Big Blue's Transformation

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great! Thanks.
Bill - I need some help. I've gone through the pinouts that you gave me some time ago and found that they don't always match what I have nor what's in the '96 EVTM - for either a 5.0L nor a CA-spec 460.

Below is the modified spreadsheet and it shows the differences. Green indicates a match and yellow a difference. Can you help me understand why they are different? I'm going to be pulling wires I'm not using out of the connector so need to get it right.

Bill - I need some help. I've gone through the pinouts that you gave me some time ago and found that they don't always match what I have nor what's in the '96 EVTM - for either a 5.0L nor a CA-spec 460.

Below is the modified spreadsheet and it shows the differences. Green indicates a match and yellow a difference. Can you help me understand why they are different? I'm going to be pulling wires I'm not using out of the connector so need to get it right.

Gary, I have no idea where you got those pin numbers, but here is C1027 and it's circuit list from AllData:1996_C1027.jpg.ae04bf35cacf204ae6892f6f6e1e0859.jpg1996_460_EEC_connector.jpg.423f3475c9d08ef693973f787706384b.jpgCircuit 511 is primarily to let the computer know the brakes are applied to unlock the converter clutch You don't need it on BB but will on Dad's Truck.

Gary, I have no idea where you got those pin numbers, but here is C1027 and it's circuit list from AllData:

Circuit 511 is primarily to let the computer know the brakes are applied to unlock the converter clutch You don't need it on BB but will on Dad's Truck.

Thanks, Bill. As said in the email, your pages are identical to the 1996 EVTM page. In fact, I'm sure that's where the AllData came from.

But I don't know where I got the other pinouts. I thought they came from you, but I guess not.

Anyway, I compared every pin from the 1996 5.0L, which was MAF and SEFI if I remember correctly, to the 1996 CA 460, and they are the same with but two exceptions:

• Pin 4: The 5.0L has it and it is marked "Customer Use". The 460 doesn't have it in the EVTM, but my connector had it so I left it. From what I've read it increases the idle speed for PTO use, and if it works it might be really good for crawling in the mountains.

• Pin 84: The 5.0L has it as Output Shaft Speed Sensor (OSS), but the 460 doesn't.

So, having confirmed that I know what was what I pulled about 2 dozen wires out of the PCM connector, the ones I don't need. And then I went through and labeled each one of them as well as sorted them into three bundles: those going through the firewall; those staying in the cab; and grounds. You can see those three in the pic below, with the through-the-firewall bundle to the left and consisting of 34 wires, and the in-the-cab wires to the right.

However, in the group to the right is Brake On/Off (BOO), and it also needs to go through the firewall to the speed control. But it also needs to connect to the clutch switch. So with that and a few more, like the horn pad switch wires, I'm guessing I'll only have about 38 wires going through the firewall. I thought there was going to be 50, and since I have to connect all of them with two solder joints each, I'm happy! :nabble_smiley_wink:

PCM_Connector_Ready.thumb.jpg.9a8cbcd2498c68f803b7bab747066a34.jpg

Thanks, Bill. As said in the email, your pages are identical to the 1996 EVTM page. In fact, I'm sure that's where the AllData came from.

But I don't know where I got the other pinouts. I thought they came from you, but I guess not.

Anyway, I compared every pin from the 1996 5.0L, which was MAF and SEFI if I remember correctly, to the 1996 CA 460, and they are the same with but two exceptions:

• Pin 4: The 5.0L has it and it is marked "Customer Use". The 460 doesn't have it in the EVTM, but my connector had it so I left it. From what I've read it increases the idle speed for PTO use, and if it works it might be really good for crawling in the mountains.

• Pin 84: The 5.0L has it as Output Shaft Speed Sensor (OSS), but the 460 doesn't.

So, having confirmed that I know what was what I pulled about 2 dozen wires out of the PCM connector, the ones I don't need. And then I went through and labeled each one of them as well as sorted them into three bundles: those going through the firewall; those staying in the cab; and grounds. You can see those three in the pic below, with the through-the-firewall bundle to the left and consisting of 34 wires, and the in-the-cab wires to the right.

However, in the group to the right is Brake On/Off (BOO), and it also needs to go through the firewall to the speed control. But it also needs to connect to the clutch switch. So with that and a few more, like the horn pad switch wires, I'm guessing I'll only have about 38 wires going through the firewall. I thought there was going to be 50, and since I have to connect all of them with two solder joints each, I'm happy! :nabble_smiley_wink:

OSS is for the 4R75W transmission, the E4OD has a Coast Clutch which the 4R75W does not. As far as I have been able to determine the "customer use" probably is a PTO feature for raising the RPM.

OSS is for the 4R75W transmission, the E4OD has a Coast Clutch which the 4R75W does not. As far as I have been able to determine the "customer use" probably is a PTO feature for raising the RPM.

Bill - That fits with what I read in the EVTM. Apparently the 4R75W wasn't available with those 460's but was with the 5.0L

As for the Customer Use pin, I've been doing some research and I'll document what I find here:

• This page on WildHorses says:

But back to the '96 EEC...

Its most-curious feature is the addition of an input that disables emissions monitoring (only on V8s), called "customer use". It's for trucks that spend a long time idling, or at high-idle (like wreckers) driving a PTO. It took me a few years of research to find out what it did & how to connect it, but I eventually put that info into this caption:

And that lead to the next item:

• This page on Supermotors says:

The '96 V8 "Customer Use" pin #4 (323 LB/Y) is for a PTO indicator light circuit to change EEC strategies & self-diagnostics for stationary hi-RPM use.

https://fordbbas.com/non-html/1997/c24_25_p.pdf

POWER TAKE-OFF CIRCUIT INSTALLATIONS REQUIRES:

1) VOLTAGE WHEN PTO IS OPERATING

2) VOLTAGE OFF WHEN PTO IS OFF, OR WHEN IGNITION IS OFF

3) PCM / PTO CIRCUIT MUST BE ELECTRICALLY ISOLATED FROM THE SOLENOID, OR PCM DAMAGE COULD RESULT

1. Splice circuit 640, R/Y, located on the driver side under the instrument panel, labeled "Power Take-Off Circuit," to the body builder installed wire that connects to the positive side of the PTO indicator switch or PTO control relay.

2. Splice circuit 323, LB/Y, located on the driver side underhood, labeled "Power Take-Off Circuit," to the body builder-installed wire that connects to the positive (Switched) side of the PTO indicator light.

Failure to properly connect this wire may result in erroneous emissions codes and illumination of the "Check Engine" light during PTO operation.

In electrically actuated systems, the wire labeled "Power Take-Off Circuit," must be isolated from the solenoid or PCM DAMAGE COULD RESULT.

Bill - That fits with what I read in the EVTM. Apparently the 4R75W wasn't available with those 460's but was with the 5.0L

As for the Customer Use pin, I've been doing some research and I'll document what I find here:

• This page on WildHorses says:

But back to the '96 EEC...

Its most-curious feature is the addition of an input that disables emissions monitoring (only on V8s), called "customer use". It's for trucks that spend a long time idling, or at high-idle (like wreckers) driving a PTO. It took me a few years of research to find out what it did & how to connect it, but I eventually put that info into this caption:

And that lead to the next item:

• This page on Supermotors says:

The '96 V8 "Customer Use" pin #4 (323 LB/Y) is for a PTO indicator light circuit to change EEC strategies & self-diagnostics for stationary hi-RPM use.

https://fordbbas.com/non-html/1997/c24_25_p.pdf

POWER TAKE-OFF CIRCUIT INSTALLATIONS REQUIRES:

1) VOLTAGE WHEN PTO IS OPERATING

2) VOLTAGE OFF WHEN PTO IS OFF, OR WHEN IGNITION IS OFF

3) PCM / PTO CIRCUIT MUST BE ELECTRICALLY ISOLATED FROM THE SOLENOID, OR PCM DAMAGE COULD RESULT

1. Splice circuit 640, R/Y, located on the driver side under the instrument panel, labeled "Power Take-Off Circuit," to the body builder installed wire that connects to the positive side of the PTO indicator switch or PTO control relay.

2. Splice circuit 323, LB/Y, located on the driver side underhood, labeled "Power Take-Off Circuit," to the body builder-installed wire that connects to the positive (Switched) side of the PTO indicator light.

Failure to properly connect this wire may result in erroneous emissions codes and illumination of the "Check Engine" light during PTO operation.

In electrically actuated systems, the wire labeled "Power Take-Off Circuit," must be isolated from the solenoid or PCM DAMAGE COULD RESULT.

Got a bit more done today, including the step of labeling all of the wires on the PDB side of the picture below. So essentially all of the wiring in that pic has been labeled, as well as some that I removed since I'm not using them.

Having said that, I did add one back - Reference voltage to the TPS. It also supports the EGR DPFE and since I'm not running EGR I don't need that sensor. But I realized today as I was checking every wire going through C101 that it also serves the TPS, so I added it back.

And, I discovered that I also removed Fuse 5 from the PDB and it serves the speed control module. Plus I'm going to use it to power the brake pressure switch since Fuse 5 is switched and I don't want that switch to have always-on power. But I saved all of the connectors so it won't take much to put them back.

Anyway, it is starting to take shape. A bit more work and I can put it in the truck for a test fit and that will let me figure out how long the wires need to be to go through the firewall to the computer. And it'll let me figure out how long the wires need to be to connect to C321, C323, C325, and C727.

EFI_Harness_Taking_Shape.thumb.jpg.e796fd36c0c73867c39274254142fd23.jpg

Got a bit more done today, including the step of labeling all of the wires on the PDB side of the picture below. So essentially all of the wiring in that pic has been labeled, as well as some that I removed since I'm not using them.

Having said that, I did add one back - Reference voltage to the TPS. It also supports the EGR DPFE and since I'm not running EGR I don't need that sensor. But I realized today as I was checking every wire going through C101 that it also serves the TPS, so I added it back.

And, I discovered that I also removed Fuse 5 from the PDB and it serves the speed control module. Plus I'm going to use it to power the brake pressure switch since Fuse 5 is switched and I don't want that switch to have always-on power. But I saved all of the connectors so it won't take much to put them back.

Anyway, it is starting to take shape. A bit more work and I can put it in the truck for a test fit and that will let me figure out how long the wires need to be to go through the firewall to the computer. And it'll let me figure out how long the wires need to be to connect to C321, C323, C325, and C727.

It was a short day, but I got a bit done.

First, I added the connectors for Fuse 5 in the PDB. But I didn't connect the feed for that to the R/LG wire that feeds Fuse 22, the only other switched-power fuse. That's 'cause those wires are stiff and I wanted to know which way to feed them - towards the engine or towards the fender.

So, that took me to the truck and I quickly realized that I needed to identify all of those pesky connectors, like C321, 3, & 5. Man, those things are hard to ID as the wire colors on BB don't always match perfectly with the EVTM. But I finally got them ID'd and labeled. In fact, I got the fog and backup light relays removed and their wires labeled.

But removing wire loom and tie wraps allowed me to move the wires around enough to open up the space where he PDB is going and test-fit the bracket. It fits, sorta, as you can see below. But it is too close to the shiny Cole Hersee relay that parallels the two batteries, so I'm going to turn it 90 degrees and mount it on the fender. That will give me almost 2" of space so I can move the PDB closer to the fender.

However, that's something I'll work on Saturday as tomorrow we have things going on at church.

Need_To_Move_CH_Relay.thumb.jpg.2f1d670188dad9a42e85991d59a8ab6f.jpg

It was a short day, but I got a bit done.

First, I added the connectors for Fuse 5 in the PDB. But I didn't connect the feed for that to the R/LG wire that feeds Fuse 22, the only other switched-power fuse. That's 'cause those wires are stiff and I wanted to know which way to feed them - towards the engine or towards the fender.

So, that took me to the truck and I quickly realized that I needed to identify all of those pesky connectors, like C321, 3, & 5. Man, those things are hard to ID as the wire colors on BB don't always match perfectly with the EVTM. But I finally got them ID'd and labeled. In fact, I got the fog and backup light relays removed and their wires labeled.

But removing wire loom and tie wraps allowed me to move the wires around enough to open up the space where he PDB is going and test-fit the bracket. It fits, sorta, as you can see below. But it is too close to the shiny Cole Hersee relay that parallels the two batteries, so I'm going to turn it 90 degrees and mount it on the fender. That will give me almost 2" of space so I can move the PDB closer to the fender.

However, that's something I'll work on Saturday as tomorrow we have things going on at church.

This build thread sure does move along... I'm away for a few weeks and miss pages, not just a few posts! The insulated cold air intake is a nice touch Gary, it continues the space age look of your cabin air handler!:nabble_smiley_good:

Did you get the camera system sorted? I might have missed it in skimming over pages to catch up. And I'm super envious of the captain's chairs!

This build thread sure does move along... I'm away for a few weeks and miss pages, not just a few posts! The insulated cold air intake is a nice touch Gary, it continues the space age look of your cabin air handler!:nabble_smiley_good:

Did you get the camera system sorted? I might have missed it in skimming over pages to catch up. And I'm super envious of the captain's chairs!

Welcome back!

Yes, things are moving along. I spend most days in my shop working on Big Blue, as well as answering questions for others, and I like to report on what I've done.

And the insulation on the air inlet tubing has been a goal since I read an article on tests I guy ran on a Ford truck with EFI. He insulated the intake and that increased the MPG a bit. However, if I remember correctly that was a speed-density system and I don't think the results will be the same on a MAF system. Still, it can't hurt and, as you said, looks space age. :nabble_smiley_wink:

As for the mirror, I did get it going. It works well but I sure hope they come out with the waterproof front camera.