Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Gary, I thought the Mac was the one I have.

We have twins. I wound up with two and brought one to you via your son. And you give me the DS-II tester in return.

I think the switches are dirty as these functions used to work. I'll spray them later, but I saw enough in "parade" to tell me what I needed to know.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have twins. I wound up with two and brought one to you via your son. And you give me the DS-II tester in return.

I think the switches are dirty as these functions used to work. I'll spray them later, but I saw enough in "parade" to tell me what I needed to know.

That's right. The DS-II tester would definitely be one for loan and return in that discussion.

That's right. The DS-II tester would definitely be one for loan and return in that discussion.

Yep, the DS-II tester could be loaned.

Back from our trip. 169.1 miles and 13.256 gallons for 12.8 MPG. Not as good as I'd hoped, but it was all at 65 MPH on cruise so I'm sure I could do a bit better feeding it myself. And it was windy today, which always hurts MPG on a round trip like that. So I think 14.0 is possible under ideal conditions. But it looks like 12.5 - 13.0 is what to expect for an average.

The idle is still smooth, so I'm pretty sure that the ignition problem has been fixed. But I still want to see if I can get the other functions working on the MAC scope as I'd like to see a zoomed-in view.

And the truck is running really well. In fact, Janey said "Your truck is comfortable." So I think we are in a phase of ticking off the small stuff now. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Yep, the DS-II tester could be loaned.

Back from our trip. 169.1 miles and 13.256 gallons for 12.8 MPG. Not as good as I'd hoped, but it was all at 65 MPH on cruise so I'm sure I could do a bit better feeding it myself. And it was windy today, which always hurts MPG on a round trip like that. So I think 14.0 is possible under ideal conditions. But it looks like 12.5 - 13.0 is what to expect for an average.

The idle is still smooth, so I'm pretty sure that the ignition problem has been fixed. But I still want to see if I can get the other functions working on the MAC scope as I'd like to see a zoomed-in view.

And the truck is running really well. In fact, Janey said "Your truck is comfortable." So I think we are in a phase of ticking off the small stuff now. :nabble_smiley_happy:

A 1985 Ford F250HD 4x4, and it’s comfortable.

You got it going on right there! That’s awesome! A gentleman’s pickup!

A 1985 Ford F250HD 4x4, and it’s comfortable.

You got it going on right there! That’s awesome! A gentleman’s pickup!

Thanks, Dane.

Comfortable is a relative term. Compared to a stock '85 F250HD 4x4, Big Blue is comfortable. But compared to a stock 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4, it rides rough and makes a lot of noise. However, Janey says the captain's chairs in BB are more comfortable than those in Blue. :nabble_anim_confused:

I credit the D60 SAS and SuperDuty springs with RSK for the biggest part of the ride improvement. That made a huge difference. (Pulling 2 leaves out of the rear spring packz made a big difference as well, but they weren't stock and so can't be used in this comparison.)

But there's another aspect to Janey's statement about it being comfortable. She's remembering what BB was like when I first got him. Not only did it ride so rough that you ensured your mouth was closed when you saw a bump coming, it was terribly noisy. And there were many, many changes that helped in that area, including: glasspacks to Magnaflows; T-19 to ZF5 w/OD; new door and window rubber; lots of sound deadening and insulation; and closing up holes in the firewall. But the old tires are making awful noises as they have flat spots and chunks missing, so since new tires are in the offing BB will be even quieter in the near future.

But let's put it this way - she just suggested that we drive BB to South Carolina and then Florida to see the kids. What she was thinking about was the trip that our son and I are planning to take in October, and she was wondering if we could do it in the South East. I don't think that is a viable option as I don't think we want to go to the SE for overlanding. But it shows she is willing to go anywhere in Big Blue!

In reality, the plan for October is for Janey and I to drive to Santa Fe, drop her off in a hotel, and I'll go pick up our son at the airport. We'll take 2 or 3 days to overland, and then reverse the above procedure. She's approved that plan, which requires a minimum of 4 days of riding in Big Blue, so he'd better be COMFORTABLE!

Thanks, Dane.

Comfortable is a relative term. Compared to a stock '85 F250HD 4x4, Big Blue is comfortable. But compared to a stock 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4, it rides rough and makes a lot of noise. However, Janey says the captain's chairs in BB are more comfortable than those in Blue. :nabble_anim_confused:

I credit the D60 SAS and SuperDuty springs with RSK for the biggest part of the ride improvement. That made a huge difference. (Pulling 2 leaves out of the rear spring packz made a big difference as well, but they weren't stock and so can't be used in this comparison.)

