Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I have always placed it about center between ring and end of hose. Seams to work for me.

Thanks, guys.

Having never really thought about it until now I've not realized that there are two different modes of sealing for a hose. There's the seal the clamp creates by compressing the hose against the barrel of the fitting, and the seal the hose makes to the ring. As I've seen, if the hose is compromised in some way, like from a clamp with a ridge, the hose/barrel seal can leak.

And I would think that if the clamp is far enough from the ring the pressure in the hose can cause the hose to expand and lose the seal on the ring. So that suggests that placing the clamp close to the ring might prevent the hose from expanding, and that would keep the ring/hose seal in tact.

I used to think that the ring was just to prevent the hose from sliding off, but now it seems like it is really part of the seal.

Does that make sense?

Thanks, guys.

Having never really thought about it until now I've not realized that there are two different modes of sealing for a hose. There's the seal the clamp creates by compressing the hose against the barrel of the fitting, and the seal the hose makes to the ring. As I've seen, if the hose is compromised in some way, like from a clamp with a ridge, the hose/barrel seal can leak.

And I would think that if the clamp is far enough from the ring the pressure in the hose can cause the hose to expand and lose the seal on the ring. So that suggests that placing the clamp close to the ring might prevent the hose from expanding, and that would keep the ring/hose seal in tact.

I used to think that the ring was just to prevent the hose from sliding off, but now it seems like it is really part of the seal.

Does that make sense?

Yes. I let the ring help.

Thanks, guys.

Does that make sense?

Yes. I let the ring help.

I too. I never place the clip near the hose end. Usually I use two clips, screw positioned reversely, the first juuuust beside the pipe bead, the second one (if enough place) beside the first clip, closer to the hose end.

I do the same in building plumbing.

Thanks, guys.

Does that make sense?

I'd think if the hose started to slide (with the clamp on it) then the clamp will slide up tight to the ring anyhow... :nabble_anim_confused:

I usually try to place my clamp the width of the band from the hose end.

ie: 10mm wide band clamp = 10mm of hose exposed beyond the clamp.

Obviously this depends on the length of the barb or neck. Often with something like a fuel line there's just not enough room, and I don't like to clamp down on top of sharp ridges.

I'd think if the hose started to slide (with the clamp on it) then the clamp will slide up tight to the ring anyhow... :nabble_anim_confused:

I usually try to place my clamp the width of the band from the hose end.

ie: 10mm wide band clamp = 10mm of hose exposed beyond the clamp.

Obviously this depends on the length of the barb or neck. Often with something like a fuel line there's just not enough room, and I don't like to clamp down on top of sharp ridges.

Yes, if the clamp/hose slides I'd expect it to stop at the ring - assuming it is reasonably snug to start with.

As for original placement of the clamp, I think these show what I'm trying to say, but I've exaggerated the swelling of the hose to make the point.

Hose_Clamp_Away_-_No_Pressure.thumb.jpg.4122e7c19828f5a194fff37ad8233bb0.jpgHose_Clamp_Away_-_With_Pressure.thumb.jpg.576512eb5d58f4d254679cb7ddf4131f.jpg

Hose_Clamp_At_Ring_-_No_Pressure.thumb.jpg.7f42c180be90ca35ec6ad5a60132370f.jpgHose_Clamp_At_Ring_-_With_Pressure.thumb.jpg.41374a402b159bdde0b191ba0f7a408d.jpg

Yes, if the clamp/hose slides I'd expect it to stop at the ring - assuming it is reasonably snug to start with.

As for original placement of the clamp, I think these show what I'm trying to say, but I've exaggerated the swelling of the hose to make the point.

Radiator looks good and I can say after removing mine, inserting the nutserts, reinstalling, and installing the electric fan shroud - adding the nutserts will pay off if you ever go that route.

That's a serious hose clamp.

Sorry to hear about the ac especially with these temps lately.

Adding this photo just to give a visual of the shroud (or one of many?) that fits the Champions.

IMG_20220509_223303462.jpg.a62172e922d155cbab49ee91349f5e3a.jpg

Radiator looks good and I can say after removing mine, inserting the nutserts, reinstalling, and installing the electric fan shroud - adding the nutserts will pay off if you ever go that route.

That's a serious hose clamp.

Sorry to hear about the ac especially with these temps lately.

Adding this photo just to give a visual of the shroud (or one of many?) that fits the Champions.

Thanks, Scott. I'm happy to say that there is no coolant on the floor of the shop, which is a first in quite some time, so I do hope the cooling system is "there".

Yes, the loss of A/C has put the kibosh on the idea of taking the truck for a 100 mile spin tomorrow. Way too warm for comfort. But hopefully they'll figure out what the problem is on Friday, although fixing it will probably take a bit more time.

As for the shroud, I really doubt I'll go electric since the belt-driven fan is working quite nicely. But I'm happy to be prepared just in case. However, I am curious to see what you learn in your testing.

Gary, your drawings show exactly what experience showed me, even in house plumbing (rubber or Carlon hoses): If clamped too close to the end, good chance they will leak. Don’t know why, but looks like the hose material is «less compressible» at its extreme end (material “physically hardened” due to the cut? Or maybe the hose adherence in the “low pressure” section is enough to stop a small leak?).

Anyway, in all cases (home or vehicles), result is better if hose is clamped close to the pipe ring.

And MUCH better if a second clamp secures the “low pressure” hose extremity.

And MUCH MUCH better is the two clamps are installed in reversed position (screw not same side of the hose).

Gary, your drawings show exactly what experience showed me, even in house plumbing (rubber or Carlon hoses): If clamped too close to the end, good chance they will leak. Don’t know why, but looks like the hose material is «less compressible» at its extreme end (material “physically hardened” due to the cut? Or maybe the hose adherence in the “low pressure” section is enough to stop a small leak?).

Anyway, in all cases (home or vehicles), result is better if hose is clamped close to the pipe ring.

And MUCH better if a second clamp secures the “low pressure” hose extremity.

And MUCH MUCH better is the two clamps are installed in reversed position (screw not same side of the hose).

Jeff - I've not tried two clamps, but I have had some problems over the years with leakage so have been thinking about the best way to solve that. I think moving the clamps next to the ring is a good first step, and it frees up enough room to install a second clamp I'll do it - especially on the lower radiator hose which is hard to see.