Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Also, I need to figure out how to interface the wideband to the computer so I can log it. And then change the things that are logged. And, and, and....

:nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

Patience is a virtue, John. I'll get there. :nabble_smiley_wink:

My wideband is an Innovate and has an serial ouput that goes through an adapter into a USB port on my old dual boot MacBook Pro. Open your Binary Editor and on the displays section, select hardware. First be sure you OBDII block is checked. See if your wideband is shown, if not you may need to get in touch with Core Tuning to see about using it.

On your displays panel, datalog will bring up a list, 3rd panel down, 2nd line is EVP (EGR Valve Position) and has the note it can be used for wideband.

Bill - My wideband is an Innovate MTX-L Plus, and it does have an analog output. So I want to interface it a you described. But I'm not seeing what you described on BE. Here's what I'm seeing in Datalog. What am I missing?

Screenshot_(77).thumb.png.1b19e10422c09951b5b656b2e9d00875.png

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Patience is a virtue, John. I'll get there. :nabble_smiley_wink:

My wideband is an Innovate and has an serial ouput that goes through an adapter into a USB port on my old dual boot MacBook Pro. Open your Binary Editor and on the displays section, select hardware. First be sure you OBDII block is checked. See if your wideband is shown, if not you may need to get in touch with Core Tuning to see about using it.

On your displays panel, datalog will bring up a list, 3rd panel down, 2nd line is EVP (EGR Valve Position) and has the note it can be used for wideband.

Bill - My wideband is an Innovate MTX-L Plus, and it does have an analog output. So I want to interface it a you described. But I'm not seeing what you described on BE. Here's what I'm seeing in Datalog. What am I missing?

Wide band has to be enabled in the hardware tab as shown here:

2022-04-21.thumb.png.cae5788caed13ee861af16e30159505f.png

That being said, I have a pair of cables, first one is a mini-DIN to serial female, the second is a serial male to USB. The mini-DIN goes into the Innovate readout, the USB, due to the MacBook Pro only having two USB ports goes to a USB 2.0 hub with 4 USB 2.0 ports that can be switched on or off as needed. I use it for the Innovate, mouse and dongle and connect it to one of the computer USB ports and the Mongoose to the other computer USB port.

I have been outside trying to get another Ford started that is being quite stubborn. My 1991 YT16H so I can play French yard games as a late friend used to say, mow-z-lawn.

Wide band has to be enabled in the hardware tab as shown here:

That being said, I have a pair of cables, first one is a mini-DIN to serial female, the second is a serial male to USB. The mini-DIN goes into the Innovate readout, the USB, due to the MacBook Pro only having two USB ports goes to a USB 2.0 hub with 4 USB 2.0 ports that can be switched on or off as needed. I use it for the Innovate, mouse and dongle and connect it to one of the computer USB ports and the Mongoose to the other computer USB port.

I have been outside trying to get another Ford started that is being quite stubborn. My 1991 YT16H so I can play French yard games as a late friend used to say, mow-z-lawn.

So you aren't bringing the Innovate in via EEC? You are bringing it in via a USB port? I guess, looking back, you said that before.

But you also, I think, implied I could bring it in via the EGR Valve Position input, which I'd like to do as it would make it a lot easier to not have the extra cable. But I'm not seeing that input where I think you said it would be. And I think I'm configured for it, as shown below.

Go ahead and mow-z-lawn and we can work this later.

Screenshot_(78).thumb.png.0b87d4429a6c2bd21d4a5199545d72ec.png

So you aren't bringing the Innovate in via EEC? You are bringing it in via a USB port? I guess, looking back, you said that before.

But you also, I think, implied I could bring it in via the EGR Valve Position input, which I'd like to do as it would make it a lot easier to not have the extra cable. But I'm not seeing that input where I think you said it would be. And I think I'm configured for it, as shown below.

Ok, I think I've cracked it. With a little Googling I found this on How to connect a Innovate LC-1 to the EGR input. In part it says:

Locate the Analog Output wire of the LC1 controller. It will be either the yellow (analog out 1) or brown wire (analog out 2). For this example, the brown wire (analog out 2) is used since it is configured, by default, to be the wideband output.

Connect this output to pin27 on your EEC (brown/light green stripe wire – 88-95 5.0 cars). If you are working on a different vehicle, then check your vehicle's EVTM or wiring diagram for correct wire markings AND EEC pinout.

Well, Pin 27 on our EECs is the E4OD #1 shift solenoid, but the BR/LG wire comes from the Delta Pressure Feedback EGR sensor (DPFE), and our pinout spreadsheet shows that at Pin 65, and it is the EGR Valve Position Feed (DPFE Sense). Sure enough, in Datalog I found that parameter and turned it on.

So, if I find the BR/LG wire & pin and put it back in the EEC's connector I should be able to connect it to the wideband's yellow wire and logging will happen - once I get the bung installed.

