Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Bill - Dawn/Marblehead! Now I see, said the blind man. :nabble_smiley_good:

Let me see if I can 'spain the epiphany I just had. As the post on Stang Net says, there are two ways to get AFR data in:

• Serial: Go to the Hardware tab, as shown below, and enable it there. Dunno if Core Tuning set it up for Innovate initially, but I'll bet they did. And set up that transfer table, which is different from the "via the EEC" transfer table.

• EEC: You can also connect to one of the unused inputs, like EGR, and bring it in that way. This approach is done via the Transfer Functions button on the Datalog page, and has its own transfer table.

Ok, obviously the Serial approach is easier since no wires have to be run to the EEC, although it is a bit more fiddly since now I'll have the serial wire also running to the laptop while logging. But as I won't be logging all that much I think this is the way I'll go.

Thanks!

You're welcome. If you were closer I would bring Percy over and knock some sense into you. (before you ask, Percy is my Sledge hammer)

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're welcome. If you were closer I would bring Percy over and knock some sense into you. (before you ask, Percy is my Sledge hammer)

Percy better be big!

Hmmm, just thought of something. My father used to say something about me being "bullheaded". I used to think I knew what he meant, but that may now have taken a somewhat different meaning? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Also, does Percy's induced sense include household things? Would that have prevented me from getting into my wife's painting project? Man, painting the ceiling is painful!

Percy better be big!

Hmmm, just thought of something. My father used to say something about me being "bullheaded". I used to think I knew what he meant, but that may now have taken a somewhat different meaning? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Also, does Percy's induced sense include household things? Would that have prevented me from getting into my wife's painting project? Man, painting the ceiling is painful!

Well, we got the painting done and decided to go to "lupper" to celebrate. So we took Big Blue as I've made some changes to the logging and dashboard and wanted to do some datalogging.

When I started the truck up I heard a squeal that went away, and smelled something. Stopped to look and couldn't find anything so we went on. But instead of going to Owasso, which would have been a round trip of 45 miles, we decided to go to Ron's.

That was a wise decision because on the way home the steering got really "heavy". And while I was trying to wrestle it around the next corner I realized that the brake boost was gone. Turns out you cannot press hard on the brake pedal at the same time you are using all your strength to turn the steering wheel. But we made it home and here's what I found:

PS_Belt_AWOL.thumb.jpg.754dc94a776ad03baebc958718ca1b6f.jpg

And if that isn't obvious to you, here's a closeup. I guess it was the idler pulley. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Idler_Pulley_Melt_Down.thumb.jpg.3cd2f6b692c23ee5825231ef96fbeb3d.jpg

Well, we got the painting done and decided to go to "lupper" to celebrate. So we took Big Blue as I've made some changes to the logging and dashboard and wanted to do some datalogging.

When I started the truck up I heard a squeal that went away, and smelled something. Stopped to look and couldn't find anything so we went on. But instead of going to Owasso, which would have been a round trip of 45 miles, we decided to go to Ron's.

That was a wise decision because on the way home the steering got really "heavy". And while I was trying to wrestle it around the next corner I realized that the brake boost was gone. Turns out you cannot press hard on the brake pedal at the same time you are using all your strength to turn the steering wheel. But we made it home and here's what I found:

And if that isn't obvious to you, here's a closeup. I guess it was the idler pulley. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Yikes! I hate when that happens.

Good choice staying close!

Ouch, I would say the tensioner pulley bearing seized up looking at the melted pulley. Haven't had that happen, yet, have had a water pump snap the shaft and had the Taurus AC compressor lock up with similar results.

The fun of owning and driving antique vehicles.

Yes, yikes and ouch! Made for an interesting trip home, but sure was glad it was a short trip.

And now for some observations from the log/dashboard:

• IMPG: Bill, do you have this one in any of your logs? If you do, what kind of numbers does it run?

How is it calculated? I can't find it anywhere, but it shows on my dashboard and in the logs. Running a steady 43 MPH it was showing ~17.5 MPG.

• Dashpot: I'm pretty sure that the "Dashpot MPH to Enable Declutch Clip" parameter is the issue.

It is currently set to 15 MPH, and above that speed if I close the throttle & push the clutch in the R's go to ~1800 for a few seconds and then come down to idle slowly. But when we get down to 15 MPH the R's come down gently to idle, which is still around 700 since I've not sorted that yet.

The explanation on this is "When this MPH is exceeded the dashpot is set to help prevent declutch", so I'm going to set it to 128 MPH, which is the max, and see if that fixes it. I hope so as compression braking doesn't work well with it enabled, and I really wanted compression braking with the boost out today.

