Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And here's the new task - surgery on the harnii. I have the patients on the operating table.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n113618/Harness_Surgery_Table.jpg

Measure twice and cut once! :nabble_smiley_good:

Ughhhh......that gives me a headache just looking at it. I love my carburetor!!!

And here's the new task - surgery on the harnii. I have the patients on the operating table.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n113618/Harness_Surgery_Table.jpg

Measure twice and cut once! :nabble_smiley_good:

Now do you understand why I salvage every piece of harness from anything I strip? For the most part my harnii have the correct colors throughout. After working on a 1970 Rover 3500 where the wires were all white, and colour tagged only at the ends (Joe Lucas was alive and well and resided in the harnii) I made it a point to do that as much as possible.

Here was my first major harness rework job, converting my 1985 LeBaron from the 2.6L with a cracked head to a 2.2L TurboII engine that had been in a 1987 LeBaron 4 dr sedan (still a K car).

This was 8 May 2004.

87_K_LeBaron_front_harness.thumb.jpg.29aea3d1dd56d1228a5a21fa42bca384.jpg

Now do you understand why I salvage every piece of harness from anything I strip? For the most part my harnii have the correct colors throughout. After working on a 1970 Rover 3500 where the wires were all white, and colour tagged only at the ends (Joe Lucas was alive and well and resided in the harnii) I made it a point to do that as much as possible.

Here was my first major harness rework job, converting my 1985 LeBaron from the 2.6L with a cracked head to a 2.2L TurboII engine that had been in a 1987 LeBaron 4 dr sedan (still a K car).

This was 8 May 2004.

Ohhhhh...absolutely, Bill! Personally, I'd take a root canal over delving into that mess! But, I'm thinking you and Gary really enjoy the challenge, which I totally get.

Ohhhhh...absolutely, Bill! Personally, I'd take a root canal over delving into that mess! But, I'm thinking you and Gary really enjoy the challenge, which I totally get.

Well, I can't say that I enjoy the challenge, but I sure believe I'll enjoy the EFI so that makes the challenge worth it.

And, I've also saved all the harnii, so I have a number of options when wiring. And I try to be careful to put the same colors back. But I didn't last round and caused myself some confusion today. I replaced the resistance wire w/a R/Y. Should have pulled some PK/BK to replace the resistance wire with, but then I'd not remember that it isn't resistance wire. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Big_Blue_s_Fuel_Pump_Power.thumb.jpg.0c0de60b5d66c7bfa327bdd05a25a7c6.jpg

Well, I can't say that I enjoy the challenge, but I sure believe I'll enjoy the EFI so that makes the challenge worth it.

And, I've also saved all the harnii, so I have a number of options when wiring. And I try to be careful to put the same colors back. But I didn't last round and caused myself some confusion today. I replaced the resistance wire w/a R/Y. Should have pulled some PK/BK to replace the resistance wire with, but then I'd not remember that it isn't resistance wire. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Gary, EFI fuel system NO RESISTANCE WIRE is used. Forget the 1985 hot fuel handling diagrams completely and use the 1985/86 EFI 5.0L without the frame mounted HP pump is the best way I can tell you. I did Darth using the 1990 F250 wiring, adding 35" to the front of the chassis harness and then getting a 24 pin chassis harness plug and as much of the harness as I could easily reach to complete the connections.

Since you are staying with the earlier wiring, I would suggest maybe using what Ford did from 1988 - 1991, 4 8 pin round color coded male/female plugs where the front underhood harness connected the the chassis harness. I have an assortment and the pin/socket terminals to make up nice weatherproof connections.

Gary, EFI fuel system NO RESISTANCE WIRE is used. Forget the 1985 hot fuel handling diagrams completely and use the 1985/86 EFI 5.0L without the frame mounted HP pump is the best way I can tell you. I did Darth using the 1990 F250 wiring, adding 35" to the front of the chassis harness and then getting a 24 pin chassis harness plug and as much of the harness as I could easily reach to complete the connections.

Since you are staying with the earlier wiring, I would suggest maybe using what Ford did from 1988 - 1991, 4 8 pin round color coded male/female plugs where the front underhood harness connected the the chassis harness. I have an assortment and the pin/socket terminals to make up nice weatherproof connections.

