Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

If you mean to put G101 at the firewall where the red circle is then that makes sense. However, I'm doubting my own drawing as I don't know that there's a 4 ga wire from the block to the firewall. Maybe 4 ga? I'll have to check. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

But even if it is "only" 4 ga there are two other 4 ga grounds to the cab, one from each fender, so it should be well grounded. Given that, it might be a good idea to put it to the cab.

I tend to think of the frame, engine and body as three separate components, even though I make sure the ground straps are good.

I still see that my 4/0 ground cable goes directly to the block, and a 2/0 from there to the cross member.

I have a beefy braided strap from the windshield motor to the intake manifold bolt and another from the pinch weld below the driver to the front cab mount 'ear' of the frame.

But you have a web of grounds that are heavier than anything from the factory.

I still don't like to rely on sheet metal....

Reason #1 that I ran both ground and power back into the cab when I installed my stereo.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, I hadn't seen that! But I have now and I've sent him my address. Thanks!

And it looks like there's just a tab that holds it. Is that what you are seeing?

You're welcome!

Yep, and that's what I remember being there. I know it wasn't a massive tab, just something to retain it and that looks the part.

I worked for a power company soon out of college and they started me with the instrumentation crew. They taught me to label everything, make it neat, and crimp awa solder. So I like the idea of labeling every wire, and might do so on Big Blue.

In fact, I did use my label printer to label every wire in the harness, as shown below. But those labels make it very hard to make a neat cable, so I'd planned to take them off as I extend the wire. However, I might slip a new one one.

I tell people I'm an electrician because nobody knows what an instrumentation technician is. I worked for a company that built PLC control panels and did system integrator service, so I'm REALLY passionate about labels. And yeah I once borrowed a Brady BMP61 label printer from work to do a 4-relay control box on my 2000 4Runner for permanent wire labels. $0.50 per heat shrink label.

I'd go with the smallest size shrink tube (18-12AWG). If you don't want to concern yourself with sizing the heat shrink correctly, sometimes it's best not to use the heat gun for labels on especially small wires. Without heat, the label is flat and grips small wires. With heat, it turns round and slips off small wires.

I worked for a power company soon out of college and they started me with the instrumentation crew. They taught me to label everything, make it neat, and crimp awa solder. So I like the idea of labeling every wire, and might do so on Big Blue.

In fact, I did use my label printer to label every wire in the harness, as shown below. But those labels make it very hard to make a neat cable, so I'd planned to take them off as I extend the wire. However, I might slip a new one one.

I tell people I'm an electrician because nobody knows what an instrumentation technician is. I worked for a company that built PLC control panels and did system integrator service, so I'm REALLY passionate about labels. And yeah I once borrowed a Brady BMP61 label printer from work to do a 4-relay control box on my 2000 4Runner for permanent wire labels. $0.50 per heat shrink label.

I'd go with the smallest size shrink tube (18-12AWG). If you don't want to concern yourself with sizing the heat shrink correctly, sometimes it's best not to use the heat gun for labels on especially small wires. Without heat, the label is flat and grips small wires. With heat, it turns round and slips off small wires.

Jim - Yes, I have a web of grounds with every panel grounded in several ways. But, like you, I want to ensure there is no noise on the ECU's grounds so will look things over closely to see what appears to be the cleanest way to do it.

Shaun - Yes, it shouldn't take much to hold the ECU in the bracket, so that tab is surely enough. But if the tab doesn't hold it tightly I may put a piece of foam tape on the bracket to ensure things won't rattle.

tcbaklash - Sorry, can't remember your name. Anyway, I certainly know what an instrumentation tech is. Spent many months learning how to do that before our first Supervisory Control & Data Acquisition system came in, which was to become my baby. So I both understood how the data and control systems used to work as well as how to tie into them with the new SCADA system.

As for what tubing to use, I did order the smallest. But hadn't thought about how to use it on really small wire. Leaving it flat makes sense, but I was expecting to put a piece of regular heat shrink on the wire first and then put the label on that. I like placing the label near the terminal and I always use adhesive-lined heat shrink on my terminals to insulate awa to support my soldered connection.