Still lots of work to do to get things sorted, but even with the idler pulley seizing up today it feels like I'm making progress.

Yes, yikes and ouch! Made for an interesting trip home, but sure was glad it was a short trip.

• IMPG: Bill, do you have this one in any of your logs? If you do, what kind of numbers does it run?

How is it calculated? I can't find it anywhere, but it shows on my dashboard and in the logs. Running a steady 43 MPH it was showing ~17.5 MPG.

• Dashpot: I'm pretty sure that the "Dashpot MPH to Enable Declutch Clip" parameter is the issue.

It is currently set to 15 MPH, and above that speed if I close the throttle & push the clutch in the R's go to ~1800 for a few seconds and then come down to idle slowly. But when we get down to 15 MPH the R's come down gently to idle, which is still around 700 since I've not sorted that yet.

The explanation on this is "When this MPH is exceeded the dashpot is set to help prevent declutch", so I'm going to set it to 128 MPH, which is the max, and see if that fixes it. I hope so as compression braking doesn't work well with it enabled, and I really wanted compression braking with the boost out today.

Still lots of work to do to get things sorted, but even with the idler pulley seizing up today it feels like I'm making progress.

Been playing with the chart function in Binary Editor, and it shows what is going on with the RPM on deceleration.

In the chart below you can see that I closed the throttle at about 43 MPH and the RPM, MPH, and Idle Speed Controller all started coming down together. But at 35 MPH the ISC went up, as did the RPM - to about 1900. And it stayed that way, with the clutch pushed in, until we coasted down to 19 MPH at which point the ISC started dropping and, therefore, so did the RPM.

So I need to find out what is causing that, and I'm betting it is the dashpot. I could easily change the dashpot setting, but I might need an idler pulley and a belt before I test it out.

ISC_vs_Throttle_vs_RPM_vs_MPH.thumb.jpg.4f47350a0c329448d938267175a88aea.jpg

I have IMPG and MPG one after the other and I have no clue where that information originates. I will look and see what it says.

I do not see either listed on the datalog page????

I have IMPG and MPG one after the other and I have no clue where that information originates. I will look and see what it says.

Right, they aren't listed but we are logging them. And we have no idea how they are calculated.

In your case your IMPG is either 0 if the MPH is 0, or 60 if the MPH is other than 0. And your MPH is always in the 200's, regardless of whether the truck is moving or not.

My IMPG is more realistic in that it is 0 until the truck moves, and then it gives reasonable numbers - assuming it means Instantaneous MPG, as I think it is possible to see 17 MPG at a steady speed of 45 MPH. But the MPG #'s are wonky, so I'd sure like to know how they calculate those #'s.

And a search for Binary Editor and IMPG hasn't turned up anything helpful. I'm thinking that this is one of those questions I'll ask Ben when I go down for the dyno tune. Let's see if we can get a list of questions together for that day.

Oh yes, when I open any of my files or your file in the chart function of BE neither IMPG or MPG is in the list of things to chart. But it is in the data. :nabble_anim_confused:

Right, they aren't listed but we are logging them. And we have no idea how they are calculated.

In your case your IMPG is either 0 if the MPH is 0, or 60 if the MPH is other than 0. And your MPH is always in the 200's, regardless of whether the truck is moving or not.

My IMPG is more realistic in that it is 0 until the truck moves, and then it gives reasonable numbers - assuming it means Instantaneous MPG, as I think it is possible to see 17 MPG at a steady speed of 45 MPH. But the MPG #'s are wonky, so I'd sure like to know how they calculate those #'s.

And a search for Binary Editor and IMPG hasn't turned up anything helpful. I'm thinking that this is one of those questions I'll ask Ben when I go down for the dyno tune. Let's see if we can get a list of questions together for that day.

Oh yes, when I open any of my files or your file in the chart function of BE neither IMPG or MPG is in the list of things to chart. But it is in the data. :nabble_anim_confused:

Got the new pulley and belt on and started it up. No problemo.

Then I pulled and plugged the air line to the idle speed control solenoid and adjusted the idle speed down to ~600 RPM with the idle stop screw on the throttle body. Plugged the hose back in and she idles at ~650 now.

And I wrote a new "tune" to it with the dashpot set to 128 MPH before it takes effect. Hopefully that will solve that problem.

So we are going to take it on that trip to Owasso in a bit to see how it does. More this afternoon...

Good_Pulley_vs_Bad_Pulley.thumb.jpg.7aff8636911d66ad47b14374db42ba02.jpgGood_Belt_vs_Bad_Belt.thumb.jpg.89c0043d61b7364c4139c89c98acdb92.jpg