Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Thanks, Dane. Yes, at several points during this quest I wondered if I was going to get it figured out. But you guys helped a lot by ID'ing connectors when I couldn't figure out what they were. And the '96 EVTM, although wrong in some places, was an absolute requirement. I couldn't have made it w/o that. Plus, the label maker was a huge help. Writing on masking tape just doesn't cut it as I couldn't read the writing later.

Today's plan is to "read" the configuration in the ECU and see if, hopefully, the changes haven't been written to it. We shall see...

You've said before how much you like your P- touch.

Using it on shrink tube instead of having those annoying flags seemed like a good suggestion.

Gary, with your determination and careful organization there wasn't any doubt that you would get the EEC-V integration done. :nabble_smiley_super:

The contributions of many (small and large) only come into play when you can't see the forest for the trees.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, Dane. Yes, at several points during this quest I wondered if I was going to get it figured out. But you guys helped a lot by ID'ing connectors when I couldn't figure out what they were. And the '96 EVTM, although wrong in some places, was an absolute requirement. I couldn't have made it w/o that. Plus, the label maker was a huge help. Writing on masking tape just doesn't cut it as I couldn't read the writing later.

Today's plan is to "read" the configuration in the ECU and see if, hopefully, the changes haven't been written to it. We shall see...

Gary, when you read it, be sure to save it, I usually use the date as an ID, but whatever will make it easy to retrieve it later. You can open that and what you think was the correct configuration and do a side by side comparison.

Once you get the initial bugs out and go drive it, you can datalog the parameters you want to monitor. On Darth I have the ability to add my wideband as an input so I can see what was going on.

On the noisy rocker, shimming under it will make it looser clearance, what you probably need to do is check the clearance with the lifter collapsed against Ford's specifications. If you can pin down which one it is, it might be a bad lifter.

Allowable limits: 0.075 - 0.175 in

Desirable limits: 0.100 - 0.150 in

From AllData

You've said before how much you like your P- touch.

Using it on shrink tube instead of having those annoying flags seemed like a good suggestion.

Gary, with your determination and careful organization there wasn't any doubt that you would get the EEC-V integration done. :nabble_smiley_super:

The contributions of many (small and large) only come into play when you can't see the forest for the trees.

Yes, the P-Touch was a big help. Being able to label connectors, relays, and wires as I went meant that I could reliably look back at what I'd done and rest assured that it was correct - with a few exceptions. And the shrink tubing made it that much better.

But you are also right that I did miss the obvious from time to time. So everyone's help has been greatly appreciated. I feel like this has been a community effort. Even the "good job" comments have been a big help. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Yes, the P-Touch was a big help. Being able to label connectors, relays, and wires as I went meant that I could reliably look back at what I'd done and rest assured that it was correct - with a few exceptions. And the shrink tubing made it that much better.

But you are also right that I did miss the obvious from time to time. So everyone's help has been greatly appreciated. I feel like this has been a community effort. Even the "good job" comments have been a big help. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Atta boy!

Good job, Gary. :nabble_anim_blbl:

Gary, when you read it, be sure to save it, I usually use the date as an ID, but whatever will make it easy to retrieve it later. You can open that and what you think was the correct configuration and do a side by side comparison.

Once you get the initial bugs out and go drive it, you can datalog the parameters you want to monitor. On Darth I have the ability to add my wideband as an input so I can see what was going on.

On the noisy rocker, shimming under it will make it looser clearance, what you probably need to do is check the clearance with the lifter collapsed against Ford's specifications. If you can pin down which one it is, it might be a bad lifter.

Allowable limits: 0.075 - 0.175 in

Desirable limits: 0.100 - 0.150 in

From AllData

Thanks, Bill. I hadn't thought of saving it. Good idea, and the date is probably a good way to go for the name.

On datalogging, do you have an auto-trigger set? If so, on what and at what value?

Also, could you share what you are logging, other than the wideband? Maybe a screengrab of the logging checklist?

And yes, I hope to have my wideband as part of the logging, some day. Have to get the bung welded in and then figure out how to interface it. Apparently that's through an unused input to the ECU?

On the lifter, what I probably should have said is to remove the shim or use a smaller one. I believe each of the rocker stands was shimmed and I'm assuming I went too far with one of them. But thanks for the input. I hope to get to that level of detail soon.

Thanks, Bill. I hadn't thought of saving it. Good idea, and the date is probably a good way to go for the name.

On datalogging, do you have an auto-trigger set? If so, on what and at what value?

Also, could you share what you are logging, other than the wideband? Maybe a screengrab of the logging checklist?

And yes, I hope to have my wideband as part of the logging, some day. Have to get the bung welded in and then figure out how to interface it. Apparently that's through an unused input to the ECU?

On the lifter, what I probably should have said is to remove the shim or use a smaller one. I believe each of the rocker stands was shimmed and I'm assuming I went too far with one of them. But thanks for the input. I hope to get to that level of detail soon.

My wideband is an Innovate and has an serial ouput that goes through an adapter into a USB port on my old dual boot MacBook Pro. Open your Binary Editor and on the displays section, select hardware. First be sure you OBDII block is checked. See if your wideband is shown, if not you may need to get in touch with Core Tuning to see about using it.

On your displays panel, datalog will bring up a list, 3rd panel down, 2nd line is EVP (EGR Valve Position) and has the note it can be used for wideband.

Jim - There are at least two noises going on. The loudest is indeed a lifter. I've had that since I first started the engine after Scotty built it, but it goes away when the engine gets warm. However today, after sitting for three months, it ticked pretty loudly for quite a while - and of course the video was the first start. I think I need to pull the valve cover and shim that rocker and/or adjust the pre-load.

As for the other sound, I think the idler pulley is giving up the ghost. When David/1986F150Six was here in September he thought it was the alternator, but using a hose as a 'scope I tracked it down to that pulley. However, it doesn't seem like it is quite ready to seize so, like the lifter, I'm dealing with other issues first.

Which leads me to tomorrow. The plan is to put this tablet on the ECU and read the config. If it is as it is supposed to be with the EGR and other things turned off, then I don't know what to do. I guess then it'd be time to call Core Tuning.

And then I'll adjust the idle as Bill suggested. Perhaps even take it for a spin. IT SURE FEELS GOOD TO HAVE THE TRUCK RUNNING AGAIN!!!! :nabble_anim_jump:

Congrats Gary! Magic Marvel Mystery Oil for that lifter. Amazes me how it quiets those, though I've never had to use it in my truck. Exhaust sounds good. You fired it up sooner than I expected.

Congrats Gary! Magic Marvel Mystery Oil for that lifter. Amazes me how it quiets those, though I've never had to use it in my truck. Exhaust sounds good. You fired it up sooner than I expected.

I had a 429 with a noisy lifter, Marvel Mystery Oil for the win!