Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Man, I'm glad you said that. I was assuming ID. I was just watching their video, which I can't seen to share, and was thinking that I need to write down the sizes. Now I know I need to do that and figure out what I need.

Well, the spools are based on tape width.

You can imagine the shrink tube needs to be flattened before it's wound up.

Also it is thicker that a regular label so there is less on a spool.

This makes it even more expensive that it might seem.

But you might imagine having all the wires permanently labeled in an electrical panel is just a tiny cost in comparison to the whole job (and good peace of mind!)

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, the spools are based on tape width.

You can imagine the shrink tube needs to be flattened before it's wound up.

Also it is thicker that a regular label so there is less on a spool.

This makes it even more expensive that it might seem.

But you might imagine having all the wires permanently labeled in an electrical panel is just a tiny cost in comparison to the whole job (and good peace of mind!)

I worked for a power company soon out of college and they started me with the instrumentation crew. They taught me to label everything, make it neat, and crimp awa solder. So I like the idea of labeling every wire, and might do so on Big Blue.

In fact, I did use my label printer to label every wire in the harness, as shown below. But those labels make it very hard to make a neat cable, so I'd planned to take them off as I extend the wire. However, I might slip a new one one. :nabble_smiley_wink:

EFI_Harness_Taking_Shape.thumb.jpg.89c5bd8b1545a1cd9d69b931bb703b11.jpg

So I've done some :nabble_anim_working: and have worked up the table below based on the Fimax label tubing I found on Amazon awa some info I found in various places on the diameter of wire with insulation. But what this doesn't include is any shrink tubing I might have on right at the terminal.

My rationale for the minimum wire size is that the tubing needs to shrink down at least as small as the wire. And on the maximum, the tubing needs to be able to slide onto the wire before shrinking.

Anyway, with what I'm finding I think I should order #211. Thoughts?

Shrink_Tubing_Labels.jpg.65a0633ed12fc4d811863807bfdcce19.jpg

I worked for a power company soon out of college and they started me with the instrumentation crew. They taught me to label everything, make it neat, and crimp awa solder. So I like the idea of labeling every wire, and might do so on Big Blue.

In fact, I did use my label printer to label every wire in the harness, as shown below. But those labels make it very hard to make a neat cable, so I'd planned to take them off as I extend the wire. However, I might slip a new one one. :nabble_smiley_wink:

So I've done some :nabble_anim_working: and have worked up the table below based on the Fimax label tubing I found on Amazon awa some info I found in various places on the diameter of wire with insulation. But what this doesn't include is any shrink tubing I might have on right at the terminal.

My rationale for the minimum wire size is that the tubing needs to shrink down at least as small as the wire. And on the maximum, the tubing needs to be able to slide onto the wire before shrinking.

Anyway, with what I'm finding I think I should order #211. Thoughts?

I find flags annoying unless I'm trying to bundle multiple wires.

And even then they are annoying but at least they have a function....

I really don't know which size would best suit.

IIRC you have quite a few heavy gauge wires in your harnii.

I find flags annoying unless I'm trying to bundle multiple wires.

And even then they are annoying but at least they have a function....

I really don't know which size would best suit.

IIRC you have quite a few heavy gauge wires in your harnii.

Jein. There aren't many heavy wires in the ones going to/from the ECU. Most of the power wires, like to O2 sensor heaters (B on the schematic below) and injectors (M) come directly from the PCM Power Relay.

But I think the two red wires that power the ECU, as shown below, might be bigger so I plan to run the same size wire that Ford used, just stripped out of another harness. (Unfortunately the other harness is for EEC-IV and doesn't have all of the right color wires, and those it does have aren't really long enough.)

But the five grounds that go to G101 are probably #16 so the wire I'm using will be fine for that. Ford realized that the ECU sinks a lot more current than it truly uses.

Engine_Controls_-_7.thumb.jpg.e0094302778eb5951130f07007a355ed.jpg

Speaking of which, G101 was out under the hood and case ground, G104, was on the firewall. I've planned on using the same approach, but my G101 will be to the driver's side fender where the aux battery grounds. But I used the frame for the ground for the inverter, with the inverter's ground going to the frame right below the back of the cab and then through the #2 cable from the frame to the aux battery, as shown below. And I've been planning to put G101 where the #4 gauge cable attaches to the driver's fender.

Thoughts?

