Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

If it is the one I sent you it did start as a 5.8L version. They are fairly common and the automatic was either a C6 or E4OD. The E4OD one is what I am using on Darth. The actual 460 MAF/SEFI/E4OD EEC is an FEZ 0 1 2 or 3 tag number (I have one). Hardware code is ML1-441 which IDs them as V8, E4OD MAF and were also used on 5.0L applications.

I have a list of all the numbers, catch codes etc. If you would like.

I would like it, please. And I'm not sure where this one came from. I'll go see if I can figure that out... :nabble_anim_working:

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And I got it. Thanks. Maybe I can figure out what mine was originally, which might let me know if it should have the PTO function.

Well, there's good news and bad news.

First, the good news - the ECU has a catchword of YAZ3, and as shown below from Bill's file, that's from a '96 F-Series w/a 5.0L so should have the PTO function.

ECU_Catchword_Capture.jpg.23aed2b8cc33bd2727a95999feee4940.jpg

The bad news is I'M LOSING IT! I already knew what the ECU was from, as discussed in this post in EFI For Big Blue. (In my, very weak, defense that was three years ago.) :nabble_smiley_blush:

And searching the forum for YAZ3 turned up a discussion on EFI For Dad's Truck and that ECU came from Ray/NotEnoughTrucks.

Well, there's good news and bad news.

First, the good news - the ECU has a catchword of YAZ3, and as shown below from Bill's file, that's from a '96 F-Series w/a 5.0L so should have the PTO function.

The bad news is I'M LOSING IT! I already knew what the ECU was from, as discussed in this post in EFI For Big Blue. (In my, very weak, defense that was three years ago.) :nabble_smiley_blush:

And searching the forum for YAZ3 turned up a discussion on EFI For Dad's Truck and that ECU came from Ray/NotEnoughTrucks.

I wouldn't be too concerned Gary!

An awful lot has transpired, and many iterations gone by in the past 36 months.

The fact that you can stay on top of half of what you've done is both impressive and inspiring. :nabble_anim_handshake:

I wouldn't be too concerned Gary!

An awful lot has transpired, and many iterations gone by in the past 36 months.

The fact that you can stay on top of half of what you've done is both impressive and inspiring. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Jim - Thanks for that vote of confidence. Trust me, I needed it. I say that because I just found more info that I'd forgotten about.

In this post in the Borg Warner 1356 PTO Style Transfer Case [Canada] thread I found a reference to a book I have called Professional Technician's Seminar (A Service Of Standard Motor Products) 1996 Ford Engine Performance and said:

As for the PTS book, it shows pin 4 used as "PTO (M)" for all of the engines on the pickups, and it gives some voltages for testing purposes in various conditions. Further, there is a diagnostic procedure on the circuit as well as a diagram showing pin 4 to a switch and the other side of the switch going to Ignition Start/Run, meaning 12v. And, it says that the switch is "aftermarket installed", which might be why it doesn't shown in the EVTM. In addition, it says "PTO signals to the PCM that additional load is being supplied to the engine."

Well, I pulled said book off the shelf and found that there's a 200 page section on 1996 EEC-V systems. It includes theory and operation, and has a section on testing the Power Take Off (PTO) system.

I need to scan this and make it part of the site for all to use. But I'm not quite sure where to put it. And I think it'll prompt a much-needed reorg.

Do you have any suggestions?

Jim - Thanks for that vote of confidence. Trust me, I needed it. I say that because I just found more info that I'd forgotten about.

In this post in the Borg Warner 1356 PTO Style Transfer Case [Canada] thread I found a reference to a book I have called Professional Technician's Seminar (A Service Of Standard Motor Products) 1996 Ford Engine Performance and said:

As for the PTS book, it shows pin 4 used as "PTO (M)" for all of the engines on the pickups, and it gives some voltages for testing purposes in various conditions. Further, there is a diagnostic procedure on the circuit as well as a diagram showing pin 4 to a switch and the other side of the switch going to Ignition Start/Run, meaning 12v. And, it says that the switch is "aftermarket installed", which might be why it doesn't shown in the EVTM. In addition, it says "PTO signals to the PCM that additional load is being supplied to the engine."

Well, I pulled said book off the shelf and found that there's a 200 page section on 1996 EEC-V systems. It includes theory and operation, and has a section on testing the Power Take Off (PTO) system.

I need to scan this and make it part of the site for all to use. But I'm not quite sure where to put it. And I think it'll prompt a much-needed reorg.