However, on the ECU all of the pins are factory-terminated so there's no heat shrink. And I don't want to de-pin the connector just to put a label on, so I'll slip the label on the wire before I connect the black extension, and then shrink it where it won't be preventing the wire from bending.

That will make it easier to ring-out the wiring. I intend to test each circuit to the ECU individually to ensure everything is correct before connecting the ECU and applying power. I think I have it wired correctly, but I want to make 100% SURE.

Anyway, I certainly know what an instrumentation tech is. Spent many months learning how to do that before our first Supervisory Control & Data Acquisition system came in, which was to become my baby. So I both understood how the data and control systems used to work as well as how to tie into them with the new SCADA system.

I'm halfway in between wishing I paid more attention in trade school when we were learning PLC/SCADA/DCS and facing the realization that now working in maintenance and having these skills will get me pigeon-holed into doing only PLC and SCADA at my plant. The boss is sending me to Rockwell PLC training and then I'm supposed to replace a guy with 20 years experience who is retiring. Such is life.

I certainly know what an instrumentation tech is. Spent many months learning how to do that before our first Supervisory Control & Data Acquisition system came in, which was to become my baby. So I both understood how the data and control systems used to work as well as how to tie into them with the new SCADA system.

This sort of stuff really tweaks the geek in me! 🤓

Wait, was this in Pocona or Wilmington?

I've got to assume that we're talking about the period when CDC was transitioning from a data center model to creating bespoke hardware for their clients.

Regardless, you've had a very interesting life on the forefront of a revolution.

I certainly know what an instrumentation tech is. Spent many months learning how to do that before our first Supervisory Control & Data Acquisition system came in, which was to become my baby. So I both understood how the data and control systems used to work as well as how to tie into them with the new SCADA system.

This sort of stuff really tweaks the geek in me! 🤓

Wait, was this in Pocona or Wilmington?

I've got to assume that we're talking about the period when CDC was transitioning from a data center model to creating bespoke hardware for their clients.

Regardless, you've had a very interesting life on the forefront of a revolution.

Tcbaklash - Learning's good. You’ll do well with PLC. Those things came out after I was past the education stage of my career and I missed learning about them. However, my powder coating oven has one and I read up on how it works. Pretty slick.

Jim - I didn’t work with CDC on SCADA. My first system was from an outfit called Moore Systems in Sunnyvale, and it controlled the substations. They used DEC computers, and I spent a bit of time in Marlborough.

The next system, to control the generators, was from Honeywell and they made their own computers.

But later I did work with CDC. Conoco used their computers for exploration calculations and I was responsible for the networking. So I had to learn about their Network Access Devices.

• 2 weeks later...

Tcbaklash - Learning's good. You’ll do well with PLC. Those things came out after I was past the education stage of my career and I missed learning about them. However, my powder coating oven has one and I read up on how it works. Pretty slick.

Jim - I didn’t work with CDC on SCADA. My first system was from an outfit called Moore Systems in Sunnyvale, and it controlled the substations. They used DEC computers, and I spent a bit of time in Marlborough.

The next system, to control the generators, was from Honeywell and they made their own computers.

But later I did work with CDC. Conoco used their computers for exploration calculations and I was responsible for the networking. So I had to learn about their Network Access Devices.

Well, as some of you know I've returned from a 3 week trip to see my kids and grand kids. But along the way I was ordering and acquiring things for Big Blue's transformation so I'd be ready to hit the ground running when I got home. And here's a run down on them:

Wire: I got in 500' of #16 wire with which to extend the ECU harness.

Heat Shrink: I ordered both another kit of assorted sizes of black adhesive-lined heat shrink as well as a spool of black-on-white labeling heat shrink. I'll have to test the ability to print those labels, but as the roll is pretty short I already know I need to figure out how to prevent the printer from wasting ~3/4" of material between each label.