Yep, no resistance. That's why that resistance wire had already been cut out. But I unwrapped down to S160 to make sure. :nabble_smiley_wink:

As for connectors, there will need to be a big discussion on that - soon. I need to figure out what I have first and how many terminals I need in each. I don't want to do as I did on the passenger's side and get it together in a way that it can't easily come out. That was a pain.

Yep, no resistance. That's why that resistance wire had already been cut out. But I unwrapped down to S160 to make sure. :nabble_smiley_wink:

As for connectors, there will need to be a big discussion on that - soon. I need to figure out what I have first and how many terminals I need in each. I don't want to do as I did on the passenger's side and get it together in a way that it can't easily come out. That was a pain.

I was thinking of something that may be a problem once everything is converted.

Ford fuel supply system 1985-1989:

One or two in-tank low pressure pumps.

A frame mounted reservoir and switching valve combination (1985-86 containing a filter)

A high pressure Bosch pump drawing from the reservoir feeding the fuel rail at the front left of the engine.

These systems use the reservoir and switching valve to purge air from the fuel before the HP pump picks it up.

Ford fuel supply system 1990-1996:

One or two high pressure Fuel Pump Modules that contain a submerged high pressure pump and a siphon jet to keep the open top module full of fuel.

These systems use the siphon jet to continuously overfill the pump module so the pump always has fuel.

I do know from personal experience with Darth, that the hot fuel handling system and the later fuel pump module system, will starve for fuel on a long uphill run with a low fuel level in the front tank. Fuel slosh is generally not a problem as the early system allows air drawn in by the in-tank pump to purge and be returned to the tank and the later system, the siphon jet will quickly refill the module "bowl".

BB does not have either the original three pump system nor the later fuel pump modules, I believe what :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: did was put in the high pressure pumps that can be used to replace the ones in the fuel pump modules rather than the correct very low pressure pumps for the hot fuel handling package. Fuel slosh right now with the carburetor is not an issue as (a) you have a return line and (b) a small amount of air won't cause a huge issue, especially at a fair amount of throttle. With the EFI system, a slug of air becomes a royal PITA as the injectors don't handle it well and the pump will not maintain pressure until it is drawing liquid in again.

FWIW, that is why I was recommending using the 1985-89 fuel system layout, partially because at that point no one knew what pumps were installed.

I was thinking of something that may be a problem once everything is converted.

Ford fuel supply system 1985-1989:

One or two in-tank low pressure pumps.

A frame mounted reservoir and switching valve combination (1985-86 containing a filter)

A high pressure Bosch pump drawing from the reservoir feeding the fuel rail at the front left of the engine.

These systems use the reservoir and switching valve to purge air from the fuel before the HP pump picks it up.

Ford fuel supply system 1990-1996:

One or two high pressure Fuel Pump Modules that contain a submerged high pressure pump and a siphon jet to keep the open top module full of fuel.

These systems use the siphon jet to continuously overfill the pump module so the pump always has fuel.

I do know from personal experience with Darth, that the hot fuel handling system and the later fuel pump module system, will starve for fuel on a long uphill run with a low fuel level in the front tank. Fuel slosh is generally not a problem as the early system allows air drawn in by the in-tank pump to purge and be returned to the tank and the later system, the siphon jet will quickly refill the module "bowl".

BB does not have either the original three pump system nor the later fuel pump modules, I believe what :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: did was put in the high pressure pumps that can be used to replace the ones in the fuel pump modules rather than the correct very low pressure pumps for the hot fuel handling package. Fuel slosh right now with the carburetor is not an issue as (a) you have a return line and (b) a small amount of air won't cause a huge issue, especially at a fair amount of throttle. With the EFI system, a slug of air becomes a royal PITA as the injectors don't handle it well and the pump will not maintain pressure until it is drawing liquid in again.

FWIW, that is why I was recommending using the 1985-89 fuel system layout, partially because at that point no one knew what pumps were installed.

Big Blue has a complete new 1996 system, with new tanks, new FDM's, new lines, etc. So, there shouldn't be a problem - right?