Speaking of which, I called the exhaust shop and the owner is out today but will call me back tomorrow and we can schedule the move of the one bung and the installation of the other.

Ok, I think I've cracked it. With a little Googling I found this on How to connect a Innovate LC-1 to the EGR input. In part it says:

Locate the Analog Output wire of the LC1 controller. It will be either the yellow (analog out 1) or brown wire (analog out 2). For this example, the brown wire (analog out 2) is used since it is configured, by default, to be the wideband output.

Connect this output to pin27 on your EEC (brown/light green stripe wire – 88-95 5.0 cars). If you are working on a different vehicle, then check your vehicle's EVTM or wiring diagram for correct wire markings AND EEC pinout.

Well, Pin 27 on our EECs is the E4OD #1 shift solenoid, but the BR/LG wire comes from the Delta Pressure Feedback EGR sensor (DPFE), and our pinout spreadsheet shows that at Pin 65, and it is the EGR Valve Position Feed (DPFE Sense). Sure enough, in Datalog I found that parameter and turned it on.

So, if I find the BR/LG wire & pin and put it back in the EEC's connector I should be able to connect it to the wideband's yellow wire and logging will happen - once I get the bung installed.

Speaking of which, I called the exhaust shop and the owner is out today but will call me back tomorrow and we can schedule the move of the one bung and the installation of the other.

And now for an early end-of-day report: The truck is back together. I got the Ewissions label glued into the instrument bezel and it installed. Then came the aftermarket gauges, the vacuum gauge, and the AFR gauge. Plus the trailer brake controller, which neatly covers the EEC wiring.

Here's a shot of the label: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/head-rotfl-57x22_orig.gif

EWISSONS_Light.thumb.jpg.8ba368536e96ab4532cbe29107d515c3.jpg

And here's a driver's view and a passenger's view of the dash. You can't even see the OBD-II connector, much less the wiring to the computer.

The truck is now ready to go to the exhaust shop, whenever I can get it in. But I have to wire the AFR gauge to the EEC, so I do have a bit more I can do before they are ready for it.

Drivers_Side_View.thumb.jpg.c9528331fc9b39cccef92511e959daa9.jpgPassengers_View_-_No_ECC_or_DTC.thumb.jpg.2642b6571d4895c959cdb990a848599a.jpg

And now for an early end-of-day report: The truck is back together. I got the Ewissions label glued into the instrument bezel and it installed. Then came the aftermarket gauges, the vacuum gauge, and the AFR gauge. Plus the trailer brake controller, which neatly covers the EEC wiring.

Here's a shot of the label: :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

And here's a driver's view and a passenger's view of the dash. You can't even see the OBD-II connector, much less the wiring to the computer.

The truck is now ready to go to the exhaust shop, whenever I can get it in. But I have to wire the AFR gauge to the EEC, so I do have a bit more I can do before they are ready for it.

As Jim has been known to say, "progress is good"!

As Jim has been known to say, "progress is good"!

I think this was two steps forward and one sideways. Ewissions doesn't quite seem to be forward. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Anyway, thanks. It is interesting that there's nothing different to be seen in the cab, but lots different under the hood.

Correct, I only use the input for data logging when tuning. I had asked Adam about using the WB for cruise mixture control to see if I could get into the 16:1 the old 2 barrel 390s would do. He told me it won't work like that.

Correct, I only use the input for data logging when tuning. I had asked Adam about using the WB for cruise mixture control to see if I could get into the 16:1 the old 2 barrel 390s would do. He told me it won't work like that.

Thanks Bill. Good to know that's going to work. I'm going to work on getting that connected today, but hopefully the exhaust shop will call and be able to get it in, so I want to be ready for that as well.

Thanks Bill. Good to know that's going to work. I'm going to work on getting that connected today, but hopefully the exhaust shop will call and be able to get it in, so I want to be ready for that as well.

While I'm awaiting the call from the exhaust shop I'm loathe to take the truck apart to get the AFR meter wired in as he may be ready for it "now".

But it occurred to me that I'd missed telling y'all about part of the conversation with Ben of Core Tuning. I mentioned the initial spark setting of 13 that I'd dialed in and he said "No! Put it at 10 as the factory calls for so we can set the spark table in the computer correctly."

So I do plan to dial it back to 10. But I don't know how to properly set up the tables, and he assures me he can get the last 10 - 15% out of it. So I do plan to take the truck down to Ben and have him dial it in on the dyno. I've not gotten a note back from him, but he did say he and his wife were going fishing, so I'm not surprised.

In the interim I'll get the AFR meter hooked up and datalogging. And then, assuming I don't have a close-in date with Ben, we'll take it to Kansas to show my brother and his sons. Plus, we'll take the bucket seats up so the upholstery guy can pick them up when he comes by in May, although he won't get to them until June.

But before that trip I need to look the AFR over closely so I know we aren't running too lean in certain conditions.

Does all that make sense? Am I missing something I should do?