Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Bill - Thanks a bunch. Here's what I've found:

• EGR System Type: It shows as Disabled, although it red - what does red mean? I don't have the ability to set it to "2". Just Sonic, PFE, or Disabled.

Disabled, if you look in the bottom window you will see what each available value does.

• Misfire Detector: I don't have it, but my minimum was set to 5.0, not 240. So I'll set mine to 240.

240 is what Adam set mine to.

• Canister Purge: There are four settings: Canister Purge Compensation Strategy; Canister Purge Flow Test; Canister Purge Flow Threshold; & Canister Purge Test Strategy. On mine the Purge Flow Test was disabled.

One of the items you may run into, EFI systems heat the fuel significantly since it is being returned to the tank, as a result the vapor volume is a lot greater than a carburetor will generate even with the hot fuel handling package. When I pulled all the stuff off the parts truck, I had to find a longer vent pipe as the EFI system uses a 3/8" OD tube.

Now, that's what I'm seeing on my laptop. Is it possible that's not what is in the ECU?

On the idle speed, your process makes sense. Thanks, I'll do that.

Lots of other questions:

• Where do I find what the Datalog TAG's are? I can double-click the items on the dashboard and see what the TAG's are, but I'd like to change some things on the dashboard.

From what I remember they are set up when you do a datalog.

• Do the readouts for lambda seem reasonble? My understanding is that 1.00 means the AFR is 14.7.

Right?

I don't remember, but if the gauge shows in the green I believe it is where you want it.

• What do the readings for HEGO1 & 2 mean?

HEGO1 and HEGO2 are your Heated Exhaust Gas O2 sensors, 1&2.

Thanks, a bunch! I have a lot to learn.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bill - Thanks a bunch. Here's what I've found:

• EGR System Type: It shows as Disabled, although it red - what does red mean? I don't have the ability to set it to "2". Just Sonic, PFE, or Disabled.

Disabled, if you look in the bottom window you will see what each available value does.

• Misfire Detector: I don't have it, but my minimum was set to 5.0, not 240. So I'll set mine to 240.

240 is what Adam set mine to.

• Canister Purge: There are four settings: Canister Purge Compensation Strategy; Canister Purge Flow Test; Canister Purge Flow Threshold; & Canister Purge Test Strategy. On mine the Purge Flow Test was disabled.

One of the items you may run into, EFI systems heat the fuel significantly since it is being returned to the tank, as a result the vapor volume is a lot greater than a carburetor will generate even with the hot fuel handling package. When I pulled all the stuff off the parts truck, I had to find a longer vent pipe as the EFI system uses a 3/8" OD tube.

Now, that's what I'm seeing on my laptop. Is it possible that's not what is in the ECU?

On the idle speed, your process makes sense. Thanks, I'll do that.

Lots of other questions:

• Where do I find what the Datalog TAG's are? I can double-click the items on the dashboard and see what the TAG's are, but I'd like to change some things on the dashboard.

From what I remember they are set up when you do a datalog.

• Do the readouts for lambda seem reasonble? My understanding is that 1.00 means the AFR is 14.7.

Right?

I don't remember, but if the gauge shows in the green I believe it is where you want it.

• What do the readings for HEGO1 & 2 mean?

HEGO1 and HEGO2 are your Heated Exhaust Gas O2 sensors, 1&2.

Thanks, a bunch! I have a lot to learn.

Ok, the EGR system things shows this below:

Switch to select EGR strategy.

0 = Sonic,

1 = Pressure Feedback EGR (PFE)

2 = No EGR

Set to 2 to disable EGR

But my choices aren't in numbers, just Sonic, PFE, or Disabled. So I gather that BE translated Disabled to 2 and the computer reads that. Makes sense.

So, maybe my ECU hasn't been updated to match the file on my computer? And I can write the entire calibration to the hardware/ECU or I can Update, meaning just send the changes? I'll do that tomorrow.

But is there a way to see what is actually in the ECU before writing/updating?

Gary, is all that ticking from collapsed lifters or a manifold leak?

Maybe is just an artifact of whatever device you used to record this, IDK.

Excited to see Big Blue back under power with fully functioning EFI! :nabble_anim_jump:

Jim - There are at least two noises going on. The loudest is indeed a lifter. I've had that since I first started the engine after Scotty built it, but it goes away when the engine gets warm. However today, after sitting for three months, it ticked pretty loudly for quite a while - and of course the video was the first start. I think I need to pull the valve cover and shim that rocker and/or adjust the pre-load.

As for the other sound, I think the idler pulley is giving up the ghost. When David/1986F150Six was here in September he thought it was the alternator, but using a hose as a 'scope I tracked it down to that pulley. However, it doesn't seem like it is quite ready to seize so, like the lifter, I'm dealing with other issues first.

Which leads me to tomorrow. The plan is to put this tablet on the ECU and read the config. If it is as it is supposed to be with the EGR and other things turned off, then I don't know what to do. I guess then it'd be time to call Core Tuning.

And then I'll adjust the idle as Bill suggested. Perhaps even take it for a spin. IT SURE FEELS GOOD TO HAVE THE TRUCK RUNNING AGAIN!!!! :nabble_anim_jump:

Jim - There are at least two noises going on. The loudest is indeed a lifter. I've had that since I first started the engine after Scotty built it, but it goes away when the engine gets warm. However today, after sitting for three months, it ticked pretty loudly for quite a while - and of course the video was the first start. I think I need to pull the valve cover and shim that rocker and/or adjust the pre-load.

As for the other sound, I think the idler pulley is giving up the ghost. When David/1986F150Six was here in September he thought it was the alternator, but using a hose as a 'scope I tracked it down to that pulley. However, it doesn't seem like it is quite ready to seize so, like the lifter, I'm dealing with other issues first.

Which leads me to tomorrow. The plan is to put this tablet on the ECU and read the config. If it is as it is supposed to be with the EGR and other things turned off, then I don't know what to do. I guess then it'd be time to call Core Tuning.

And then I'll adjust the idle as Bill suggested. Perhaps even take it for a spin. IT SURE FEELS GOOD TO HAVE THE TRUCK RUNNING AGAIN!!!! :nabble_anim_jump:

Looks and sounds pretty good, I like the quicker starts and shutdown.

Key off = no ignition or fuel, so it stops.

Looks and sounds pretty good, I like the quicker starts and shutdown.

Key off = no ignition or fuel, so it stops.

Bob - It really DOES feel good. You'll see, again, when you take the Bronco out for the first time this year.

Bill - Yes, both the starts and the stops are quicker. That carb had two idle stop points, one of which was about 800 RPM and it did NOT want to stop running then. Amazing how the lack of fuel seems to tame that urge. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Bob - It really DOES feel good. You'll see, again, when you take the Bronco out for the first time this year.

Bill - Yes, both the starts and the stops are quicker. That carb had two idle stop points, one of which was about 800 RPM and it did NOT want to stop running then. Amazing how the lack of fuel seems to tame that urge. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Nice! That’s a lot of discombobulated wiring to straighten out! :nabble_anim_claps:

Nice! That’s a lot of discombobulated wiring to straighten out! :nabble_anim_claps:

Thanks, Dane. Yes, at several points during this quest I wondered if I was going to get it figured out. But you guys helped a lot by ID'ing connectors when I couldn't figure out what they were. And the '96 EVTM, although wrong in some places, was an absolute requirement. I couldn't have made it w/o that. Plus, the label maker was a huge help. Writing on masking tape just doesn't cut it as I couldn't read the writing later.

Today's plan is to "read" the configuration in the ECU and see if, hopefully, the changes haven't been written to it. We shall see...