Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Agree 100%!

And you see that in the first post on this page.

I was trying to point out there are shade tree methods vastly superior to engine oil.

But if you have the $ & time to get The Right Stuff from ARP, SPS or wherever, go for it!

Jim, the point I was trying to make was stick with the manufacturer's specified procedure if you are using aftermarket premium bolts or studs, then use what the yprescribe, if using OEM fasteners then use the OEM procedure. Lubiing the Ford bolts with something a slippery as ARP's lube may cause the bolts to be over stressed at the same torque value.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jim, the point I was trying to make was stick with the manufacturer's specified procedure if you are using aftermarket premium bolts or studs, then use what the yprescribe, if using OEM fasteners then use the OEM procedure. Lubiing the Ford bolts with something a slippery as ARP's lube may cause the bolts to be over stressed at the same torque value.

I thought that what I said last night about torque values being adjusted for less than optimal conditions was clear enough, but I guess not.

Of course "follow the instructions" (in deference to Gary) but the readings will never be as consistent as a properly lubed bolt.

I thought that what I said last night about torque values being adjusted for less than optimal conditions was clear enough, but I guess not.

Of course "follow the instructions" (in deference to Gary) but the readings will never be as consistent as a properly lubed bolt.

Oddly enough, the factory shop manual doesn't appear to say anything about lubricating 460 head bolts. But it does say that 4.9L head bolt threads should be lubricated by engine oil. That seems strange. But Scotty said to lube the threads and under the head with engine oil.

And, my comparison of using engine oil vs the ARP lube seemed to get the same results - the bolts torqued to the same positions.

Oddly enough, the factory shop manual doesn't appear to say anything about lubricating 460 head bolts. But it does say that 4.9L head bolt threads should be lubricated by engine oil. That seems strange. But Scotty said to lube the threads and under the head with engine oil.

And, my comparison of using engine oil vs the ARP lube seemed to get the same results - the bolts torqued to the same positions.

Speaking of the factory shop manual, it is a bit suspect in this sequence for installing the "hachet"/damper spacer and the damper:

3. Install crankshaft damper spacer on the inner

Woodruff key. Apply Gasket Maker

E2AZ-19562-B or equivalent meeting Ford

specification WSK-M2G348-A5 to the front of the

key on the crankshaft, and in the keyway inside

the crankshaft damper spacer, after installing

spacer. Install Woodruff key for crankshaft

vibration damper.

4. Apply Ford Multi-Purpose Grease

D0AZ-19584-AA or equivalent meeting Ford

specification ESB-M1C93-A to the front seal

rubbing surface of the crankshaft vibration

damper inner hub to prevent damage to the

crankshaft front seal. Apply Ford Multi-Purpose

Grease D0AZ-19584-AA or equivalent meeting

Ford specification ESB-M1C93-A to the front of

the crankshaft for crankshaft vibration damper

installation.

How do you apply Gasket Maker to the front of the key on the crankshaft after installing the damper spacer? And there's no "front seal rubbing surface" on the damper. :nabble_anim_confused:

So I applied grease to the spacer's front seal rubbing surface and then Permatex Super Form-A-Gasket to the front of the key as well as the keyway to the spacer and installed the spacer. Then I dobbed FAM on the front of the keyway and installed the damper.

And, having PC'd the pointer and damper bolt, the whole thing came out looking like this, although the flash washed out the dark blue. And, note that the damper has the 1/4 turns already marked, so I'm ready to start installing push rods and shims. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Damper_and_Pointer_Installed.thumb.jpg.13ebe14c8a03b59efeb92248417100d7.jpg

Speaking of the factory shop manual, it is a bit suspect in this sequence for installing the "hachet"/damper spacer and the damper:

3. Install crankshaft damper spacer on the inner

Woodruff key. Apply Gasket Maker

E2AZ-19562-B or equivalent meeting Ford

specification WSK-M2G348-A5 to the front of the

key on the crankshaft, and in the keyway inside

the crankshaft damper spacer, after installing

spacer. Install Woodruff key for crankshaft

vibration damper.

4. Apply Ford Multi-Purpose Grease

D0AZ-19584-AA or equivalent meeting Ford

specification ESB-M1C93-A to the front seal

rubbing surface of the crankshaft vibration

damper inner hub to prevent damage to the

crankshaft front seal. Apply Ford Multi-Purpose

Grease D0AZ-19584-AA or equivalent meeting

Ford specification ESB-M1C93-A to the front of

the crankshaft for crankshaft vibration damper

installation.

How do you apply Gasket Maker to the front of the key on the crankshaft after installing the damper spacer? And there's no "front seal rubbing surface" on the damper. :nabble_anim_confused:

So I applied grease to the spacer's front seal rubbing surface and then Permatex Super Form-A-Gasket to the front of the key as well as the keyway to the spacer and installed the spacer. Then I dobbed FAM on the front of the keyway and installed the damper.

And, having PC'd the pointer and damper bolt, the whole thing came out looking like this, although the flash washed out the dark blue. And, note that the damper has the 1/4 turns already marked, so I'm ready to start installing push rods and shims. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Nice details! :nabble_smiley_good:

Nice details! :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks, David. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Got started on adjusting the pre-load on the lifters this afternoon. Talked to Scott to confirm my understanding that I want 1/4 to 1/2 turn on the bolt after all the slack is out of the valve train, and it doesn't matter if no shim is needed or if the .020" or .035" shims are needed. Yep, that's right. And, he said that this adjustment will help with the top end of the RPM range.

With that I got started on the valve train and #1's and #5's valves adjusted. I'll document what I do for each of the cylinders tomorrow, but so far I've used no shims on two and the .020" shims on two.

And, by the way, Scott recently said about my efforts on the valve train "You are making this too hard, Gary!" And today he asked "Are you an engineer?" Guilty! :nabble_smiley_evil:

Thanks, David. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Got started on adjusting the pre-load on the lifters this afternoon. Talked to Scott to confirm my understanding that I want 1/4 to 1/2 turn on the bolt after all the slack is out of the valve train, and it doesn't matter if no shim is needed or if the .020" or .035" shims are needed. Yep, that's right. And, he said that this adjustment will help with the top end of the RPM range.

With that I got started on the valve train and #1's and #5's valves adjusted. I'll document what I do for each of the cylinders tomorrow, but so far I've used no shims on two and the .020" shims on two.

And, by the way, Scott recently said about my efforts on the valve train "You are making this too hard, Gary!" And today he asked "Are you an engineer?" Guilty! :nabble_smiley_evil:

Not only an engineer, but probably should have worked at NASA. But that might have been a bad idea, he would probably be restoring an AMC Pacer. :nabble_smiley_grin:

Not only an engineer, but probably should have worked at NASA. But that might have been a bad idea, he would probably be restoring an AMC Pacer. :nabble_smiley_grin:

NASA? Not hardly. That's serious stuff.

As for a Pacer, I drove one once. Rent car. Rolled in the corners like a bowling ball. No way, Jose!!! Big Blue corners better than that.

... And Scott was 100% correct, on both counts!

We'd still be microanalising the switch layout for the Apollo capsule if Gary was in charge. :nabble_anim_blbl:

The factory shop manual is a bit suspect in this sequence for installing the "hachet"/damper spacer and the damper:

Squirt it in the end of the keyway, that you can still see?

Grease on the face of the spacer that contacts the damper could preclude rust, and difficult removal.

Pretty damper!

What exactly is that?