Do you have any suggestions?

I wouldn't have a clue.

As I said, I admire your ability and motivation to document and categorize the huge volume of raw information found here.

My only question about where comes down to never being available on a Bullnose.

Obviously you and Bill aren't the only ones to have retrofitted later EEC (and the features available) to an '80-'86 truck, and we have members looking to body swap later chassis and drivetrains.

I wouldn't have a clue.

As I said, I admire your ability and motivation to document and categorize the huge volume of raw information found here.

My only question about where comes down to never being available on a Bullnose.

Obviously you and Bill aren't the only ones to have retrofitted later EEC (and the features available) to an '80-'86 truck, and we have members looking to body swap later chassis and drivetrains.

We have a lot of non-Bullnose things all through the documentation. For instance the ZF-5 or 3G pages. So the EEC-V isn't much different - just fewer of us using it.

I'm thinking of splitting the Carburetors, Chokes, & EFI section up to maybe Carburetors and then EFI. Think I'll start a new thread on that...

As for what I've done on Big Blue today, I've now tested out all of the relays and fuses in the PDB. The label tubing is "Out for delivery" and when it comes in I can finish the wiring to the ECU and tidy it up.

Plus, now that we've determined that the PTO function should be in that ECU then I'll put a connector on that wire so I can wire it up later - assuming it works. But I think I'll test it before I get too serious about installing a switch for it. Easy enough to do once the EFI system is working - just apply power to that wire.

We have a lot of non-Bullnose things all through the documentation. For instance the ZF-5 or 3G pages. So the EEC-V isn't much different - just fewer of us using it.

I'm thinking of splitting the Carburetors, Chokes, & EFI section up to maybe Carburetors and then EFI. Think I'll start a new thread on that...

As for what I've done on Big Blue today, I've now tested out all of the relays and fuses in the PDB. The label tubing is "Out for delivery" and when it comes in I can finish the wiring to the ECU and tidy it up.

Plus, now that we've determined that the PTO function should be in that ECU then I'll put a connector on that wire so I can wire it up later - assuming it works. But I think I'll test it before I get too serious about installing a switch for it. Easy enough to do once the EFI system is working - just apply power to that wire.

I've now scanned in the 228 page chapter from that book and I put it on the EEC-V tab on the page at Documentation/Electrical/Electronic Engine Control (EEC). And I've noted mentions of the PTO circuit in several places, so thought I'd capture them here, with the number being a page # reference:

• 2-42: Gives Parameter Identification (PID) values for the circuit.

• 2-49: More PID values, and I'm not sure why these are different from the previous ones.

• 2-51: Ditto

• 2-101: Shows how to implement a switch for this function and how to test it when problems arise.

• 2-167: Testing for both Circuit Test QA as well as Diagnostic Code P1000

I've now scanned in the 228 page chapter from that book and I put it on the EEC-V tab on the page at Documentation/Electrical/Electronic Engine Control (EEC). And I've noted mentions of the PTO circuit in several places, so thought I'd capture them here, with the number being a page # reference:

• 2-42: Gives Parameter Identification (PID) values for the circuit.

• 2-49: More PID values, and I'm not sure why these are different from the previous ones.

• 2-51: Ditto

• 2-101: Shows how to implement a switch for this function and how to test it when problems arise.

• 2-167: Testing for both Circuit Test QA as well as Diagnostic Code P1000

Ok, time for a picture. I was ready to say this piece of the wiring is done, but as it turns out it isn't - quite. As it turns out, the shielding isn't grounded, so I have to do that, which will be easy. And I need some larger convolute to cover the run from the ECU to the PDB, and what I saw online has a one week delivery date, which isn't to my liking. So I'll be doing some more looking.

As for what is left to do:

• Install the system and mate up all the connectors, install the grounds, and install the OBD-II connector under the dash

• Run wires from the Emissions and Low Range lights to a connector to match the one coming from the ECU

• Build the cable that will go from C110 to the O2 sensors

• Install the diode on the A/C compressor connection and connect the wire that goes back to the ECU to that

• Make a short #2 cable to go from the PDB to the Cole Hersee battery parallel relay

After that it is down to things like set the ignition timing per Bill's instructions, test fuel pressure, and see if it'll run. :nabble_smiley_beam:

Wiring_Harness_Done_-_Without_Convolute.thumb.jpg.2ccac02be3f3dd91c4742d680f844774.jpg