But there's another aspect to Janey's statement about it being comfortable. She's remembering what BB was like when I first got him. Not only did it ride so rough that you ensured your mouth was closed when you saw a bump coming, it was terribly noisy. And there were many, many changes that helped in that area, including: glasspacks to Magnaflows; T-19 to ZF5 w/OD; new door and window rubber; lots of sound deadening and insulation; and closing up holes in the firewall. But the old tires are making awful noises as they have flat spots and chunks missing, so since new tires are in the offing BB will be even quieter in the near future.

But let's put it this way - she just suggested that we drive BB to South Carolina and then Florida to see the kids. What she was thinking about was the trip that our son and I are planning to take in October, and she was wondering if we could do it in the South East. I don't think that is a viable option as I don't think we want to go to the SE for overlanding. But it shows she is willing to go anywhere in Big Blue!

In reality, the plan for October is for Janey and I to drive to Santa Fe, drop her off in a hotel, and I'll go pick up our son at the airport. We'll take 2 or 3 days to overland, and then reverse the above procedure. She's approved that plan, which requires a minimum of 4 days of riding in Big Blue, so he'd better be COMFORTABLE!

Darth is very comfortable on smooth roads, get on a rough one and you can definitely feel the 1 ton suspension. Not long after we got him, late wife and I were Campmasters at the 960 acre Pipsico Scout Reservation, I had come directly from the Shipyard in Darth, Karen had left earlier in the 1987 Horizon. When we got ready to leave, Karen said "why don't you go on ahead with the Horizon and I'll follow in the truck" That was before Matt and his friends named the Dually "Darth Vader". She wanted to get cigarettes in Isle of Wight County where they were cheaper so asked me to wait there. I left, she secured the Campmaster building and gave the ranger the keys and started home. I had left probably 20 mins before she did, she got to the tobacco store maybe 10 mins after I did. I asked her how the trip was and she said. "it's a good thing they weren't running radar, I was going along and looked at the speedometer and was doing 80". This is a 2 lane country road, VA 10 running along the South side of the James River. She had no idea of the speed because it just didn't seem that fast.

Thanks, Dane.

Glad to know that Janey feels comfortable and confident in Big Blue.

Amazing to me that you are looking at 12+ mpg. (But I have 4.10's and stock tires)

Yes, it certainly has been a journey with this truck.

BB has reached 'silk purse' status, and sets an example that everyone can aspire to. :nabble_anim_claps:

A powerful new engine with finely tuned management and a much more compliant suspension definitely brought this truck out of the malaise era.

What are your thoughts on new shoes that will be effective off road while keeping noise down?

Bill, I don't doubt your wife surprised herself going to a big tank like Darth from her little Horizon.

Seating height, wheelbase, track width. The whole experience!

The impression of 30 knots is far different on a cruise ship than in a ski boat.

The Horizon/Omni was derided as a joke in high school when these first came out.

But Iococca changed the face of the American auto industry

Amazing to me that you are looking at 12+ mpg. (But I have 4.10's and stock tires)

BB has reached 'silk purse' status, and sets an example that everyone can aspire to. :nabble_anim_claps:

A powerful new engine with finely tuned management and a much more compliant suspension definitely brought this truck out of the malaise era.

What are your thoughts on new shoes that will be effective off road while keeping noise down?

Bill, I don't doubt your wife surprised herself going to a big tank like Darth from her little Horizon.

The impression of 30 knots is far different on a cruise ship than in a ski boat.

The Horizon/Omni was derided as a joke in high school when these first came out.

Actually her normal car was a 1980 Bonneville Diesel. She had decided to take the Horizon as it was easier to load for the weekend.

Actually her normal car was a 1980 Bonneville Diesel. She had decided to take the Horizon as it was easier to load for the weekend.

Ah, I didn't know that was her car.

I remember you mentioned that Matt had it one night when someone decided to steal "gas" from it...

And everything that happened after. 😁

Jim - I think Big Blue is going to turn in almost 13 in most conditions, save for serious winds or driving faster. I was hoping for more, but I don't think it is going to happen. Still, that's a significant improvement over the mid-11's he was getting with the carb, and the driveability difference is dramatic. The best of both worlds.

As for the tires, that is the $64,000 question. Concerning size, I think I'll stay with the 33's. Janey has enough trouble as it is getting in so I don't want to raise it another inch by going to 35's. And the 33's seem just about right - big enough to go over 'most anything, but small enough to give a better ride and MPG than 35's.

But on the brand I less decided. We discussed it some in this thread starting here, and I think the vote at that time must have been two for the BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2’s, one for Falken Wild peaks AT3's, and then Bob basically said "anything but KO2's!".

I think I'm going to start a separate thread for the tires and get everyone's input.