with the glue I got from DeWayne this morning. That’s ‘cause I want to take the truck to 4WP’s tomorrow to see if they are going to give me anything for the show, and would like to have the mirror.

And then if it comes off again I’ll have it put on “commercially”. I did call my paint/body man and left a message to see what he recommends. We shall see.

I’m going to put it back on with the glue I got from DeWayne this morning. That’s ‘cause I want to take the truck to 4WP’s tomorrow to see if they are going to give me anything for the show, and would like to have the mirror.

And then if it comes off again I’ll have it put on “commercially”. I did call my paint/body man and left a message to see what he recommends. We shall see.

Talked to my paint/body man, John, and he doesn't do rear view mirrors. So I put it on using the Pro Seal kit I got from DeWayne.

BUT, I discovered that the tab that adheres to the windshield wasn't flat. Not at all. In the pic on the left you can see the spot in the center that my triangular file made after a couple of passes. And the left 1/3 of the tab has a different color to it as the tab curved quite a bit there so you are seeing a thick layer of adhesive.

In the pic on the right I've gotten it flat with the exception of the corners on the left. I think this will give it a better chance of staying on - at least for tomorrow. But if it comes off again I'll be taking it to a pro. Fortunately with three wires to the mirror, and on the top no less, it doesn't really fall nor get hurt. In fact, it still works but is a bit hard to view.

Mirror_Tab_-_Before.thumb.jpg.d44332be2a257a319d7690555b25f431.jpgMirror_Tab_-_After.thumb.jpg.1e3f791924bb7aca59451ef5728d4944.jpg

Talked to my paint/body man, John, and he doesn't do rear view mirrors. So I put it on using the Pro Seal kit I got from DeWayne.

BUT, I discovered that the tab that adheres to the windshield wasn't flat. Not at all. In the pic on the left you can see the spot in the center that my triangular file made after a couple of passes. And the left 1/3 of the tab has a different color to it as the tab curved quite a bit there so you are seeing a thick layer of adhesive.

In the pic on the right I've gotten it flat with the exception of the corners on the left. I think this will give it a better chance of staying on - at least for tomorrow. But if it comes off again I'll be taking it to a pro. Fortunately with three wires to the mirror, and on the top no less, it doesn't really fall nor get hurt. In fact, it still works but is a bit hard to view.

Not that I do a lot, I have always cleaned the 'button' on carbide sandpaper. (Mostly because that's already on the bench for sharpening chisel and plane irons)

Is the dome opposite the mirrors setscrew??

Not that I do a lot, I have always cleaned the 'button' on carbide sandpaper. (Mostly because that's already on the bench for sharpening chisel and plane irons)

Is the dome opposite the mirrors setscrew??

Yes, the dome is opposite the set screw. Which suggests that you don't want to torque down on that screw as it'll push the tab away from the glass.

As for sandpaper, I did wrap a piece of 400 around the file and smooth it up a bit at the end. But it took a long time with the file to get it flat. Probably 30 minutes overall, with a stop every few minutes to rest the fingers.

Interesting. I don’t remember seeing the Pro Seal brand outside of aviation.

They make a fuel tank sealant that is great. Used it to seal many things.