Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I'm not convinced it is on the LH apron. I tend to remember it on the RH apron. I went out last evening to look on the LH side and didn't find it. Today I'll look on the RH side as well. But I'm pretty sure it is on the RH side given the wiring for the PDB on that side, shown below, as F1 supplies power to the inertia switch.

If it is on the RH side that will change my plans a bit. Not quite sure what I'll do...

Bummer! Yes, C144 is on the passenger's fender liner. :nabble_smiley_sad:

So I'm working on Plan C. Or is it E, or Z?

C144_-_Passengers_Side.thumb.jpg.ed9e08005a49d886dac2ad2e9587b669.jpg

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bummer! Yes, C144 is on the passenger's fender liner. :nabble_smiley_sad:

So I'm working on Plan C. Or is it E, or Z?

Ok, here's Plan C. But let me 'splain, and to do so I've included the "before" circuit first.

I need to get to the circuit going to the inertia switch and I don't want to run another wire across the radiator support nor the firewall. But after thinking about it, since there's no longer a need for the resistance wire in the pump circuit there's no longer a need for the feed from Fuse Link T that's hot in Start, and that PK/BK wire does run across the radiator support.

So I'll use it to come back from the inertia switch and use the yellow wire, which also feeds the inertia switch to connect to the new fuel pressure relay.

What am I missing?

Combined_Pages_27-1_and_105.thumb.jpg.ec10e9ea49c4b3367e0a672ac4afc825.jpg

EFI_Fuel_Pump_Control_-_Plan_C.thumb.jpg.d1f172f06b1e9e84128b331331b41e85.jpg

Ok, here's Plan C. But let me 'splain, and to do so I've included the "before" circuit first.

I need to get to the circuit going to the inertia switch and I don't want to run another wire across the radiator support nor the firewall. But after thinking about it, since there's no longer a need for the resistance wire in the pump circuit there's no longer a need for the feed from Fuse Link T that's hot in Start, and that PK/BK wire does run across the radiator support.

So I'll use it to come back from the inertia switch and use the yellow wire, which also feeds the inertia switch to connect to the new fuel pressure relay.

What am I missing?

I don't thing you're missing anything. First, the inertia switch for the 1992-96/7 trucks is in the right side kick panel area and the wiring to it is part of the dash harness (note it goes through C202) from what I remember the circuit is FPR to inertia switch, to tank selector switch to selected tank.

I would take the pair of yellow wires, pass them back through the firewall and put the inertia switch where it is in series between the FPR and the tank selector relay feed (both of which are on the left side of the truck now). You could probably delete the relay if you wanted to run the pump feed wires to the switch, but keeping the relay may be simpler.

I don't thing you're missing anything. First, the inertia switch for the 1992-96/7 trucks is in the right side kick panel area and the wiring to it is part of the dash harness (note it goes through C202) from what I remember the circuit is FPR to inertia switch, to tank selector switch to selected tank.

I would take the pair of yellow wires, pass them back through the firewall and put the inertia switch where it is in series between the FPR and the tank selector relay feed (both of which are on the left side of the truck now). You could probably delete the relay if you wanted to run the pump feed wires to the switch, but keeping the relay may be simpler.

Thanks!

I'd thought about moving the inertia switch as you are suggesting, but it doesn't appear to be sealed and that's probably why Ford put it in the cab - even as late as '97.

So I'm happy making the connections over at C144 to the PK/BK and Y wires and using the existing runs.

Thanks!

I'd thought about moving the inertia switch as you are suggesting, but it doesn't appear to be sealed and that's probably why Ford put it in the cab - even as late as '97.

So I'm happy making the connections over at C144 to the PK/BK and Y wires and using the existing runs.

I wasn't talking about physically moving the switch, just the wiring. It goes through the firewall under the HVAC casing. Pull it through to the inside so you can tap the DG/Y wire near the EEC connector (C1027) for the relay output and run it through the firewall with the rest of the EEC to engine wiring and to the PK/B-H wire going to the tank selector relay common (would be 30 on a Bosch relay).