Seats: Chad/Littlebeefy gave me a pair of Bronco bucket seats, and we drove through Atlanta to meet him and pick them up. There's a pic below of the seats, but I'm going to post more about them in the Bucket Seat or Captain's Chair Mounting Musings thread as I've discovered a couple of things that puzzle me.

First, the fore/aft bolt hole spacing on the mounting points for these seats is 13" where it is 12 1/2" on the captain's chairs I have. That's not a problem as I think there's enough room to drill another hole in the sliders, but I wonder if this is normal.

Second, I had the captain's chairs mounted improperly when I had them in Big Blue. In looking at the illustrations from the MPC (Documentation/Interior/Seats & Seat Tracks) it looks like the driver's side is the only one with adjustment tracks. And the passenger's side is the only one with the wedges that tilt the seat back a bit. Instead I had adjustment tracks and wedges on both seats.

So I'm going to have to do some more thinking, measuring, and testing before I figure out how I want to mount these seats. But I am going to take them to the upholstery shop soon to have them completely redone, including new foam.

Bucket_Seats_-_Front.thumb.jpg.e55381c2da3bf6353c416d588ba9ca6d.jpg

ECU Bracket: David found an ECU bracket for $18, but it didn't have the necessary tab that holds the ECU to the bracket. But then Shaun pointed out that Mark was offering an ECU with a bracket that included the tab, so Mark sent that to me.

I've trial-fitted the bracket up under the dash and will need to remove the instrument bezel in order to get it fully into position and bolted down, but it looks like it is going to work nicely.

Here's a shot of both sides of the two brackets, and in the left pic you can see the tab on the lower right of the right one, which is the one from Mark. The left pic shows the front of the bracket and the right pic is the rear of the bracket. I think the arm that sticks up in the left pic bolts to the firewall where the dash brace bolts, and the tab that sticks up at the bottom of the right pic screws to the dash where the speed control bracket attaches.

ECU_Brackets_-_Front.thumb.jpg.779e44e9a4c40ffcd57c63eb64adcb1a.jpgECU_Brackets_-_Back.thumb.jpg.c3d4d77d0a0d58fecb64f98ec6ef4e2a.jpg

Well, as some of you know I've returned from a 3 week trip to see my kids and grand kids. But along the way I was ordering and acquiring things for Big Blue's transformation so I'd be ready to hit the ground running when I got home. And here's a run down on them:

Wire: I got in 500' of #16 wire with which to extend the ECU harness.

Heat Shrink: I ordered both another kit of assorted sizes of black adhesive-lined heat shrink as well as a spool of black-on-white labeling heat shrink. I'll have to test the ability to print those labels, but as the roll is pretty short I already know I need to figure out how to prevent the printer from wasting ~3/4" of material between each label.

Seats: Chad/Littlebeefy gave me a pair of Bronco bucket seats, and we drove through Atlanta to meet him and pick them up. There's a pic below of the seats, but I'm going to post more about them in the Bucket Seat or Captain's Chair Mounting Musings thread as I've discovered a couple of things that puzzle me.

First, the fore/aft bolt hole spacing on the mounting points for these seats is 13" where it is 12 1/2" on the captain's chairs I have. That's not a problem as I think there's enough room to drill another hole in the sliders, but I wonder if this is normal.

Second, I had the captain's chairs mounted improperly when I had them in Big Blue. In looking at the illustrations from the MPC (Documentation/Interior/Seats & Seat Tracks) it looks like the driver's side is the only one with adjustment tracks. And the passenger's side is the only one with the wedges that tilt the seat back a bit. Instead I had adjustment tracks and wedges on both seats.

So I'm going to have to do some more thinking, measuring, and testing before I figure out how I want to mount these seats. But I am going to take them to the upholstery shop soon to have them completely redone, including new foam.

ECU Bracket: David found an ECU bracket for $18, but it didn't have the necessary tab that holds the ECU to the bracket. But then Shaun pointed out that Mark was offering an ECU with a bracket that included the tab, so Mark sent that to me.

I've trial-fitted the bracket up under the dash and will need to remove the instrument bezel in order to get it fully into position and bolted down, but it looks like it is going to work nicely.