Power_Wiring.thumb.jpg.471ac5112f2b6151b894e54faecbacdb.jpg

Jein. There aren't many heavy wires in the ones going to/from the ECU. Most of the power wires, like to O2 sensor heaters (B on the schematic below) and injectors (M) come directly from the PCM Power Relay.

But I think the two red wires that power the ECU, as shown below, might be bigger so I plan to run the same size wire that Ford used, just stripped out of another harness. (Unfortunately the other harness is for EEC-IV and doesn't have all of the right color wires, and those it does have aren't really long enough.)

But the five grounds that go to G101 are probably #16 so the wire I'm using will be fine for that. Ford realized that the ECU sinks a lot more current than it truly uses.

Speaking of which, G101 was out under the hood and case ground, G104, was on the firewall. I've planned on using the same approach, but my G101 will be to the driver's side fender where the aux battery grounds. But I used the frame for the ground for the inverter, with the inverter's ground going to the frame right below the back of the cab and then through the #2 cable from the frame to the aux battery, as shown below. And I've been planning to put G101 where the #4 gauge cable attaches to the driver's fender.

Thoughts?

#4 at the front or the back?...

I've always seen the ECU grounded right at the negative battery terminal. But in your case you have two batteries and multiple grounds, so it seems safe.

Pretty sure Ford did it direct so there couldn't be any sketchy connections and any corrosion or resistance would be right in your face if you took a glance at the battery.

#4 at the front or the back?...

I've always seen the ECU grounded right at the negative battery terminal. But in your case you have two batteries and multiple grounds, so it seems safe.

Pretty sure Ford did it direct so there couldn't be any sketchy connections and any corrosion or resistance would be right in your face if you took a glance at the battery.

For the 1996 CA-spec EEC-V systems G101 was on the driver's firewall. I can tell that from both the EVTM and the wires all coming together and to a ring-tongue that would have to go there. And since I have a very solid ground right where that terminal would easily go, I thought I'd put it there.

As I think about it, there is no load on that wire. The only loads that use the aux battery are:

• Inverter: As said, it grounds via the frame and the #2 wire from it to the aux battery

• Winch: It has its own ground that goes directly to the battery

So I think I'll be fine. But to answer your question, it'll go on the fender where the green circle is:

G101.thumb.jpg.671a3e539771fffc73c8d9799644b80b.jpg

For the 1996 CA-spec EEC-V systems G101 was on the driver's firewall. I can tell that from both the EVTM and the wires all coming together and to a ring-tongue that would have to go there. And since I have a very solid ground right where that terminal would easily go, I thought I'd put it there.

As I think about it, there is no load on that wire. The only loads that use the aux battery are:

• Inverter: As said, it grounds via the frame and the #2 wire from it to the aux battery

• Winch: It has its own ground that goes directly to the battery

So I think I'll be fine. But to answer your question, it'll go on the fender where the green circle is:

I honestly think I'd prefer G101 (this is under the wiper motor?) with a 2Ga path through the block than have my injector pulses daisy chain around, and back to the starting battery.

I work on clapped out rusty junk and you have a garagemahal.

My climate, expectations and reality are not the same as yours

I honestly think I'd prefer G101 (this is under the wiper motor?) with a 2Ga path through the block than have my injector pulses daisy chain around, and back to the starting battery.

I work on clapped out rusty junk and you have a garagemahal.

My climate, expectations and reality are not the same as yours

If you mean to put G101 at the firewall where the red circle is then that makes sense. However, I'm doubting my own drawing as I don't know that there's a 4 ga wire from the block to the firewall. Maybe 4 ga? I'll have to check. http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/thinking-26_orig.jpg

But even if it is "only" 4 ga there are two other 4 ga grounds to the cab, one from each fender, so it should be well grounded. Given that, it might be a good idea to put it to the cab.

G101_at_Firewall.thumb.jpg.fe3b69776d76889a15b05eb0c605a658.jpg

If you mean to put G101 at the firewall where the red circle is then that makes sense. However, I'm doubting my own drawing as I don't know that there's a 4 ga wire from the block to the firewall. Maybe 4 ga? I'll have to check. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

But even if it is "only" 4 ga there are two other 4 ga grounds to the cab, one from each fender, so it should be well grounded. Given that, it might be a good idea to put it to the cab.

Gary, didja see this in the classifieds? Looks like he has an intact bracket WITH the tab that you are missing.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/EEC-if-you-need-tp115514.html