Primary reason for leaving it where it is, that's where the owner's manual shows it.

I wasn't talking about physically moving the switch, just the wiring. It goes through the firewall under the HVAC casing. Pull it through to the inside so you can tap the DG/Y wire near the EEC connector (C1027) for the relay output and run it through the firewall with the rest of the EEC to engine wiring and to the PK/B-H wire going to the tank selector relay common (would be 30 on a Bosch relay).

Primary reason for leaving it where it is, that's where the owner's manual shows it.

Ahhh! Now I understand.

As for the primary reason for leaving it, I'd say it is neck and neck between that's where the owner's manual says it is and ease of doing it. I just have to make the one change on the passenger's side and the change on the driver's side and I'm done. Lots easier than fishing wires out of the run across the radiator and then running them through the firewall. At least it seems so to me.

Anyway, here's the progress report. I got the speed control wired up, including the brake pressure switch and the VSS wires connected to C727.

Then I popped some convolute on temporarily, mainly to help organize things. And here's what it looks like. It may still look like a mess to the rest of you, but it looks like progress to me. :nabble_smiley_wink:

EFI_PDB_-_Feb_28.thumb.jpg.9b955bf8ea1c92d782f18bd1207684d8.jpg

Ahhh! Now I understand.

As for the primary reason for leaving it, I'd say it is neck and neck between that's where the owner's manual says it is and ease of doing it. I just have to make the one change on the passenger's side and the change on the driver's side and I'm done. Lots easier than fishing wires out of the run across the radiator and then running them through the firewall. At least it seems so to me.

Anyway, here's the progress report. I got the speed control wired up, including the brake pressure switch and the VSS wires connected to C727.

Then I popped some convolute on temporarily, mainly to help organize things. And here's what it looks like. It may still look like a mess to the rest of you, but it looks like progress to me. :nabble_smiley_wink:

To quote Jim "Progress is good." It does sound a bit convoluted to me though. :nabble_smiley_happy: The convolute is a nice item to have, it flexes nicely and is easy to add or subtract wires from.

To quote Jim "Progress is good." It does sound a bit convoluted to me though. :nabble_smiley_happy: The convolute is a nice item to have, it flexes nicely and is easy to add or subtract wires from.

I miss Jim! :nabble_smiley_cry:

And yes, it is a bit convoluted. I put it on to allow me to move the whole thing around a bit. When I put the whole mess in a couple of days ago things got all twisted and it took a while today to sort them out. So the convolute will, hopefully, let me test-fit it so I can figure out how long each wire should be and then pull it out to make the connections on the work table.

I miss Jim! :nabble_smiley_cry:

And yes, it is a bit convoluted. I put it on to allow me to move the whole thing around a bit. When I put the whole mess in a couple of days ago things got all twisted and it took a while today to sort them out. So the convolute will, hopefully, let me test-fit it so I can figure out how long each wire should be and then pull it out to make the connections on the work table.

Well, things aren't going to be very convoluted for long - I ran out of the stuff today! :nabble_smiley_cry:

But I did make some progress in spite of it being a short day due to a doctor's checkup - I passed.

I got the wires connected to both C321 and C325. And I got things organized a bit more. As shown below, what is left is to put a few more connectors on, and then I'll tackle the mess of wires just to the right from bottom center. Those go through the firewall to the ECU awa the horn pad and brake connections.

One step at a time...

EFI_PDB_-_Mar_1.thumb.jpg.f84b7c735aa3f34e4be66b6aea48affa.jpg

Well, things aren't going to be very convoluted for long - I ran out of the stuff today! :nabble_smiley_cry:

But I did make some progress in spite of it being a short day due to a doctor's checkup - I passed.

I got the wires connected to both C321 and C325. And I got things organized a bit more. As shown below, what is left is to put a few more connectors on, and then I'll tackle the mess of wires just to the right from bottom center. Those go through the firewall to the ECU awa the horn pad and brake connections.

One step at a time...

Whew!!! :nabble_sarcastic-23_orig: