Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Ok, a combo of C321 and C325 it is. I'll bridge them in my harness. That way if anyone if using this approach it can all be done in the EFI harness.

As for the numbering scheme, that makes sense. And it helps.

Thanks.

Looks like you're making some progress there. In the picture above I see a can of brake cleaner; what are you using that for?

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like you're making some progress there. In the picture above I see a can of brake cleaner; what are you using that for?

I use the brake cleaner to clean the wire's insulation so I can determine the colors. Makes a huge difference. These wires are dirty, as my hands will attest, and it is really hard to know what colors the wires have on them. But it is critical that I get it right, so I spend a lot of time cleaning.

And yes, I'm making progress - now that I've resolved the ignition module issue. Next up is reconnecting the speed control's connector as it has wires dangling. Then I'll need to connect the switched-power, oil pressure & coolant temp, tach, VSS, horn pad, BOO, etc, etc, etc. However, there is an end to all of it, and I'm REALLY looking forward to it.

Last night I was looking at what Binary Editor does. BE is the software that Bill and I use to connect to the EEC's computer, and it allows both changing parameters as well as just monitoring things. Just being able to monitor AFR for each bank, inlet air temp, engine coolant temp, and lots of other things is a big benefit.

I use the brake cleaner to clean the wire's insulation so I can determine the colors. Makes a huge difference. These wires are dirty, as my hands will attest, and it is really hard to know what colors the wires have on them. But it is critical that I get it right, so I spend a lot of time cleaning.And yes, I'm making progress - now that I've resolved the ignition module issue. Next up is reconnecting the speed control's connector as it has wires dangling. Then I'll need to connect the switched-power, oil pressure & coolant temp, tach, VSS, horn pad, BOO, etc, etc, etc. However, there is an end to all of it, and I'm REALLY looking forward to it.Last night I was looking at what Binary Editor does. BE is the software that Bill and I use to connect to the EEC's computer, and it allows both changing parameters as well as just monitoring things. Just being able to monitor AFR for each bank, inlet air temp, engine coolant temp, and lots of other things is a big benefit.
Actually, as I think about it, the speed control wiring isn't the next step. In fact, I've put together the document below to help me think through the plan of attack. I'll share it here but I know it'll be changing.

For instance, I need to add documentation steps all along the way. And revise what's done when - like wiring C321/3/5 can't happen until I figure out how long they need to be.

Anyway, this is a start:

Actually, as I think about it, the speed control wiring isn't the next step. In fact, I've put together the document below to help me think through the plan of attack. I'll share it here but I know it'll be changing.

For instance, I need to add documentation steps all along the way. And revise what's done when - like wiring C321/3/5 can't happen until I figure out how long they need to be.

Anyway, this is a start:

Plan of action looks good! I did a similar one on my konvertible, but as an Excel spread sheet where I could move things up or down the list if I found the sequence needed revising, and the column after the step had a Y or N for status, Y for done, N for not done.Gary, OBD-II connector also needs battery power and ground, on the 1996 trucks it is connected to the cigarette lighter at the ash tray area.

Plan of action looks good! I did a similar one on my konvertible, but as an Excel spread sheet where I could move things up or down the list if I found the sequence needed revising, and the column after the step had a Y or N for status, Y for done, N for not done.

Gary, OBD-II connector also needs battery power and ground, on the 1996 trucks it is connected to the cigarette lighter at the ash tray area.

Thanks, Bill.

A spreadsheet would work nicely for that. Hadn’t thought of it.

As for the OBD-II connector, any reason for having always-on power? I have both that and switched power there.

Thanks, Bill.

A spreadsheet would work nicely for that. Hadn’t thought of it.

As for the OBD-II connector, any reason for having always-on power? I have both that and switched power there.

Most scan tools look for the battery power and will not communicate without it. I believe the Mongoose pro cable uses it to get the needed 18V to enable the reflash.

Ok, then I'd better make it always-on rather than switched. Thanks,

Progress. If you go look at the to-do list you'll find the PDB checked off. That's cause I pulled all of the extraneous stuff out of the box and wired up the two relays today. So the PDB is now ready to go.

And while it doesn't look like much, it looks good to me. :nabble_smiley_wink:

EFI_PDB_Done.thumb.jpg.a6e16eff365034e27a3e1e88e93c72c9.jpg

However, things didn't go exactly perfectly. I made a list of the terminals to pull out and I included Fuse 9. But that was to be used for the PCM Power Relay and the PCM itself. Unfortunately as I pulled the terminal out the retaining clip in the PDB broke off, so I moved that function to Fuse 10 and changed the documentation to match. :nabble_smiley_sad:

And, I found that the power feed to the MAF and IAT sensors was burned in one spot. So I cut a small section of the wire out to repair the connection, but the wire was corroded quite a way back from the spot shown below, so I wound up cutting out a 9" section and grafting a new wire in.

MAF__IAT_Power_Wire.thumb.jpg.4dab5c84d802ff05d18840e993970005.jpg

Progress. If you go look at the to-do list you'll find the PDB checked off. That's cause I pulled all of the extraneous stuff out of the box and wired up the two relays today. So the PDB is now ready to go.

And while it doesn't look like much, it looks good to me. :nabble_smiley_wink:

However, things didn't go exactly perfectly. I made a list of the terminals to pull out and I included Fuse 9. But that was to be used for the PCM Power Relay and the PCM itself. Unfortunately as I pulled the terminal out the retaining clip in the PDB broke off, so I moved that function to Fuse 10 and changed the documentation to match. :nabble_smiley_sad:

And, I found that the power feed to the MAF and IAT sensors was burned in one spot. So I cut a small section of the wire out to repair the connection, but the wire was corroded quite a way back from the spot shown below, so I wound up cutting out a 9" section and grafting a new wire in.

Bill - While I'm thinking about it, I'm planning on feeding both the PCM and the speed control the output of the VSS unit on the back of the transfer case. Is that ok? I know that it expects the output to be from the PSOM and I don't know if the VSS output is too high of voltage, the wrong waveform, or the wrong frequency.

Bill - While I'm thinking about it, I'm planning on feeding both the PCM and the speed control the output of the VSS unit on the back of the transfer case. Is that ok? I know that it expects the output to be from the PSOM and I don't know if the VSS output is too high of voltage, the wrong waveform, or the wrong frequency.

The PSOM simply converts the pulse count from the rear axle or 4WABS system to what the old speed sensor generated. Prior to 1992 there was no PSOM, at least Ford kept comparability on their systems unlike Chrysler.