Here's a shot of both sides of the two brackets, and in the left pic you can see the tab on the lower right of the right one, which is the one from Mark. The left pic shows the front of the bracket and the right pic is the rear of the bracket. I think the arm that sticks up in the left pic bolts to the firewall where the dash brace bolts, and the tab that sticks up at the bottom of the right pic screws to the dash where the speed control bracket attaches.

Today I made notable progress, and tomorrow I start the wiring. :nabble_anim_jump:

The progress was in getting the ECU's bracket installed, which wasn't quite as easy as I'd hoped. The issue was that the top end of the dash support rod attaches to the same spot as the ECU bracket does. And that won't work as the rod is quite thick.

In the pic below, which is taken looking directly up under the dash, it looks to me like the plan was to have a shorter support rod that would attach to the ECU bracket where the round spot is in the side of the bracket. But there's no such thing in the MPC, just the one that all the trucks use.

I thought about shortening the rod and attaching it there, but the ECU bracket isn't nearly as strong as the rod, so I came up with another plan. In the red circle you can see a SHCS that goes through the ECU's bracket, through the flange of the cab where the support rod normally attaches, and then has two nuts on the back side which act as spacers to get the rod out past the edge of the flange. A washer and a nyloc nut on top of that plus a slight tweak of the rod made things line up quite nicely. But it is really fiddly to get all of that done up under the dash.

ECU_Bracket__Dash_Support_Installed.thumb.jpg.c4046315faf221d0750ed468c585790c.jpg

And with that done I installed the ECU. It is in such that when the connector is pulled Pin 1 is in the upper left corner, making it easier to ID the pins. And since I'm going to test every circuit before I fire this thing up, I want it to be easy to find the right pin.

ECU_Installed_In_Dash.thumb.jpg.6a0c12b8a5858718999a70235d19e80f.jpg

With that done I put the PDB in place, attached the connector to the ECU, and did some measuring. Turns out the wires from the ECU were cut right at the firewall, which made measuring easier as all of it was then done under the hood. And it looks like it is 24" from the ends of the wires to the hole, so I'm going to make the extensions 36".

Given that I put everything on the bench with 36" between the ends of the shortest wires and I'm ready to start wiring!

Ready_To_Start_Wire_Extension.thumb.jpg.e71ef08b47b1b79cbc6b08f9bb8d89cf.jpg

Today I made notable progress, and tomorrow I start the wiring. :nabble_anim_jump:

The progress was in getting the ECU's bracket installed, which wasn't quite as easy as I'd hoped. The issue was that the top end of the dash support rod attaches to the same spot as the ECU bracket does. And that won't work as the rod is quite thick.

In the pic below, which is taken looking directly up under the dash, it looks to me like the plan was to have a shorter support rod that would attach to the ECU bracket where the round spot is in the side of the bracket. But there's no such thing in the MPC, just the one that all the trucks use.

I thought about shortening the rod and attaching it there, but the ECU bracket isn't nearly as strong as the rod, so I came up with another plan. In the red circle you can see a SHCS that goes through the ECU's bracket, through the flange of the cab where the support rod normally attaches, and then has two nuts on the back side which act as spacers to get the rod out past the edge of the flange. A washer and a nyloc nut on top of that plus a slight tweak of the rod made things line up quite nicely. But it is really fiddly to get all of that done up under the dash.

And with that done I installed the ECU. It is in such that when the connector is pulled Pin 1 is in the upper left corner, making it easier to ID the pins. And since I'm going to test every circuit before I fire this thing up, I want it to be easy to find the right pin.

With that done I put the PDB in place, attached the connector to the ECU, and did some measuring. Turns out the wires from the ECU were cut right at the firewall, which made measuring easier as all of it was then done under the hood. And it looks like it is 24" from the ends of the wires to the hole, so I'm going to make the extensions 36".

Given that I put everything on the bench with 36" between the ends of the shortest wires and I'm ready to start wiring!

Looks just about how I remember it being, nice and in the way. :nabble_smiley_good: